No announcement yet.

Guide : Buying Rolex in Europe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just came back from Rome, I dun think you can expect too much savings except in form of VAT refund. Just my 2 cents worth.
    Current babies:
    Sub 16610LN D series
    PAM 312 M series
    IWC 500112 Laureus Limited Edition

Wish list:
    116613LB?
    a good White dial watch

Comment

Yup, do agree too. Price around the same, just that if travelling, we'll get tax rebate...

Comment

Yup agreed too. With globalization, the watch companies control the international prices quite well. Tax rebate is the main thing...

Comment

With regards to utilising the green form in Germany- its quite complicated and not really worth the hassel. The refund process will involve sending all documents back to the retailer and its quite long timewise to obtain it. Also the retailer will send it to a German account which is required. Global blue is the easiest way .

Comment

Gurus, my bro is going Switzerland, Austria and then final destination is Italy.

I have asked him to help buy Rolex watch but I would like to know where to buy has better prices (Switzerland / Austria / Italy)?

If buying in Switzerland is best, how will he claim tax refund if he is not flying out of Switzerland? Remember his last stop is Italy.

Or price in Italy is just as good? How many % can I claim back in Italy? Possible to ask for discounts?

Wife wants new bags. Which brand is best buy? Chanel, gucci, LV, prada?

Comment

In Switzerland the VAT can be deducted automatically from the price of purchase if you buy from an AD like Bucherer. However I would not really recommend buying in Switzerland as its expensive due to exchange rate and the AD's there rarely discount at all. Also the net VAT refund is only around 4%. Austria also has Bucherer stores as well as a Wempe AD in Vienna. There are branches around the Stephansdorm area- downtown.Pricewise its actually quite good and the net refund is almost 14%. I would recommend buying there if the model that you're interested in available. If you buy in Austria ask the AD to fill in the VAT refund cheque and ask for the Global blue envelope. The procedure is once you leave the Eu , at the final destination - if Its in Italy you get the customs stamp on the cheque and claim the VAT if there is a Global blue office. Some airports in Italy and also in Europe do not have the cash offices but just a post box so the envelope is handy. If you totally forget to get the customs stamp , it becomes a problem but you can still get the VAT refund. All you have to do is to go the the consulate at home to get a export certification stamp on the cheque and send back to global blue refund for processing. There is a fairly strict timeframe - Its about 2 months from memory.

Comment

This video will give you an idea of how the process works:
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fym-KgiVKX4
                The important thing to watch for is the stamping process. You need to show the goods, official original receipt and also the VAT cheque. Sometimes the officials are in a rush and stamp the original receipt. Its the VAT cheque that needs the stamp in order for it to be processed.Also you need to fill in the forms correctly with all the details so its best to allocate lots of time at the airport.

Comment

I took down the model numbers from THG Spore. Will this be adequate for my bro when he shop in Europe? I believe the model numbers are standard worldwide? I don't dare take photos at THG. Don't think they allow.

Without claiming VAT in Austria / Italy, how much price advantage is it when buying in Austria / Italy as compared to Spore 10% discount from recommended price? I have also thought of buying in Changing Airport for the 7% GST savings.

Do shops in Austria / Italy give discounts like what Spore shops? If yes, how many %?

So I read that if my bro doesn't claim VAT at Austria, he can always do so at Italy airport? Assuming he forgets or doesn't have time to claim back VAT, can we do so in Spore?

Comment

It will depend on the model that you're interested in . If its a popular model like a SS submariner C in black, green; GMT 2 C; Daytona usually very little or none at all. If its a Two tone its negotiable and 10% can be obtained for a Sub, GMT, Daytona ,more for not that popular models like a Datejust or a watch that has been in the shop for a while. Heres the cost in Austria for the SS C its 6250 for the black;6600 green; 6170 for gmt 2 c; 8800 for a Daytona in euros as a comparison. AD's like Wempe, Bucherer will have the latest series for the popular models. There is a AD in Schewat airport in Vienna which has the VAT already deducted but the selections aren't that good or are limited.

