No announcement yet.

Use Winder or leave the watch "dead"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Definately leave it DEAD. But not for too long.
    Occasionally, once in every 2weeks, take it out to wind to regulate the movt regularly to prevent the lubricant from condensing or drying up.

Just think...the movt are like machine.. non stop of wkin will cause the wheels n gears to wear out bcos of friction, they will eventually breakdown, hence needs servicing then. N dont forget there are a few hundred parts in the calibre..to change the worn out parts doesnt mean after servicing it will resume its accuracy n "PES A" combat fit status..

......ask the techicans from RSC n Swatch Group svc ctr n u get the answer.

Comment

Last time my semi-wind rolex (6694) always need to wind everyday and it breakdown twice in the winding area repair cost around 300-500 bucks....so i am afraid my automatic rolex, if i always need to wind every week will also got this problem....i think watch winder is still the best..

Comment

Thanks for everyone's participation. After hearing from so many people, I have evaluated and believe in the below;

I am going to treat my watches like a car engine. Leaving it for rest at times when I am overseas, or during reservist, and occasionally go and warm up the car now and then.

Leaving the watches not moving at all for a long time may means it may cause some mechanism in the internal parts not to have any oil lubrication at all. This will not be good for the watch. Having it running in the watch winder all the time, like all mechanical parts, will wear out, after all, there are frictions between the hundreds of metal parts inside.

So, the concept is to leave is not moving for couple of weeks or so (if you are not wearing of course), then running via watch winder for a day or two to rejuvenate the watch with lubrication. Or just off the winder and ON it once in a while when you feel like seeing the rotations.

I personally believe this is the best combination.

Cheers!
        Present:
        Rolex Explorer I , 114270
        Rolex Explorer II , 16570
        Rolex Submariner 16110 LV
        Tudor Glamour DayDate, 56003
        Tag Heur Classic 2000
        Orient Diver CEM75001B

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile