No announcement yet.

Daytona WG Black Dial 116509

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's right...but for the non-Rolex fan...nah still looks SS to them.

But of course it's not up to me to say anything...most important is TS likes the watch...that's what makes your money worth it.

Sometimes forgotten, but always contactable. Darkangel (2007-2014)

Comment

I was planning to buy an SS Daytona and asked to see both Black and White Dial. I made the mistake of asking to see the WG too(black face red hands).

What could be the big deal about the WG, right? Just a different hue of metal and some red hands.

After beholding close up the red hands contrasted with the black dial, the special more delineated font on the bezel, picking up the case and feeling its weight/texture and then . . ... WEARING it, I'm afraid I have lost all appetite for the SS whatsoever, either black or white face.

Forgive me, but my eyes just fixated on the WG and could not focus on either SS Daytona's, which literally paled in comparison.

After this, its either WG or no Daytona at all. If I buy an SS, I am afraid that everytime I look at it, it is definitely going to make me think of the WG.

The SS Daytonas are certainly very impressive watches. If you are all set to get one, be advised not to compare it side by side with the WG black dial red hands. Defintely don't pick up the WG to feel it. Most definitely don't wear the WG on your wrist. Very hard for me to take it off.
      Last edited by dsdfan99; 15-08-08, 11:48 PM.

Comment

i always loved WG, but the arguement against WG is that it looks like SS
        [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
        [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
        Blue 6694
        Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
        [U]"My collection"[/U]:
        [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by seiko.citizen View Post
          i always loved WG, but the arguement against WG is that it looks like SS
          Bro, everyone has their own opinion, WG is valuable metal, SS is cheap metal, SS can't compare...

SS Daytona Black Dial,
          SS GMT II coke, SS GMT IIC, TT GMT IIC,
          SS Sub Date, TT Sub Date Black,
          SS SD,
          SS YM,
          SS YM Mid Size,

Comment

Some, like you, are captivated by the WG, this is understandable

Originally posted by dsdfan99 View Post
            I was planning to buy an SS Daytona and asked to see both Black and White Dial. I made the mistake of asking to see the WG too(black face red hands).

What could be the big deal about the WG, right? Just a different hue of metal and some red hands.

After beholding close up the red hands contrasted with the black dial, the special more delineated font on the bezel, picking up the case and feeling its weight/texture and then . . ... WEARING it, I'm afraid I have lost all appetite for the SS whatsoever, either black or white face.

Forgive me, but my eyes just fixated on the WG and could not focus on either SS Daytona's, which literally paled in comparison.

After this, its either WG or no Daytona at all. If I buy an SS, I am afraid that everytime I look at it, it is definitely going to make me think of the WG.

The SS Daytonas are certainly very impressive watches. If you are all set to get one, be advised not to compare it side by side with the WG black dial red hands. Defintely don't pick up the WG to feel it. Most definitely don't wear the WG on your wrist. Very hard for me to take it off.
            because the WG piece has a very interesting black dial with red markings. However, I still prefer SS Rolex sports watches as my top choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Reborn View Post
              because the WG piece has a very interesting black dial with red markings. However, I still prefer SS Rolex sports watches as my top choice.
              Thinking practically (and putting aside appearances) one realises that SS and WG Daytonas both have the same excellent 4130 movement within.

Also, Steel is more resistant to damage than gold, which makes Steel more suitable for a sports watch, where Toughness and the ability to withstand impact are more important than prettiness. The extra heft and weight of the WG is just an illusion of toughness; the lighter SS will weather the storms better.

Another practical point is that WG will not hold its resale value as well as SS, since it is in a less accessible price bracket.

Amazing that a few strokes of red, a sharper bezel font, a bit of extra weight and finer texture can raise the asking price of a watch by more than double. It is just that each time I see an SS Daytona, the image of the WG black face/red hands involuntarily floats up in my mind and spoils everything. I'm sure SS Daytona fans are more practical, less emotional and can see beyond the surface appearance and feel.
              Last edited by dsdfan99; 16-08-08, 10:37 AM.

Comment

Also, Steel is more resistant to damage than gold, which makes Steel more suitable for a sports watch, where Toughness and the ability to withstand impact are more important than prettiness. The extra heft and weight of the WG is just an illusion of toughness; the lighter SS will weather the storms better.

...................... the image of the WG black face/red hands involuntarily floats up in my mind and spoils everything. I'm sure SS Daytona fans are more practical, less emotional and can see beyond the surface appearance and feel.
                I have hiked and swim with my GMT 2, I have dived with my Sub or SD... But I haven't do any sport with SS Daytona beside driving in my car, nor did I spot any guy wearing a SS Daytona for any kind of sport activities... Why? To me that is my best Sport Series watch, it is valuable and best looking, I wear it for any other occassion than sport.

Then WG is more valuable than SS, is my next target to own it, but that doesn't mean I will use my SS for sport after owning the WG...

SS Daytona Black Dial,
                SS SD,
                SS YM,
                SS YM Mid Size,

Comment

Originally posted by Reborn View Post
                  I think I now understand what you mean.