He will not be able to claim if bought in Austria and flying out of the EU from Italy. The VAT refund stamp is only obtained at the last airport leaving the EU. The flight from Austria to Italy is still in the EU and there is no need to clear customs hence there is no opportunity to obtain the stamp . It becomes kind of complicated once you leave the EU without the stamp .You would need to visit the counsulate in your home country to obtain a export certification stamp on the VAT refund cheque . There usually is a admin fee charged and Global Blue will take at least 7 weeks to process it. You will receive a cheque in foreign currency which will take at least another month for clearence.

Comment

• Originally posted by e90koh View Post
                      I took down the model numbers from THG Spore. Will this be adequate for my bro when he shop in Europe? I believe the model numbers are standard worldwide? I don't dare take photos at THG. Don't think they allow.

Without claiming VAT in Austria / Italy, how much price advantage is it when buying in Austria / Italy as compared to Spore 10% discount from recommended price? I have also thought of buying in Changing Airport for the 7% GST savings.

Do shops in Austria / Italy give discounts like what Spore shops? If yes, how many %?

So I read that if my bro doesn't claim VAT at Austria, he can always do so at Italy airport? Assuming he forgets or doesn't have time to claim back VAT, can we do so in Spore?
                      i dont understand..u got the model numbers..why dont u just google the pix ???
                      Tag Heuer 2000 Professional Chronograph
                      Tag Heuer Formula 1
                      Rolex Datejust Oyster Perpetual 16234
                      Rolex Datejust Oyster Perpetual 116234
                      Rolex GMT II 16710
                      Sinn U1 SDR

Comment

• Claim VAT possible for watches ?

Hi fellow bros/sis

Please advise if it is possible to claim my VAT for my purchase in italy and thru global blue at my last stop in paris?

Please take note that purchase is in italy and not in paris. Not able to get customs chop from italy as travelling by bus or rail to switzerland then france back to singapore.

Also if above is not possible kindly advise some nice good watch stores in paris and how much VAT able to claim back in Paris?

Appreciate your kind feedbacks.

Comment

• If you're in Milan check out the AD on via Montenapoleone - Pisa Orologeria No 24.Lots of options and all the lastest series. If you're in Paris check out the Wempe branch .Its on 16 rue Royale.Price is Paris is quite high in comparison to other European cities. In Europe the best overall would be Germany for price, selection , availibility latest series etc, Austria is also pretty good.

With regards to your question , Yes you can certainly claim the VAT refund . The way it works essentially on your last place in the EU you are flying out from is the place you get your customs stamp which is the critical part of the entire VAT refund. From memory Paris has an even better system whereby you can even get your cash refund in the city.This is the thing with companies like Global Blue, some cities have their cash points and some airports have them but some airports don't.

Comment

• This is the link for the refund points and also the calculator:

http://www.global-blue.com/traveller...refund-points/

If you're getting your refund in the city , follow the instructions that the counter staff provide you correctly.There is the usual paperwork to be filled in as well.You will should get your cash there or have it credited to your credit card.

They will note your credit card , passport details , and forward them to customs. At the airport you still need the stamp and post back the paperwork to Global Blue.

Comment

• Thanks so much for the advice.

So buying in europe anywhere is not a problem if last departure airport is within europe to reclaim VAT.

Originally posted by praha335ci View Post
                              This is the link for the refund points and also the calculator:

http://www.global-blue.com/traveller...refund-points/

If you're getting your refund in the city , follow the instructions that the counter staff provide you correctly.There is the usual paperwork to be filled in as well.You will should get your cash there or have it credited to your credit card.

They will note your credit card , passport details , and forward them to customs. At the airport you still need the stamp and post back the paperwork to Global Blue.

Comment

• Yes that is the way it works. You can certainly buy in Italy, but if you're flying out in Paris , Paris is the place that you can claim. I would actually recommend getting the cash refund in Paris city rather than at the airport as sometimes it gets too busy. That way you have the cash there and then but you still need to get the customs to clear it and stamp the forms. If you don't send the paperwork back to global blue they will charge your credit card with the ammount that they paid out.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X