Nav Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse

Nav Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A little sharing on SD, RSC and some after thoughts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A little sharing on SD, RSC and some after thoughts...

I recently bought a M series Sea Dweller. Perfect condition with the usual hairline scratches. I love it more than the SubDate now.

Dropped it yesterday while getting ready for work. I shouted "Fuxk" really loud and my heart sank to a bottomless pit. It was in pristine condition when I bought it. Never will I display on the edge of the cabinet shelve anymore...lesson learnt!

Took me a few minutes to inspect every single angle without even realising my towel had dropped on the floor and I was stark naked while doing so. To my horror, the edges on the crystal had chipped!!! It wasnt visible but I could feel it, every milli-inch of the bruises.

I was swearing all the way to office. Whole morning at work, I was feeling upset and was nursing the rim of the bruised crystal and by lunch time, I decided to go to RSC to get it replaced. Also did consider getting it serviced since its about 3 years old.

Got to an empty and freezing RSC during lunch time. A cool girl attended to me...her name resembles a specific rolex's sports model...wont elaborate any further but she was nice and professional.

She spoke with empathy and quoted me $7xx for a complete servicing with polishing but replacement of crystal was extra. All up close to $1K with 2 years warranty and will take 5 weeks. And she offered to get the technician to inspect any further damages due to the drop. I was then given a glass of OJ and asked to wait 20 mins.

While waiting, I made a few calls. One offer of $200 for servicing plus polishing in a matter of 3 days with 6 months warranty, this was from a source provided by one of the bros in this forum.

Shortly, she came back and said my SD was running a minute faster, which was spot on. Some spring bar problem she said and it was fixed FOC. I realised that few days ago but didnt bother me much. Who cares as long as it was running within reasonable time. By then, I already did my maths and decided not to get it done at RSC.

She asked if I still want to service the SD or just replace the crystal. I told her the latter. She proceeded to get the paperwork done. While doing so, we had a good chat mostly about people making fun of her name, etc..and before I left, she said she will call me when the job is done, hopefully by today.

Some thoughts and a few questions seeking clarifications:

- the servicing work done by RSC and outside parties, do they differ much?

- will RSC be able to recognise servicing done by outside parties?

- assuming if I didnt get the crystal replaced and decided to walk way, I would have saved $75 on verifiying the watch?

- these days, all I care about are rolex watches, I think I am going mad, first thing I surf on the net is ROC, before I sleep also ROC, in between work also ROC, are you guys doing the same?

- the fact that I became so agitated and preoccupied about the chipped crystal indicated that I really am suffering from OCDR (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder Rolex related). I could stand flaws on my CooperS but I cant stand a chipped crystal. Yet I am really enjoying all of this....am I alone?

- the servicing work done by RSC and outside parties, do they differ much? Yes... quality and warranty... big diff..

- will RSC be able to recognise servicing done by outside parties? yes, most third party watch maker will also leave a ref inside case back..

- assuming if I didnt get the crystal replaced and decided to walk way, I would have saved $75 on verifiying the watch? Yes, but rsc will leave a XX mark inside case back... if mark with XXX you will have problem in future..

- these days, all I care about are rolex watches, I think I am going mad, first thing I surf on the net is ROC, before I sleep also ROC, in between work also ROC, are you guys doing the same? many here sama...

- the fact that I became so agitated and preoccupied about the chipped crystal indicated that I really am suffering from OCDR (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder Rolex related). I could stand flaws on my CooperS but I cant stand a chipped crystal. Yet I am really enjoying all of this....am I alone? no...
    DRSD-1665 mk4
    SD-16660 matte mk1
    Sub-1680 red mk6
    Sub-5513 matte/ meter first
    Exp2-16570
    Date Just-116234 MOP
    MS no date-67480

Comment

I read your entire post and I empathize with you. I can understand your agony - damaged watch, losing money and sleep. But fret not. This is a problem that can be resolved easily. Time will heal the (heart) pain.. . And may I congratulate you for the purchase of this beautiful watch.

With regards to some of your questions, I hope I can help to share a bit:

a) The servicing technique/skill between RSC and an independent source
      should be different. Afterall, such chores are mostly carried out by hand,
      hence, different folks, different strokes. As for quality wise, it is
      subjective. The folks outside of RSC may be as good/professional, if not
      better.

b) RSC can "recognise servicing done by outside parties", I believe, only by
      referring to servicing records (if any), of the watch in question.

c) I thought you'd mentioned that some job was carried out on your watch?
      Does it mean that 'authentication' was done in that sense?

d) I do know that some of us here (me not spared) have similar habits as
      you. And I have to admit that I do suffer from the same symptoms.
      Sometimes it's just hard to keep 'sane'. But I do find myself 'fortunate' in
      the sense that I am too poor to be going around to buy watches any
      other day like some members here do. If I am as rich as them, or at least
      half as rich as them, then I am doomed! I'll be buying watches like no
      tomorrow !!

