Nav Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse

Nav Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

do you think rolex is losing its appeal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brands like IWC and Pam

Brands like IWC and Pam has indeed done a much better job in marketing then Rolex. Pam came out of no where and is no popular now.

Marketing of Rolex has indeed not targeting the young. Look at Tag and the stars who are wearing them.
    My Current

Rolex Daytona 116515
    Rolex Submariner 16610
    Rolex Submariner 116610
    Rolex Date 1550
    IWC Spitfire Chronograph 371705
    IWC Portuguese 7 Days 500107
    Omega Ocean Planet 22015000
    Bell & Ross Heritage BR126
    Grand Seiko GMT SBGM021
    Seiko Sumo SBDC001
    Seiko Sumo SBDC003
    Seiko Marinemaster SBDX012
    Seiko Brightz SDGZ013 Chronograph

Comment

Target young working adults who are ambitious
      Target Adults who are Successful
      Target Seniors who have done it all

Keep Rolex as the exclusive watch it has been and hope it will still be...
      There are way too many adults "late 20's to 30's" aspiring to own a crown...
      So no lack of demand here i think...
      Last edited by Ray_Watches; 26-08-09, 12:08 PM. Reason: ..
      相信我,这是最后一只了

Comment

I had owned many other brands of watches for the last 20-30 years. Among all brands, Rolex is the most reliable and accurate. People would be sidetracked along the way, ultimately, Rolex would be the destination.

Comment

Originally posted by Randonneur View Post
          I had owned many other brands of watches for the last 20-30 years. Among all brands, Rolex is the most reliable and accurate. People would be sidetracked along the way, ultimately, Rolex would be the destination.
          The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Originally posted by Oceanklassik View Post
            Thanks. This is very encouraging.

Comment

i am 26 and this is my 1st real watch,A Rolex DJ.Hard earned $,heart-wretching price BUT no regret.

ULTIMATELY,it will ALWAYS be a ROLEX.
              Be it now or by then..
              So y not?

Comment

Rolex be the Holy Grail of watches

There are perhaps even many more like-minded watch fans out there who also feel that Rolex will always be the standard by which other watches are judged. There is no doubt that it has reached iconic status and appeal. Not unlike Mercedes Benz, there is also a certain keen symbolism of finesse, prestige and eminence about it. It is an object to be adored everywhere!

“Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.”
                Abraham Lincoln (American 16th US President from1861-65, who brought about the emancipation of slavery from 1809-1865).

“Watch your thoughts, for they become words.
                Watch your words, for they become actions.
                Watch your actions, for they become habits.
                Watch your habits, for they become character.
                Watch your character, for it becomes your destiny.”

Comment

Just curious, would anyone know what percentage of the 850k watches that Rolex produces a year are:

- Professional Models
                  - General Models

For a 1000 Rolexes produced, how many SS Daytonas are there?
                  WISHLIST
                  Yachtmaster2 116688
                  Sky Dweller
                  AP ROO Black Theme
                  WG Submariner

Comment

No doubt about the Brand

There is no doubt there always will be Rolex lovers out there especially when i am in a Rolex forum, who many are rolex owner. So many will defend the brand.

I am a Rolex owner as well and do like the Rolex brand. Think about this, where was PAM 10 years ago? Where was IWC? Pam and IWC may not have come up so quickly if Rolex was as appealing. Rolex did lose a pool of people which would have been loyal to the brand.

Rolex may not be losing its appeal but others have caught up quite a few bit. To some it is already not automatically the number choice any more.
                    My Current

Rolex Daytona 116515
                    Rolex Submariner 16610
                    Rolex Submariner 116610
                    Rolex Date 1550
                    IWC Spitfire Chronograph 371705
                    IWC Portuguese 7 Days 500107
                    Omega Ocean Planet 22015000
                    Bell & Ross Heritage BR126
                    Grand Seiko GMT SBGM021
                    Seiko Sumo SBDC001
                    Seiko Sumo SBDC003
                    Seiko Marinemaster SBDX012
                    Seiko Brightz SDGZ013 Chronograph

Comment

just randomly asked my fren this question during dinner "if u tio 4d first prize tml what watch would u get...instantly he said "an AP or maybe one of those JLC watches"...then i replied "those abit expensive how abt something cheaper"...straight away...he awnsered "PAM"...

yes rolex has been a brand solid enuff to not have to do massive marketing, being classy and having the incredible ability to hold its value...that i agree and they certainly do not have to make the brand affordable enough for the mass (exclusivity)...but being able to afford is one thing, the desire to own one is another...i just dun see that desire in people of my generation anymore...

