Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiggle ???

Hi,

I am new to Rolex, I have been reading this forum for the past few days. nice forum.

wanted to ask this question.

what does it mean when a seller post "NO Wiggle"
    or
    some member here post "do the wiggle test"

any kind bro here can advise what is "wiggle"

TIA.

Hi and welcome. I think there's a link to this that actually shows a video clip on the demonstration of the wiggle test. Try to search. I think "wiggle" here refers to an action that a ROLEX watch shows, when you do something to it. It gives an indication on the type of movement in the watch.

The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Originally posted by Rolex48 View Post
      Hi,

I am new to Rolex, I have been reading this forum for the past few days. nice forum.

wanted to ask this question.

what does it mean when a seller post "NO Wiggle"
      or
      some member here post "do the wiggle test"

any kind bro here can advise what is "wiggle"

TIA.
      There are claims that some of the newer GMT Master II watches come with the new 3186 movement instead of the 3185 movement.

The best way to verify this is of course to open the case and see for yourself. But I am sure this is out of most of our capability.

With a GMT Master II (or Explorer II), unscrew the crown and pull it out 1 click (to the quick date set mode which will advance the hour hand without moving the other hands). Turn the crown to move the hour hand up and down.

It is claimed (I hear say this that is why the word "claimed") that the RED 24-hr hand will not "wiggle" if the movement inside is a 3186. Otherwise, the RED 24-hr hand will "wiggle".

It is also claimed that those GMT Master II watches that come with the new 3186 movements has "sticks" in the word "GMT Master II" instead of the roman "II".

I tried on the Y-series Explorer II and the RED 24-hr hand does "wiggles" when the hour hand is moved as described above.
      Body Of Fat, Heart Of Gold.

Comment

Wah gd question...this 1 I myself dun even know! hahah

Sometimes forgotten, but always contactable. Darkangel (2007-2014)

Comment

Originally posted by Darkangel View Post
          Wah gd question...this 1 I myself dun even know! hahah
          serious?? would have thought a resident forumer be quite armed with this type of knowledge do a youtube search, there is a vid there
          [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
          [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
          Blue 6694
          Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
          [U]"My collection"[/U]:
          [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

Hi Bros,

My W series GMT II does not wiggle leh. So it is the 3186 does ?

SS Daytona Black Dial,
            SS GMT II coke, SS GMT IIC, TT GMT IIC,
            SS Sub Date, TT Sub Date Black,
            SS SD,
            SS YM,
            SS YM Mid Size,

Comment

Thanks for all the reply

Comment

Originally posted by champagneluver View Post
                There are claims that some of the newer GMT Master II watches come with the new 3186 movement instead of the 3185 movement.

The best way to verify this is of course to open the case and see for yourself. But I am sure this is out of most of our capability.

With a GMT Master II (or Explorer II), unscrew the crown and pull it out 1 click (to the quick date set mode which will advance the hour hand without moving the other hands). Turn the crown to move the hour hand up and down.

It is claimed (I hear say this that is why the word "claimed") that the RED 24-hr hand will not "wiggle" if the movement inside is a 3186. Otherwise, the RED 24-hr hand will "wiggle".

It is also claimed that those GMT Master II watches that come with the new 3186 movements has "sticks" in the word "GMT Master II" instead of the roman "II".

I tried on the Y-series Explorer II and the RED 24-hr hand does "wiggles" when the hour hand is moved as described above.

Thanks for the detail.

Comment

Originally posted by tomcatf View Post
                  Hi Bros,

My W series GMT II does not wiggle leh. So it is the 3186 does ?
                  hahaha... how about openning the case and have a look??
                  Body Of Fat, Heart Of Gold.

Comment

Just collected from SRC after service, confirm W series is 3185.

May be others people's movt are loose or lack servicing?

For me, every Rolex is not the same because they are all individually hand made by craftsman.
                    Last edited by tomcatf; 17-07-08, 10:22 PM.

SS Daytona Black Dial,
                    SS SD,
                    SS YM,
                    SS YM Mid Size,

Comment

i think that thinking that your watch is individually hand made is flawed, because rolex churns out million watches per year, they would require a very high manpower to piece your watch. somemore it would be less than economically viable NOT to use robots and other automation devices.

therefore i am lead to believe that it maybe individually checked but not hand made.
                      [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
                      [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
                      Blue 6694
                      Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
                      [U]"My collection"[/U]:
                      [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by seiko.citizen View Post
                        i think that thinking that your watch is individually hand made is flawed, because rolex churns out million watches per year, they would require a very high manpower to piece your watch. somemore it would be less than economically viable NOT to use robots and other automation devices.

therefore i am lead to believe that it maybe individually checked but not hand made.
                        True. ROLEX watches are not fully handmade, otherwise there's no way they can produce the said amt of watches over such short periods.
                        The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Just collected from SRC after service, confirm W series is 3185.

May be others people's movt are loose or let servicing?

For me, every Rolex is not the same because they are all individually hand made by craftsman.
                          Sorry to burst your bubble bro... As others have pointed out, Rolexes are NOT individually hand made. There might be some manual element in assembly but most of the parts are manufactured by machines. But having said that, I must say that they still have one of the most reliable and most accurate movements around. So hand made or not, the important thing (for me anyway) is they are reliable!
                          Time is too precious to be measured by a cheap watch...

Patek 5065, Rolex 16600, 16700, 16710, IWC 3786, JLC Reverso Chrono, PAM 190G, PAM 219I, AP RO Chrono

Comment

Ok Bros, wrong choice of words, I should say Rolex is assemble by hand and not make. Although all parts are machine to the perfection, but the watches are still manually assemble by the craftman.

I must agreed that all Rolex craftmen are world class, they are very good and competent. However, there will be different standard amongst them in term of their Knowledge, Skill and Ability, so performance of each an every end product will be different. That's why some of us are complaining their watch is either moving too fast or too slow, is this the fault of parts or the craftman's skill?

For me, I do have some rolex that is moving faster or slower than other, but that is the beauty of collecting manual assemble automatic watch, they are still the best watches when compare to those electronic stuff.

SS Daytona Black Dial,
                            SS SD,
                            SS YM,
                            SS YM Mid Size,

Comment

Ok Bros, wrong choice of words, I should say Rolex is assemble by hand and not make. Although all parts are machine to the perfection, but the watches are still manually assemble by the craftman.

I must agreed that all Rolex craftmen are world class, they are very good and competent. However, there will be different standard amongst them in term of their Knowledge, Skill and Ability, so performance of each an every end product will be different. That's why some of us are complaining their watch is either moving too fast or too slow, is this the fault of parts or the craftman's skill?

For me, I do have some rolex that is moving faster or slower than other, but that is the beauty of collecting manual assemble automatic watch, they are still the best watches when compare to those electronic stuff.
                              Whats?some rolex that is moving faster or slower ?
                              i thought rolex very acurrate in time?

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X