Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My First time - advice needed

Hello ppls,
    Im new to this forum and I hope to get some advices from the many rolex experts here.
    I've always wanted a rolex watch as part of my "asset" & eventually pass on to my next generation as a momentum. I hv been contemplating to buy rolex since 2 years bk but with no urgency cos i'm not sure whether its worth the investment although i really like it. Until lately when I start looking again & got a shock from the surge in prices for the same model I like and this has got me up feet to stop procrastinating and get one for myself.

Qns:
    1) is it silly to want to own a brand new watch instead of pre-owned as it seems like many ppl are buying pre-owned?

2) which shop gives the best discount for brand new rolex? What's the discount like? Most shops told me it's the same discount whether it's cash or credit card.

3) I went to several shop to look for the piece I like and finally found 1 but the shop (A) refuses to give me better discount. Another shop (B) offered me better discount but they did not hv the piece i like. Shop (B) asked me to wait for next shipment. As the piece I like is a black pearl face piece, Every piece looks diff. So my dilemma is that even if shop (b) eventually hv that model, I may not like the prints of the pearl face. All rolex experts, how? Shd I wait for next shipment or pay higher ($800 -$1000) to buy the piece at shop A? This is my dilemma.

4) I went to ROLEX shop and the salesman told me that they had a meeting on the 9th Nov that next yr onwards, they can only give 10% discount. Any idea whether this is real or sales talk?

5) rolex has new & old batch. For date just, the salesman told me that the old series starts with H-XXXXXX. Néwer series starts with N-XXXXXX. is this again real or sales talk? And how impt whether the series is newer or older? Does it determine the servicing timeline?

Sorry ppls, as I'm an amateur, I hope u guys can help me.

Tks!

I can't answer all the question, really need the expert here but one thing for sure i know is that first time comfrim got 'ang bao' and welcome aboard.

Comment

Originally posted by Firstlove View Post
      Hello ppls,
      Im new to this forum and I hope to get some advices from the many rolex experts here.
      I've always wanted a rolex watch as part of my "asset" & eventually pass on to my next generation as a momentum. I hv been contemplating to buy rolex since 2 years bk but with no urgency cos i'm not sure whether its worth the investment although i really like it. Until lately when I start looking again & got a shock from the surge in prices for the same model I like and this has got me up feet to stop procrastinating and get one for myself.

Qns:
      1) is it silly to want to own a brand new watch instead of pre-owned as it seems like many ppl are buying pre-owned?

2) which shop gives the best discount for brand new rolex? What's the discount like? Most shops told me it's the same discount whether it's cash or credit card.

3) I went to several shop to look for the piece I like and finally found 1 but the shop (A) refuses to give me better discount. Another shop (B) offered me better discount but they did not hv the piece i like. Shop (B) asked me to wait for next shipment. As the piece I like is a black pearl face piece, Every piece looks diff. So my dilemma is that even if shop (b) eventually hv that model, I may not like the prints of the pearl face. All rolex experts, how? Shd I wait for next shipment or pay higher ($800 -$1000) to buy the piece at shop A? This is my dilemma.

4) I went to ROLEX shop and the salesman told me that they had a meeting on the 9th Nov that next yr onwards, they can only give 10% discount. Any idea whether this is real or sales talk?

5) rolex has new & old batch. For date just, the salesman told me that the old series starts with H-XXXXXX. Néwer series starts with N-XXXXXX. is this again real or sales talk? And how impt whether the series is newer or older? Does it determine the servicing timeline?

Sorry ppls, as I'm an amateur, I hope u guys can help me.

Tks!
      Welcome to the forum. I'm not an expert but i'll try to answer your question with my limited knowledge. Does watches worth for investment? No, cause IMO Rolex produced so many pieces of watches every year that in order to wait for it to become a collector's item or in another word rare is like more difficult than waitin to strike 4D.

1. Brand new or Pre owned is up to individual. For gettin a pre owned, you tend to lose lesser if you intend to sell it in future. If you are going to buy it without the intention to sell it in future and gonna pass it to the next generation, I'll suggest that you get a brand new but of cause most important is it is within your budget.

2. For this question you will have do somemore legwork and find it out yourself as many here have spend very long time to build up the relationship with their AD so this information won't be shared easily unless they know you well and even if they are willing to share the details with you, you are unlikely to get the discount as they are gettin cause to the AD you are just a walk in customer. I believe that cash will get better discount than credit card.

3. Did shop B tells you roughly when the stock will be arriving? And for your info there are some AD that when they don't have stock for that model that you are lookin for, they will gives you good discount so that you will wait for their stock to arrive. But when their stock is there, they will make up all sorts of stories to cut down the discount that they have quote to you like they will tell you that the stock for this model is limited and there are also other customer lookin for this model so they can't give you so much discount. So to wait or not you will probably have to decide it yourself.

4. I can't give you an answer for this question cause they is always rumours out there saying that starting from when they will increase the price or reduce the discount. Sometimes it do happen, sometimes not.

5. I don't what did they AD tell you but if he mean production serial, then i can tell you that up till now Rolex haven have H series and for N series is produce between 1991 to 1992. The latest series for Rolex watches is G series and Alpha numeric that consist random alphabet in between the numbers. Most people service their watch between 4 to 7 years depending on how often you use it.

Hope that i did give you some help and not causes more question for you.

Comment

Originally posted by crazybay View Post
        Welcome to the forum. I'm not an expert but i'll try to answer your question with my limited knowledge. Does watches worth for investment? No, cause IMO Rolex produced so many pieces of watches every year that in order to wait for it to become a collector's item or in another word rare is like more difficult than waitin to strike 4D.

