Nav Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse

Nav Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

do you think rolex is losing its appeal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mew View Post
    I prefer the sleek case profiles of the older models.
    The fatter lugs of the newer models make them appear very square. I also find the ceramic bezel more for bling and a unnecessary feature. It's more scratch resistant but it is not completely scratch proof. When it does gets scratched, prepare to pay RSC a fair bit to get a replacement.
    i also think that the new rolex looks squarish. the lugs are quite thick making the watch looks square.

the bracelet does not taper with the casing. the bracelet clasp is an improvement but does it add much weight to the watch? i do not know because i've not handled any till date.

i wanted to get more but the service cost puts me off. back in year 2004-07, servicing cost was $400 plus for sports model so still proportional to the watch prices. $6000 vs $400 (servicing)

these days $8000 and servicing cost $1000 per trip. if the watch costs $20000 then 1k plus would justify. the cost of ownership is way too high these days.

Comment

Originally posted by leslie View Post
      i also think that the new rolex looks squarish. the lugs are quite thick making the watch looks square.

the bracelet does not taper with the casing. the bracelet clasp is an improvement but does it add much weight to the watch? i do not know because i've not handled any till date.

i wanted to get more but the service cost puts me off. back in year 2004-07, servicing cost was $400 plus for sports model so still proportional to the watch prices. $6000 vs $400 (servicing)

these days $8000 and servicing cost $1000 per trip. if the watch costs $20000 then 1k plus would justify. the cost of ownership is way too high these days.
      The bracelet is not as comfortable as the older bracelet but better in terms of built quality, the clasp lock alone is a huge improvement.

Servicing is expensive these days but what bothers me more are the cost of parts, I have read that the ceramic bezel part itself cost $1k++ excluding servicing.

Comment

The bracelet is not as comfortable as the older bracelet but better in terms of built quality, the clasp lock alone is a huge improvement.

Servicing is expensive these days but what bothers me more are the cost of parts, I have read that the ceramic bezel part itself cost $1k++ excluding servicing.

bro. how come the bracelet is not that comfortable? the old bracelet minimum links is 5 on the 6 o'clock side and alot of people with small wrist got problems wearing the older bracelets. these days minimum is 4 so most people can wear the watch without much problems.

the ceramic bezel insert or the entire bezel cost $1k plus? last time i bashed my 14060m bezel against the toilet wall while pulling out toilet paper. the bezel is kinda of dented and cost me $280 to replace at RSC.

Comment

bro. how come the bracelet is not that comfortable? the old bracelet minimum links is 5 on the 6 o'clock side and alot of people with small wrist got problems wearing the older bracelets. these days minimum is 4 so most people can wear the watch without much problems.

the ceramic bezel insert or the entire bezel cost $1k plus? last time i bashed my 14060m bezel against the toilet wall while pulling out toilet paper. the bezel is kinda of dented and cost me $280 to replace at RSC.
          I had the 39mm explorer I with the new bracelet, it can be adjusted more precisely but the links are rather stiff and do not hug the wrist as well as the older bracelet.

The entire bezel, im not too sure if RSC would sell just the insert, I have read conflicting posts regarding this issue.

Comment

I had the 39mm explorer I with the new bracelet, it can be adjusted more precisely but the links are rather stiff and do not hug the wrist as well as the older bracelet.

The entire bezel, im not too sure if RSC would sell just the insert, I have read conflicting posts regarding this issue.

so the newer bracelets are solid or hollow links like the previous version? if the bezel alone cost 1k then is really unaffordable liao.

Comment

so the newer bracelets are solid or hollow links like the previous version? if the bezel alone cost 1k then is really unaffordable liao.
              The new bracelets are solid and perhaps that's why they don't fold easily like the older ones

Comment

The new bracelets are solid and perhaps that's why they don't fold easily like the older ones
                No wonder. The face lift started way back in 2007 with the 116710. Then progressive towards the entire product line.

The triplock crowns are much more easy to use than the smaller ones on 16710 and 16570.

I remember when 116710 was announced in 2007 and 16710 being discontinued. The resale value of 16710 went up to 8k.

After that went back to normal pricing liao.

Comment

bro, how come u like the older models leh? i thought everyone is getting the newer models these days? i hardly see people wearing those 14060m, 16710, 16570, 16610 these days.
                  How come?

Becos thats what Rolex is about. Tradition and heritage.

I still wear my 16610, 16700, 16570, 16264, 18238s , 16618 together with my 116520, 116718

Comment

Originally posted by Trinidad View Post
                    How come?

Becos thats what Rolex is about. Tradition and heritage.

I still wear my 16610, 16700, 16570, 16264, 18238s , 16618 together with my 116520, 116718

somehow i only managed to see the newer rolexes on the mrt these days. wondering where did all those older model went? exported?

Comment

• Originally posted by leslie View Post
                      somehow i only managed to see the newer rolexes on the mrt these days. wondering where did all those older model went? exported?
                      Quite alot lying around in preowned shops, many are traded in to "upgrade" to the latest model.

Comment

maybe in the drawers and safes of people like me.

Comment

• Originally posted by mew View Post
                          Quite alot lying around in preowned shops, many are traded in to "upgrade" to the latest model.
                          wow. if they got it brand new. then abit waste to trade it in for the newer version. i still like my coke bezel leh.

Comment

• Originally posted by Trinidad View Post
                            maybe in the drawers and safes of people like me.
                            u also dun wear liao?

Comment

• Originally posted by mew View Post
                              bro. i found this from watchuseek. http://forums.watchuseek.com/f23/gmt...ed-231967.html

"My new 4moth old GMTII Ceramic bezel slipped out of my hands at waist height and fell to the floor. The ceramic bezel cracked into pieces and came off the bezel. My Rolex dealer sent the watch off to Rolex and the ceramic bezel cost $1500!!!! YIKES! Makes me miss my old style GMTII."

Comment

bro. i found this from watchuseek. http://forums.watchuseek.com/f23/gmt...ed-231967.html

"My new 4moth old GMTII Ceramic bezel slipped out of my hands at waist height and fell to the floor. The ceramic bezel cracked into pieces and came off the bezel. My Rolex dealer sent the watch off to Rolex and the ceramic bezel cost $1500!!!! YIKES! Makes me miss my old style GMTII."

Guess they dont just replace the insert. ouch!

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X