The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

If you do a search here, in the "early years", I'd posted how I treat my watches. Find and read it, and you'll know you are not "there" (meaning in-sanity) yet . In short, I have a dedicated corner in my house for my watches, and I "talked" to them before going to sleep. So who's worse..
        The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Originally posted by coopster9 View Post
          Some thoughts and a few questions seeking clarifications:

- the servicing work done by RSC and outside parties, do they differ much?
          - will RSC be able to recognise servicing done by outside parties?
          - assuming if I didnt get the crystal replaced and decided to walk way, I would have saved $75 on verifiying the watch?
          - these days, all I care about are rolex watches, I think I am going mad, first thing I surf on the net is ROC, before I sleep also ROC, in between work also ROC, are you guys doing the same?
          ...?
          servicing of the watch should be the same, since it is mechanical its how you tweak the "engine" to run well. Where you should be worrying is the authenticity of parts (should you need it), as well as availability. if you are lucky to find someone who is independent, and has a rolex parts account; then i see no reason why the independent watchmaker is any inferior.

RSC should be able to look and find out simply by looking up their records, see you havent been here, and what services have been preformed on your watch.

$75 would be saved, but you walk away knowing its authentic with no "receipt". to some people that is one way to get a free authentication.

Your obsession is simply a progression stage in your horology hobby. soon you are going to look at new poison
          [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
          [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
          Blue 6694
          Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
          [U]"My collection"[/U]:
          [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

Sad to hear about your news. It's indeed heartbreaking when one's precious Rolex is dropped accidentally.

I think for better and reliable assurance, you should consider RSC. But they do charge more. But as their servicing comes with 2 years of warranty, it's still more worth if the "unauthorised" servicing comes back with more problems. That will cost you more and may result more damages.

Not sure whether RSC can spot the differences unless there is any non-original parts being replaced during servicing by outside parties.

I do agree such glass replacements so-called saved your $75 verification. However, if you had a choice, would you want to replace the glass or spend $75 for verification? Moreover, if I am not wrong, the replaced glass may not have the Rolex crown at 6 o'clock. It may have something different as that will differentiate original or replaced glass. You may wish to find out more.

I am also like you, do surf ROC regularly. I am keen to know about the common ideas from all Singapore Rolex watch lovers. ROC also becomes a regular site for me to see more watches.

Lastly, I believe all watch lovers do sympathise each other when hearing such news like initial scratch or damaged glass. I will feel the same if I were you. Anyway, as long as the watch is repaired and fully serviced, you can be rest assured again! Btw, SD is indeed a great watch. I also like my M series SD too!

Comment

Do it in RSC bro...their warranty is definitely worth more than outside warranty.

JLC / Omega / Sinn / Breitling / Baume & Mercier / Zenith / Rolex / Tag Heuer / Panerai / VC / Longines / Seiko / Citizen / Casio

YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE.

Comment

I would get my servicing done at RSC for peace of mind too. I feel your pain as I was reading your story.
                1 3 5
                ├┼┼╕
                2 4 6 R

Comment

Originally posted by breitling77 View Post
                  ... Moreover, if I am not wrong, the replaced glass may not have the Rolex crown at 6 o'clock. It may have something different as that will differentiate original or replaced glass. You may wish to find out more....
                  I think the replaced crystal retains the crown, but with some kind of marking inside.
                  [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
                  [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
                  Blue 6694
                  Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
                  [U]"My collection"[/U]:
                  [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

An update.

Received a call yesterday around 4pm to collect my SD. Thought that was pretty efficient to change s/crystal within a day.

The cool chick from the day before was there again. She explained patiently every single part of the watch that had hairline scratches etc. Most of which invisible to the naked eyes. She told me to get come in a years time to service and polish the watch. No need to do it right now. My SD was also calibrated and everything looks as it was before the dreadful drop.

Cant see any crown on the crystal or is it invisible to the naked eyes too?

Having read all your comments, I think I will get the servicing done at RSC. Piece of mind is important to me and since the service standards at RSC has been satisfactory, I will be back to service my SD.

Until then, I am just glad to wear my precious SD as I typed....oh yes, glad that I am not alone with these obessions with Rolex watches. Couple more months time, the SubC Date and SubC LV will reach our shores...really cant wait. Woo hooooo....

Comment

Good to learn that you have gotten back your precious. Take care of it properly in future.

Cheers and have a wonderful day!

The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Glad things turn out fine. Thks for sharing and good weekend ahead!
                        运筹帷幄 决胜千里

Comment

the crown is very hard to see at 6 o'clock with naked eyes.
                          Audemars Piguet Ball Bell&Ross Cartier IWC Longines Omega Panerai Rolex Sinn Tissot

Alba Casio Citizen Roox Seiko

Wanted to add PP but bo lui

Comment

Originally posted by Oceanklassik View Post
                            Good to learn that you have gotten back your precious. Take care of it properly in future.

Cheers and have a wonderful day!

Oceanklassik Bro, thanks for sharing your pervs....the most annoying part is you know how well you have been taking care of your rolex, avoiding people on the streets from banging onto it, carefully opening doors, windows, etc all with the intention of not getting it scratched or knocked...rinsing and cleaning it before I go the bed and even sleeping with it....how could I be so careless as to let it drop on the floor??!!

Sigh...the things we do to our Rolexes...its just madness. I may just start a thread to ask forum bros what are their individual pervs.....

Comment

Is the SD still water tight - if no, mositure will get in thru the crack ?

Thinks of the bright side - only the crystal and not the oyster case chipped or ding.

Thank u 4 sharing yr story and experience

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X