1. Brand new or Pre owned is up to individual. For gettin a pre owned, you tend to lose lesser if you intend to sell it in future. If you are going to buy it without the intention to sell it in future and gonna pass it to the next generation, I'll suggest that you get a brand new but of cause most important is it is within your budget.

2. For this question you will have do somemore legwork and find it out yourself as many here have spend very long time to build up the relationship with their AD so this information won't be shared easily unless they know you well and even if they are willing to share the details with you, you are unlikely to get the discount as they are gettin cause to the AD you are just a walk in customer. I believe that cash will get better discount than credit card.

3. Did shop B tells you roughly when the stock will be arriving? And for your info there are some AD that when they don't have stock for that model that you are lookin for, they will gives you good discount so that you will wait for their stock to arrive. But when their stock is there, they will make up all sorts of stories to cut down the discount that they have quote to you like they will tell you that the stock for this model is limited and there are also other customer lookin for this model so they can't give you so much discount. So to wait or not you will probably have to decide it yourself.

4. I can't give you an answer for this question cause they is always rumours out there saying that starting from when they will increase the price or reduce the discount. Sometimes it do happen, sometimes not.

5. I don't know what did the AD tell you but if he mean production serial, then i can tell you that up till now Rolex haven have H series and for N series is produce between 1991 to 1992. The latest series for Rolex watches is G series and Alpha numeric that consist random alphabet in between the numbers. Most people service their watch between 4 to 7 years depending on how often you use it.

Hope that i did give you some help and not causes more question for you.

Comment

if a sales person tell you no stock and he/she can quote you whatever discount usually better than market rate. if you know that the discount is what you feel is comfortable which in in your perspective the best discount that other shop who has stock, tell the sales person, ok, deal. i pay you X dollars for deposit. when the watch comes, i pay the balance. the thing is no stock, no talk.

these days cash will get you better discount varies. some salesperson will tell you cash/credit card same discount.

as for DJ starting with letter N, if the salesperson says it is the current series, then is not correct. N series was from Nov 1991 to 1992. the current series can be alphanumeric, G or even J series.

whether it is whatever series, it is not that important. current series can be alphanumeric, G or J but there can 'left over' series stocks on hand which means if there are still M series, so long as it is brand new and from AD. you probably need to send for service every 3-5 years *recommended* depending on usage. you can even choose not to service it until the watch gives you problem say 10 years later. choice is yours
          if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
          1. subject heading indicating your issue
          2. your nick
          3. your corresponding email address
          4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

I've always wanted a rolex watch as part of my "asset" & eventually pass on to my next generation as a momentum. I hv been contemplating to buy rolex since 2 years bk but with no urgency cos i'm not sure whether its worth the investment although i really like it.

Qns:

most/many watches are not asset or investment vehicles. please do not buy a rolex watch for such purposes. a watch will only be worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it, and cannot be used at a bank as security.

maybe you should be saving to buy physical gold. THAT is an investment AND an asset. if you're still want to buy rolex as "an investment", then look for 1803 day dates that are going for about US$3k... buy as many of them as you can.

it is not silly to want to buy a brand new watch, but you know the first owner usually takes a hit with the price tag. some people, like my wife, cannot accept anything that is not brand new. as such, people like her need to buy brand new.

people like me on the other hand, will be happy to settle for anything as long as the price is right. it's all in the/your/my mind.

cash usually gets a better discount. if it's the same, i would rather pay by card so i can get points/cash back. some shops even have 0% instalment repayment plans - so if your finances are in order, you can even opt to do that!

i recommend you take your time to read up about rolex watches, take time to browse through shops (be sure to tell them you're not ready to buy TODAY) and try on the watches before jumping off the boat...
            “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

Comment

Hi all, thank you for your replies. They hv certainty helped in a way or another.
              After much leg work and consenses from my family, I've finally bought the watch which I've been waiting for! Pls look out for photos that I'll be posting real soon.

Comment

Wow, that is fast! Congrats on your new watch and will be waiting for your photo of the watch.

Comment

Congratulations and will wait to see those pics
                  The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Hi all, thank you for your replies. They hv certainty helped in a way or another.
                    After much leg work and consenses from my family, I've finally bought the watch which I've been waiting for! Pls look out for photos that I'll be posting real soon.
                    Congrats! Anyway, no worry about brand new or pre-owned. No such things as silly or what. It all boils down to your personal preferances. I do like brand new but have to cough up some extra premiums, similar to getting a brand new car. If it's pre-owned, chances are the watches may have scratches or worse, comes with fake parts etc. As long as it's verified with good condition, pre-owned is not a bad choice, esp if the model is discontinued.

Nonetheless, I believe you will not regret with Rolex. I own several brands. Can you imagine other "better" brands like IWC and AP have more problems than my Rolexes.

Hope to see your pic! I am looking forward to see your unique black pearl face! Wondering why the sales talks are so provocative!

Comment

Hahah. Thank you all!
                      I have been thinking abt the watch for so many nights and been surfing on this forum for a while. I am really thankful that you ppl are so friendly and helpful to a first timer. I have so many questions lingering here and there and until i see the replies from you guys, i have decided to just get it! And I am glad i i finally took the plunge! haahha.
                      Here is the pic of my piece. I did not get the Black pearl face in the end. When i first saw this piece, i am already in love. So hack the 20% discount and paid more for it. =)
                      Here's the link to my pic! Feel feel to give opinion! =)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/edmundp.../img%5D%5B/url

Comment

Rose gold? Beautiful watch there
                        The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Firstlove what model you are looking at? Cash mode normally they offered you a better discount. If you want to pass it to your next generation, i prefer u buy a sport model like 16570,116610,116610lv,116520,116710.

Comment

Hi cal, thank u for ur suggestion ant the sports model. I'll sure consider them when I hv more savings.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X