No announcement yet.

Pros/Cons of PI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But I heard that the rolex prices at local ADs were controlled by RSC. If a rolex is sold a special discount, the AD will not write the watch model number on its invoice as I was told that they afraid RSC will punish them... really?
    If that's the case, why RSC don't punish these PIs???

Originally posted by Darkangel View Post
    Of course not.

Yes all Rolexes are supplied by Rolex or RSC whichever is the same. 1 supplier,1 manufacturer.

How the PIs get the watches? Coz the ADs sell to the PIs...like those overstocks and stuff...it's called the grey market

Comment

Originally posted by 116520 View Post
      But I heard that the rolex prices at local ADs were controlled by RSC. If a rolex is sold a special discount, the AD will not write the watch model number on its invoice as I was told that they afraid RSC will punish them... really?

As it is, I think it is going to be hard to enforce - even with their own ADs. There is also this fine line of going overboard with compliance and pissing their sales/distribution channel off. RSC can of course play the high hand but they will have to weigh the risk.

As for PIs, it will also be tough to enforce against the freelancers who do not have a business registration. It is akin to stopping people like you and I who happen to buy an extra piece or two in Hong Kong and selling them back home. Going to cost them a lot of legal fees which may end up with publicity backlash and nothing to gain.

Also notice that the registered dealers always have to state clearly (usually in their website) that they are not affiliated to Rolex in any way? They need to do that to protect their backsides from the RSC legal juggernaut!
      Time is too precious to be measured by a cheap watch...

Patek 5065, Rolex 16600, 16700, 16710, IWC 3786, JLC Reverso Chrono, PAM 190G, PAM 219I, AP RO Chrono

Comment

Mainly lack of awareness and the trust issue

Originally posted by Oceanklassik View Post
        Hi,

I have observed that some here, even with the cheaper prices of ROLEX watches as compared to our local ADs, did not wish to buy from the PIs (parallel import). I was wondering what are the reasons? We can share and these are my thoughts:

full cash payment (some can't afford )
        lack of after-sales service (include adjustment of strap size, etc)
        hassle of having to verify with RSC (got to view, buy, verify, etc)
        lack of trust (scared get cheated)

Good day everyone!
        Many people are afraid to pay large amounts to buy from a pre-owned shop because:

a) worried about getting cheated
        b) they do not know that good deals can be got from parallel dealers

You just have to look at the 116520 - some people probably think "hey, I am paying 17-18 grand, better pay a bit more and make sure it is 100% ok, than to save 1-2k and risk getting cheated"

However, once the same people get to know trustworthy shops or sellers, they may change their mind and also their style of buying watches...

Comment

Yes, n tats mainly my concern too. I'm serious abt getting a ROLEX pro series but prices btwn an AD here n PI differs quite substantially. Well at least in a few hundreds of dollars. I really wish to find out frm those here who hv experienced tis abt getting from PIs. I did ask one in te Sales Thread if I could view te watch he was selling n he said I shld knw how tis particular model looks like n no need any viewing

Why nt?! I knw how a Sub looks like but I oso wan to knw how his Sub looks like. I was going to buy his Sub, n nt anothr pc right?? One thing sme sellers here may nt realise is customers oso need a little "push" to buy. Sme may b harder, sme slight only. I may b half-hearted when I was travelling to view te watch but if I get to see it in its entirety n original state, n like it so much, I may jus buy it. No qns asked!

Think if its so troublesome jus to save tat few hundreds, might as well get frm ADs here. Can use CC oso.

Jus my personal take. No offence.
          The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Well I am not a AD...so I dunno how they work...hahaha but I need to know so much of how to do it...my Rolex from PI is cheap..that's more impt!

Originally posted by chongj88 View Post
            As it is, I think it is going to be hard to enforce - even with their own ADs. There is also this fine line of going overboard with compliance and pissing their sales/distribution channel off. RSC can of course play the high hand but they will have to weigh the risk.

As for PIs, it will also be tough to enforce against the freelancers who do not have a business registration. It is akin to stopping people like you and I who happen to buy an extra piece or two in Hong Kong and selling them back home. Going to cost them a lot of legal fees which may end up with publicity backlash and nothing to gain.

Also notice that the registered dealers always have to state clearly (usually in their website) that they are not affiliated to Rolex in any way? They need to do that to protect their backsides from the RSC legal juggernaut!
            Yeah agreed...

Sometimes forgotten, but always contactable. Darkangel (2007-2014)

Comment

at the end of the day, you have to determine your comfort level. if you are comfortable buying PI with/without authentication then you go ahead. otherwise dont buy.
              [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
              [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
              Blue 6694
              Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
              [U]"My collection"[/U]:
              [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

But you guys are afraid of buying from PIs, what kind of guarantee you can get from your Local ADs since they are not willing to put the watch model in their invoice!!! Right?

So back to square one.. as long as you are getting a real watch, with rolex warranty still valid, no problem lah... who cares singapore warranty card, HK W C, or Japan W C....

