Hope this is not a stupid question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hope this is not a stupid question...

.... What is the difference between an Explorer 1 and an Airking? Besides the obvious difference in name and face design that is...

sms/whatsapp to 9OO3-8999

It's nt a stupid qns. I'm nt too sure tho but in terms of categorizing them, the Exp I is deemed a sports model while the Airking, a classic model
    The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Some good reading about Exp I and Air King

To my understanding, it boils down to one major difference, which is the historical value.

One may argue that Exp I was more exposed due to Everest expedition and Rolex made a good story out of it.

I like Exp I because of its black sterile dial. To me, it's just perfect. Although I wish Rolex could enlarge its size to let say 39-40mm, but I doubt they would do it under the name of Explorer, as they want to maintain its historical value. Rolex isn't Omega, who launched many variants of Speedmaster (for example). Now the hype of Exp I is over, it's a good time to acquire one if you like it.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~rkeulen/watch/explorer.html

http://rolex.watchprosite.com/show-n...ost/ti-406036/
      [SIZE="2"][U][B]Movement collection:[/B][/U]
      [U]German:[/U] Junghans 687, Durowe 7420
      [U]Russian:[/U] Poljot 3133, Poljot 2612, Vostok
      [U]Chinese:[/U] Seagull
      [U]Japanese:[/U] Seiko(s)
      [U]Swiss:[/U] ETA(s)+Valjoux+Unitas(s), Zenith(s), JLC, Rolex, Lemania(s), IWC[/SIZE]

Comment

Thanks for the info. I kept wondering if the Explorer had some function or resistance rating that made it special, seems not then. As much as I like simple rolexes, if I am going to buy an explorer, I'd more likely end up buying an Airking. Unless of course they make it in 40mm! Then again, wouldn't that be the Milgauss...

Comment

Originally posted by HerzAusStahl View Post
          Thanks for the info. I kept wondering if the Explorer had some function or resistance rating that made it special, seems not then. As much as I like simple rolexes, if I am going to buy an explorer, I'd more likely end up buying an Airking. Unless of course they make it in 40mm! Then again, wouldn't that be the Milgauss...
          Umm, I think Milgauss belongs to a different category... At the very least, it has an iron core shield which protects the movement from strong magnetic field. I would probably classify it as a sport/industrial watch which field engineers can identify with!
          Time is too precious to be measured by a cheap watch...

Patek 5065, Rolex 16600, 16700, 16710, IWC 3786, JLC Reverso Chrono, PAM 190G, PAM 219I, AP RO Chrono

Comment

yes yes of course, milgauss has the anti-magnetic function. What I meant was that Milgauss is sort of like a 40mm explorer, no date, just time-keeping... ah you know what I mean hehehe.

Comment

bro, i think the query you posted is a very good one. many thanks to hary for sharing the sites.

before your post, all that i knew of these two watches was that exp 1 accompanied sir edmund to the top on everest whilst airking accompanied edison chen to the top in infernal affairs.
              Remnants of my irresponsibility:
              "Foreign affections"
              1) Sinn U1-30 June 2007
              2) Rolex Sea-Dweller 16600 M series-23 Jan 08 (HER perpetual oyster )
              3) Omega Seamaster Chrono Diver 2225.80.00-25 Jul 08 (From Wife )
              4) IWC Top Gun Chrono-20 Sep 09
              What's NEXT?

Comment

Originally posted by feudallordcult View Post
                bro, i think the query you posted is a very good one. many thanks to hary for sharing the sites.

before your post, all that i knew of these two watches was that exp 1 accompanied sir edmund to the top on everest whilst airking accompanied edison chen to the top in infernal affairs.
                [SIZE="2"][U][B]Movement collection:[/B][/U]
                [U]German:[/U] Junghans 687, Durowe 7420
                [U]Russian:[/U] Poljot 3133, Poljot 2612, Vostok
                [U]Chinese:[/U] Seagull
                [U]Japanese:[/U] Seiko(s)
                [U]Swiss:[/U] ETA(s)+Valjoux+Unitas(s), Zenith(s), JLC, Rolex, Lemania(s), IWC[/SIZE]

Comment

BAN lovefcs09!!!!
                  Last edited by Darkangel; 30-06-08, 10:39 PM.

Comment

Friend, ignore it.
                    The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

why all of a sudden all the spamming.
                      [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
                      [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
                      Blue 6694
                      Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
                      [U]"My collection"[/U]:
                      [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X