Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pros/Cons of PI

Hi,

I have observed that some here, even with the cheaper prices of ROLEX watches as compared to our local ADs, did not wish to buy from the PIs (parallel import). I was wondering what are the reasons? We can share and these are my thoughts:

full cash payment (some can't afford )
    lack of after-sales service (include adjustment of strap size, etc)
    hassle of having to verify with RSC (got to view, buy, verify, etc)
    lack of trust (scared get cheated)

Good day everyone!
    The Crown Of Achievement

I have no problem with that.

I believed some are looking for after sales service, service by SRC can be expensive, so buyer are quite cautious about buying for PI.
    some are looking for pleasure of shopping, ie those AD got "sweet cute gals"

SS Daytona Black Dial,
    SS GMT II coke, SS GMT IIC, TT GMT IIC,
    SS Sub Date, TT Sub Date Black,
    SS SD,
    SS YM,
    SS YM Mid Size,

Comment

those grade AAA replicas are sometimes hard to differentiate by regular watch collector not to mention amatuer buyer.

Hence it is always good to get it from ADs though u might be paying a little more upfront but it gives u a peace of mind when come to after sales servicing of the purchase. Else u might end up topping up more should anything happen down the road.

those ADs have their reputation at stake and i am sure they dont want to risk losing the dealership and good will to the consumer.
      Tag Heuer 2000 Professional Chronograph
      Tag Heuer Formula 1
      Rolex Datejust Oyster Perpetual 16234
      Rolex Datejust Oyster Perpetual 116234
      Rolex GMT II 16710
      Sinn U1 SDR

Comment

Personally I have no problems buying from PIs. There are a few old timers out there and you can be sure they are trust worthy. Stuff like bracelet/strap adjustment can easily be done FOC at the respective brand's service center. So there shouldn't be any issue. As for reliability, at least I can vouch for Rolex. Their movements are virtually indestructible under normal usage. So you can be rest assured they are fuss free.

In fact I hardly buy anything from ADs locally these days. I find that their prices are not competitive especially if you don't have a history of spending crap load of money on "rubbish" watches from them first.

Just my $0.02 worth...
        Time is too precious to be measured by a cheap watch...

Patek 5065, Rolex 16600, 16700, 16710, IWC 3786, JLC Reverso Chrono, PAM 190G, PAM 219I, AP RO Chrono

Comment

talking about PI, this is the first time i heard there are PI for Rolex as well.

any recommendation of the few? to intro me can?

anyway, if price is competitive and PI is trustworthy and reputable I see no problem getting from them. Afterall, they need business too and word of mouth spread like wind so i doubt reputable PI dare to cheat too.

Comment

Guess it's a case of being safe than sorry. Pay maybe a few hundred bucks more to the AD and be assured that their purchase is safe and sound, without having wild thoughts about whether the PI's watch is fake or not while they sleep.

Comment

When I mention no problem buying from PI, which means, I will still send the watches to SRC for verification, this is a very important process that I advice all bros and sis to follow, saving in buying price is always more than enough to cover the $75 dollars. Just to share

SS Daytona Black Dial,
              SS SD,
              SS YM,
              SS YM Mid Size,

Comment

Do we still need to "waste" that $75 if the watch comes with plastic protector, paper & box from PI???

Originally posted by tomcatf View Post
                When I mention no problem buying from PI, which means, I will still send the watches to SRC for verification, this is a very important process that I advice all bros and sis to follow, saving in buying price is always more than enough to cover the $75 dollars. Just to share

Comment

Originally posted by 116520 View Post
                  Do we still need to "waste" that $75 if the watch comes with plastic protector, paper & box from PI???
                  Honestly its up to the buyer. Different folks have different comfort levels. Personally, I won't for contemporary models but vintage is a different story!

Patek 5065, Rolex 16600, 16700, 16710, IWC 3786, JLC Reverso Chrono, PAM 190G, PAM 219I, AP RO Chrono

Comment

If that process of checking/wasting $75 makes the prospective buyer comfortable, I guess it's a good move.

Comment

Originally posted by jazziceman View Post
                      talking about PI, this is the first time i heard there are PI for Rolex as well.

any recommendation of the few? to intro me can?

anyway, if price is competitive and PI is trustworthy and reputable I see no problem getting from them. Afterall, they need business too and word of mouth spread like wind so i doubt reputable PI dare to cheat too.

I believe there are some stickied posts on this site with regards to PIs and/or pre-owned dealers. While I haven't personally bought anything from him, Yeo Kim Choy is also one long timer who has nice pieces at decent prices. You should be able to google his name.

And as tomcatf has mentioned, $75 is a small amount to buy yourself a piece of mind. Most of the time, even with the verification fee added to your purchase price, it still comes up cheaper than what you can get from local ADs.

Comment

I hope didn't mislead. My term for "PI" includes those people selling BNIB watches in our Garage & Sales Thread. There are few regular sellers there and most of the times, their prices are really good. However I still see people buying similar pieces from ADs, instead of going for cheaper prices, they can get from our sellers.

This is why it beats me .
                        The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

AAA fake comes with box, paper and everything, they just look real.... that's why people got cheated for trusting the crook.

If you got cheated before or has learnt the lesson through your friends losses, then you will find that $75 is not a waste.

For a small fee of $75 to prove a few thousand of dollars worth of goods, than spending additional hundreds or thousand more to AD's bank account, which is more money wise? Again is individual....

SS Daytona Black Dial,
                          SS SD,
                          SS YM,
                          SS YM Mid Size,

Comment

Originally posted by Oceanklassik View Post
                            I hope didn't mislead. My term for "PI" includes those people selling BNIB watches in our Garage & Sales Thread. There are few regular sellers there and most of the times, their prices are really good. However I still see people buying similar pieces from ADs, instead of going for cheaper prices, they can get from our sellers.

You make people blur lor! PI means people like Yeo Kim Choy...

Sometimes forgotten, but always contactable. Darkangel (2007-2014)

Comment

Originally posted by Oceanklassik View Post

Shoppers are like me once, always get the kind of rush or impulse, see something attractive sure get hook, couple with "sweet tongue" sales staff of AD, sure die one, that's why "PG" hire so many young sweet things to sell watches...

But, put thing in other perspective, if not because of this human behaviour, we would not be able to get stuff below AD's cost.

SS Daytona Black Dial,
                              SS SD,
                              SS YM,
                              SS YM Mid Size,

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...