Comment

As long as Rolex can hold its resale value and appreciate over time, it will do well...
                        相信我,这是最后一只了

Comment

Originally posted by wrxy View Post
                          just randomly asked my fren this question during dinner "if u tio 4d first prize tml what watch would u get...instantly he said "an AP or maybe one of those JLC watches"...then i replied "those abit expensive how abt something cheaper"...straight away...he awnsered "PAM"...

yes rolex has been a brand solid enuff to not have to do massive marketing, being classy and having the incredible ability to hold its value...that i agree and they certainly do not have to make the brand affordable enough for the mass (exclusivity)...but being able to afford is one thing, the desire to own one is another...i just dun see that desire in people of my generation anymore...
                          If kena 4d, i will buy Rolex for sure.
                          Current Collection :

1) Rolex YG White Mother of Pearl Roman Dial Datejust 16018 (8 mil Serial)

2) Rolex YG Black Computer Roman Dial Datejust 16238 (L Serial)

3) Rolex TT Blue Submariner 16613LB (M Serial)

4) Rolex YG Red Vignette DayDate 18038 (8 mil Serial)

5) Rolex PT Pinkish White MOP DayDate 18206 (A Serial)

Comment

Rolex marketing...

Originally posted by lthg25 View Post
                            Brands like IWC and Pam has indeed done a much better job in marketing then Rolex. Pam came out of no where and is no popular now. Marketing of Rolex has indeed not targeting the young. Look at Tag and the stars who are wearing them.
                            To up its appeal, Rolex has always been marketing itself more subtly. It is sure that many will remember those Rolex adverts in magazines like Time (which is not a horology publication) and Readers' Digest :

Here is Roger Federer in his element :

“Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.”
                            Abraham Lincoln (American 16th US President from1861-65, who brought about the emancipation of slavery from 1809-1865).

“Watch your thoughts, for they become words.
                            Watch your words, for they become actions.
                            Watch your actions, for they become habits.
                            Watch your habits, for they become character.
                            Watch your character, for it becomes your destiny.”

Comment

Rolex marketing

In fact, i read somewhere that among all the watch brands, Rolex spent the most on marketing! Then again, they probably make the most sales among all the watch brands.

Comment

Its an interesting place to be, debating the appeal of Rolex on a forum which is already called the Rolex Owners Club. There most certainly will be an amount of ingrained biasness in the answers put forth.

As a participant in the 20~30 age group and one who has owned a plethora of watches, from PAMs to Omega's (no Rolexes yet, I know a blasphemy to admit here), Rolexes for me, are too small unfortunately to pull off. But that is a conundrum and an attractive selling point as well which I shall detour into later on. Rolex still has an insufferably stuffy image amongst this generation of folks. Panerai's have the versatility of being classy (Radiomirs and Base models) and yet extremely sporty depending on the strap one decides to wear. Omegas I will argue quite strongly are just as technologically impressive as Rolex, and in one respect, with the Omega Speedmaster Pro 3570series, moonwatch, best Rolex in that department, as well as many other watches.

However, tastes do change with age. As people mature and do get more affluent, along with the changes in their lifestyles and their surroundings, their desires for the finer things in life mature. I currently am going through a stage where I am eschewing wearing my larger pieces in my collection and instead am wearing a lot more regularly my classier, simpler and smaller watches. I prefer the lines, the simplicity of the dials and the lack of a tonne of metal on the arm. I am even considering picking up either a Submariner or Yachtmaster in the coming year to finally try the Rolex charm, though at 40mm, they are quite small for my built.

One thing though to get back on topic regarding appeal is the effect of replicas on the Rolex image. Rolex due to its immense popularity is one of the most replicated watches around. How often have we been on an MRT, seen someone whom we judge as not potentially being affluent enough (I know judging a book by its cover is wrong, but we all do it at some level) and realise that they're wearing what appears to be a genuine Rolex datejust etc. I'm lucky being in the banks that I can supplement my watch hobby quite easily, but I have been asked on occasion with some of my other watches if they are replicas because of my age and the diversity of the collection I once had. It is that impression of Rolexes, especially for the younger folk, that turns them off the Rolex route. Rather instead picking up watches from less popular brands like Audemars Piguet, Blancpain, Panerai which are extremely well engineered watches as well, but are more known within the "community" and as such appreciated better as well.
                                Current COLLECTION
                                Anonimo Dino Zei Nautilo Bronze | Longines Master Collection MoonPhase | IWC Aquatimer Chrono Cousteau Diver 2006 | Longines Classic Dress | MontBlanc Sports | Omega Speedmaster Pro 3572.50 | Omega Seamaster (Vintage) | Omega Seamaster PO c.9300| Omega Seamaster PO c.2500 |

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X