Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biggest regret of my life.....

Hello All,

I was reading some amazing stories here....

It got me thinking.... about a regret in my life..... and I blame knowledge for this downfall....

DOES KNOWING THE VALUE OF A WATCH REALLY HELP YOU? PERHAPS IT IS BETTER NOT TO KNOW....

When I was young (18) I wanted a Rolex badly..... no particular model... JUST A ROLEX.
    I had a customer in the Jewellery business and the buying group he was in ..... they had a member who was a Rolex agent.

I said to him 1 thing - BUY ME THE CHEAPEST ROLEX YOU CAN GET ME.

With that.... he made the call and a few weeks later he rang to say it arrived.....

I was so excited.... I could not wait... I did not care what model it was..... I was thinking mid size Air-King with white dial.....

Well... it was an L serial number 1016 Explorer 1..... the last of the plastic explorer 1 models....

I remember thinking a few days later (buyers remorse) .... I wish I had of got the sapphire model.... oh well... he was a customer/friend... I could hardly complain to him to say I was unhappy....

At the time my dad said... why did you spend all that money (AU$1585- on amex) for a plastic glass watch with no date...... My dad proudly displayed his $1500- Omega Seamaster Quartz in steel and gold (Gold plated actually)......which I gave him as I only need 1 watch!

A friend at the time laughed when he saw it,.... why the Rolex logo is so small on the explorer.... (I wish I could find him now).....

Anyway.... I had my first experience with a lady with this watch (admittedly a paid for experience)...... then an unpaid experience.... bought a new BMW 318i (e30 model - last of the last also... I must of had a thing for last of the range models)… I got married.... had a child... a house....... a business.....another child... a commercial property.... good money......

Then I did something silly.... I found TimeZone and realised that my 1016 was worth money..... serious money.... how cool is that... I paid $1500- for a thing that I used everyday.... and it is worth so much more......

I craved a Day Date..... then I sold it.... I remember selling it to Mark "The Hammer" for US$3500-? in 1998. Sadly The Hammer never got the watch as it was stolen in transit ...... (insurance covered my loss) ... but the Chicago mafia is what it is.....

I bought an 18K 18038 with blue dial...... not a minter ... but nice enough.... then I flicked the 18038 when a mint 18238 with diamond dial came up.....

Then I needed money... business fell off..... SO I SOLD THE 18238. (yes I made a profit).......

I then got divorced.... went overseas..... tasted many exotic women.... but something was missing.... MY EXPLORER 1

If I never knew the value of the watch I would still have it today...... since that time I have had 50, 60 luxury watches (selling 1 to pay for the next)..... None of my current watches have more than 2 years or so of history with me..... ( I have 5 watches now and a 6th piece on lend - Patek 5107, Vacheron Constantin 6405, Explorer 1 14270, Explorer II 16570, Speedmaster, and lent Cartier Quartz Panther Large Steel)

I would give anything for that L serial number 1016 watch.... unfortunately the US Mafia would have long sold that watch...... I will never get it back.....

I miss that watch.... unfortunately it did not go to a friend - so I can not visit.... it was lost by a thief at Chicago Airport (may you die in hell).....

I got married again in 2004.... but I have since sold the Cartier Steel Basculante I worn on that day...... I had another son in 2005 - but I sold the 5513 I was wearing on that day....... I had another son in 2006 - but I swapped the 16234 I was wearing then......

I drove a taxi for 2 years to pay for my holygrail piece - A white gold Patek Philippe Grand Taile!

That will be watch I will keep forever. I am seriously thinking of engraving the back - TO STOP ME RESELLING! (fortunately the 5107 has a display back so I can not engrave! ) ...... I want this watch to break the bad cycle I have of being a collector/trader/mini dealer....... I want something I can give to my son/s later in life and say this was a very special watch for me.......

I have 4 sons (yes I am blessed) - 2 with my first wife and 2 with my current wife. That means I will need 4 special watches..... I currently have 5. I am thinking another Rolex will complete the set......

In a way, I am glad for you that the biggest regret in your life comes in the form of the lost of a watch.....which is still material stuff... not the lost of a love one throught wrong decisions in life.....
    My Current

Rolex Daytona 116515
    Rolex Submariner 16610
    Rolex Submariner 116610
    Rolex Date 1550
    IWC Spitfire Chronograph 371705
    IWC Portuguese 7 Days 500107
    Omega Ocean Planet 22015000
    Bell & Ross Heritage BR126
    Grand Seiko GMT SBGM021
    Seiko Sumo SBDC001
    Seiko Sumo SBDC003
    Seiko Marinemaster SBDX012
    Seiko Brightz SDGZ013 Chronograph

Comment

Originally posted by lthg25 View Post
      In a way, I am glad for you that the biggest regret in your life comes in the form of the lost of a watch.....which is still material stuff... not the lost of a love one throught wrong decisions in life.....
      Well said!!!
      Current
      ------------
      SS Rolex Submariner (Black)
      SS Rolex Daytona (Black)
      SS Rolex Explorer II 42mm (Black)

Comment

I think I had read this before in other forum sometimes back IIRC.

Comment

Originally posted by Noriki View Post
          I think I had read this before in other forum sometimes back IIRC.
          you are right!
          “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

Comment

Just copy and paste from somewhere??

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
            Working...
            X