Comment

But you guys are afraid of buying from PIs, what kind of guarantee you can get from your Local ADs since they are not willing to put the watch model in their invoice!!! Right?

So back to square one.. as long as you are getting a real watch, with rolex warranty still valid, no problem lah... who cares singapore warranty card, HK W C, or Japan W C....
                  My sentiments exactly... But to each his or her own lah. After all, its your hard earned money! You and only you choose the way you want to spend it.
                  Time is too precious to be measured by a cheap watch...

Patek 5065, Rolex 16600, 16700, 16710, IWC 3786, JLC Reverso Chrono, PAM 190G, PAM 219I, AP RO Chrono

Comment

You happy can liaos...

Sometimes forgotten, but always contactable. Darkangel (2007-2014)

Comment

Guys, any PI to recommend? looking for WG Daytona.

SS Daytona Black Dial,
                      SS GMT II coke, SS GMT IIC, TT GMT IIC,
                      SS Sub Date, TT Sub Date Black,
                      SS SD,
                      SS YM,
                      SS YM Mid Size,

Comment

I think Mr Tong at Top Hour - Lucky Plaza has one piece in his showcase. The model with the Black Dial, red hands. Cannot remember the model number for that one.

Comment

The problem with some Singaporean buyers is that

Originally posted by Oceanklassik View Post
                          Yes, n tats mainly my concern too. I'm serious abt getting a ROLEX pro series but prices btwn an AD here n PI differs quite substantially. Well at least in a few hundreds of dollars. I really wish to find out frm those here who hv experienced tis abt getting from PIs. I did ask one in te Sales Thread if I could view te watch he was selling n he said I shld knw how tis particular model looks like n no need any viewing

Why nt?! I knw how a Sub looks like but I oso wan to knw how his Sub looks like. I was going to buy his Sub, n nt anothr pc right?? One thing sme sellers here may nt realise is customers oso need a little "push" to buy. Sme may b harder, sme slight only. I may b half-hearted when I was travelling to view te watch but if I get to see it in its entirety n original state, n like it so much, I may jus buy it. No qns asked!

Think if its so troublesome jus to save tat few hundreds, might as well get frm ADs here. Can use CC oso.

Jus my personal take. No offence.
                          they like to ask to see the watch just for fun, and then try to low ball during viewing. Not saying you are one of them but there are quite a number of Singaporean buyers who are like that. Their favourite question - Eh what's the best price ah, got discount or not? even after the seller's price has been made known to them. So some of the PIs get quite pissed off, and only want to deal with those whom they sense are ready with cash to pull the trigger. I know of PIs who do not want to sell to locals because of such experiences. Anyway, this is what I have heard from some of the local PIs that I know.

So maybe if you are serious about the watch, tell the person if the watch satisfies your condition - for example Brand New in Box - you will pay on delivery and that you are serious. Perhaps that might convince the seller to take you seriously.

Comment

personally i feel that for asking for further discount is nothing wrong. however, be realistic in asking for discount. this is because the PI prices are generally lower than that of AD.
                            if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
                            1. subject heading indicating your issue
                            2. your nick
                            3. your corresponding email address
                            4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

Originally posted by Reborn View Post
                              I think Mr Tong at Top Hour - Lucky Plaza has one piece in his showcase. The model with the Black Dial, red hands. Cannot remember the model number for that one.
                              Thanks bro, it matches the WG Daytona that I am looking, will check it out ASAP.

SS Daytona Black Dial,
                              SS GMT II coke, SS GMT IIC, TT GMT IIC,
                              SS Sub Date, TT Sub Date Black,
                              SS SD,
                              SS YM,
                              SS YM Mid Size,

Comment

Originally posted by Reborn View Post
                                they like to ask to see the watch just for fun, and then try to low ball during viewing. Not saying you are one of them but there are quite a number of Singaporean buyers who are like that. Their favourite question - Eh what's the best price ah, got discount or not? even after the seller's price has been made known to them. So some of the PIs get quite pissed off, and only want to deal with those whom they sense are ready with cash to pull the trigger. I know of PIs who do not want to sell to locals because of such experiences. Anyway, this is what I have heard from some of the local PIs that I know.

So maybe if you are serious about the watch, tell the person if the watch satisfies your condition - for example Brand New in Box - you will pay on delivery and that you are serious. Perhaps that might convince the seller to take you seriously.
                                Originally posted by triton View Post
                                personally i feel that for asking for further discount is nothing wrong. however, be realistic in asking for discount. this is because the PI prices are generally lower than that of AD.
                                Thanks for sharing. Yes, agree wif u both. But my opinion is, if u r selling s'thing, such instances r unavoidable right? I put up my watch for sale too n thre too, r "low ballers" but I didnt reject them, or run them dwn. It's jus too bad. Well, I'll hope meet a gd PI one day.

Cheers!
                                The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X