I've spent a bit more time comparing the WG and SS Daytonas. Although the WG Black dial red hands Daytona is very impressive when you first set eyes on it, I find the aggressive contrast between red and black can be a bit tiring to look at day after day.

Its was nice when that flashy dial hit me between the eyes the first few times. But it gets a bit disruptive after I gaze at it repeatedly.

In this regard, I am starting to find the SS Daytona dials are easier to look at and live with on a long term daily basis. SS also more practical as more durable not as easily damaged as WG (and holds its value far better.) This is not a case of sour grapes. It is always wonderful when the wiser choice is also the cheaper option.

Just goes to show that first impressions might not endure. This is just me, of course. Perhaps diehard WG Daytona fans may find themselves unable to get enough of the WG even as the years go by.
                  Last edited by dsdfan99; 21-08-08, 10:47 AM.

Comment

Actually, buy what smiles at you

I think I now understand what you mean.

I've spent a bit more time comparing the WG and SS Daytonas. Although the WG Black dial red hands Daytona is very impressive when you first set eyes on it, I find the aggressive contrast between red and black can be a bit tiring to look at day after day.

Its was nice when that flashy dial hit me between the eyes the first few times. But it gets a bit disruptive after I gaze at it repeatedly.

In this regard, I am starting to find the SS Daytona dials are easier to look at and live with on a long term daily basis. SS also more practical as more durable not as easily damaged as WG (and holds its value far better.) This is not a case of sour grapes. It is always wonderful when the wiser choice is also the cheaper option.

Just goes to show that first impressions might not endure. This is just me, of course. Perhaps diehard WG Daytona fans may find themselves unable to get enough of the WG even as the years go by.
                    I was initially very attracted to the same model as you, when it was first launched. At that time, the piece was really very very hot in Singapore and was booked by many before they even arrived in Singapore. I think I was somewhat dissuaded by the price at that time, more than 43k then I think.

Anyway, one other reason why a WG can also be a problem is because when they polish, they are going to shave off your gold. That one is quite painful when I think of it.

Comment

Originally posted by roosterkkk
                      Both Datona SS & WG are very desirable and not everyday wear.. Also not easily affordable..
                      How many of us actually uses the functions of the watches..
                      How many calculate the travelling speed with the Daytona..
                      How many really get to use the valve release of the SD..

Coincidentally, I was in Dickson SunTec yesterday..
                      SE offer WG Daytona Black with red markings.. $32.5k if cfm immed..
                      Thanks Roos for the info, 32.5k is really something...

My everyday watch is GMT II, Sub or Exp II... Daytona and YM only for occasionly.

SS Daytona Black Dial,
                      SS SD,
                      SS YM,
                      SS YM Mid Size,

Comment

32.5K is a lot of something bro..... can do a lot of things.. including a vietnamese wife, banquet, honeymoon. piah kim.. presents for the whole village....heheheh
                        actually I was eyeing this since last year...
                        You mean the vietnamese wife? Bro you the can, he he he.....

I can only dream of that, I better concentrate on the WG Daytona....

SS Daytona Black Dial,
                        SS SD,
                        SS YM,
                        SS YM Mid Size,

Comment

32.5K is a lot of something bro..... can do a lot of things.. including a vietnamese wife, banquet, honeymoon. piah kim.. presents for the whole village....heheheh
                          actually I was eyeing this since last year...
                          You eyeing the vietnamese wife, banquet, honeymoon. piah kim.. presents for the whole village ah? hehehe

Sometimes forgotten, but always contactable. Darkangel (2007-2014)

Comment

What kind I say? ....

Originally posted by Darkangel View Post
                            You eyeing the vietnamese wife, banquet, honeymoon. piah kim.. presents for the whole village ah? hehehe

On what 32.5k can do, the Singapore system has made us very pragmatic people, hahaha

Comment

32.5K... can do alot hor....
                              Vietnamese wife package includes flights, htl, selection process and banquet....... 6K
                              Piah kim.. to family ....2K (v. generous liao)
                              presents for family and villagers..2K.. (rolex form shenzhen)
                              Jewelery for wife.. about 3K.. must look good la..
                              arrangement for wife to go to English school and lodging in city for 2 mths.. about 1k
                              Bring wife and family to Sin about 5K..
                              Holiday for family in Sin about ..3k..
                              Total 22K.. (these is generous fig)
                              10K balance for a GMT2c heheheheh
                              Wow! I am totally impress by you... sure you did your homework.

Suggestion to you, get those from the mountain, I believe is even cheaper, may be can one shot marry 3 and then get govt tax incentive. Bravo Bravo...

SS Daytona Black Dial,
                              SS SD,
                              SS YM,
                              SS YM Mid Size,

Comment

heheheh these are based on mountain girls.. City girls are increasing $$
                                Like comparing Exp II and Daytona?

SS Daytona Black Dial,
                                SS SD,
                                SS YM,
                                SS YM Mid Size,

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse