Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions on old Rolex watch

Hi,

Just join this forum as my mother-in-law just passed me a rolex watch left behind by my father-in-law. She wants to know whether it still have value as she wants to sell it and use the money to do charity work.

I believe that the watch is Authentic but I can't figure out the Garantie that comes with the watch as the Montre No on it does not tally with the Serial Number I found on the watch. Anyone can tell me how to check the authenticity of the watch or any shop in Singapore that i can take to to check and also put a value to it?

Appreciate your help, thanks!

If you can post a picture of it on here, all the forum members may try to give you a free valuation.

Comment

Thanks kenlinliu1419!

These are the pictures:

The cert:

I even have a receipt the bears the same serial number and date of purchase as the one on the Garantie from shop it was brought from but I am just puzzled why the no on the Garantie is 7,xxx,xxx while the one on the watch is 3,xxx,xxx

Comment

That guarantee cert is for a different watch altogether; Rolex 6694. It doesn't match the Datejust model you have.
        Yours looks like it's a 1970s watch especially if it is a 3 million serial numbr. Doesn't it have the Rolex duo-tone bracelet as well? If it does, you are probably looking at between $2.5 - 3.5k in my estimation.

Comment

looks like the paper does not belong to the watch.
          Audemars Piguet Ball Bell&Ross Cartier IWC Longines Omega Panerai Rolex Sinn Tissot

Alba Casio Citizen Roox Seiko

Wanted to add PP but bo lui

Comment

next to the 6694 punch number, is it 07? if it is, then i cant find the matching country to it. please advise.
            if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
            1. subject heading indicating your issue
            2. your nick
            3. your corresponding email address
            4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

Thanks kenlinliu1419, Watcha and triton! Does that means the cert and the receipt has no use since it is meant for another watch? Not sure why there is this mismtach also.

triton, it is not 07, it seems to be 0 then 3 dots as shown in the picture, i did not edit that part. Any significance? It does have a singapore shop dealer stamp on the cert, but I am not sure of the autheticity now since it is not related to the watch.

I understand from my mother-in-law that my father-in-law changed the metal strap to the leather one now and does not seems to have kept the original metal strap, so I assume it is gone. So how will it affect the price? So now the rolex watch does not have cert and original metal strap, what will it value be like?

If I intend to keep the watch (my wife suggested since it is something left behind by her dad), where can I buy the original metal strap from and roughly how much is it? Can I get other leather strap from rolex to replace it also?

Thanks for all your response! =)

Comment

Hi,

Anyone can help with my questions above? Thanks!

Comment

The first place to recommend is the official Rolex Service Centre on Orchard Road. You can buy (sorry order) a new bracelet from them. Price very much depends on which one you are going for. Probably the jubilee two tone for your watch is the original design. Not sure about the price though. Maybe about $1k. Some brothers on the forum might be better at suggesting a more concrete price.

Comment

i cant find country code 03. maybe you can ask rolex service centre. the cert is for a 6694. however the watch u displayed is not a 6694. so what i suggest is remove the strap at the 6 0'clock position to confirm that the case number does not match the watch.

once it is certain the cert number and watch number don't match, you may want to find the 6694. alternatively, you may want to post the 6694 original certificate for sale. who knows, it may find the owner of the watch.
                    if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
                    1. subject heading indicating your issue
                    2. your nick
                    3. your corresponding email address
                    4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

Originally posted by vultine View Post
                      Thanks kenlinliu1419!

These are the pictures:

The cert:

I even have a receipt the bears the same serial number and date of purchase as the one on the Garantie from shop it was brought from but I am just puzzled why the no on the Garantie is 7,xxx,xxx while the one on the watch is 3,xxx,xxx
                      Hmmm...a 1601-3 with a 6694 papers. He probably has a 6694 somewhere?

To get a new bracelet it costs more than 3.5k and it doesn't really make sense to do it. Alternatively get a preowned bracelet it probably costs 1k+, I've seen it before on sale at our garage by timekeeper or something.

My take on watches left behind by your family member...restore it, keep it wear it. That's what I always tell people. Well it maybe worth about 2k when you sell to someone else, but trust me you will regret it. When that day comes, you may offer as much as the sky but won't be able to buy it back.

Sometimes forgotten, but always contactable. Darkangel (2007-2014)

Comment

Thanks again kenlinliu1419, triton and Darkangel!

Yup, agreed, we don't really need that money. It's just that my fiancee's mum thinks that it is useless as her husband had passed away a long time ago in an accident and maybe that's why she doesn't want to be reminded of the sad incident and use the money for a good cause.

Guess it's up to them whether they want to keep, but I know my fiancee wants to keep it. So will try out the Rolex Service Center and also the forum on the bracelet and do some maintainence since the watch is still working fine and physical appearance is still quite ok.

Thanks again for all your responses and feedbacks, appreciate it alot!

Cheers!

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X