Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

use cash to buy. solve the problem.

Originally posted by Tasmania View Post
    Not sure if this topic of poor exchange rates for credit card has been discussed before.

I find that whilst bros here may shop for rolex in Japan, HK etc, the credit card exchange rates are usually much poorer which minimise the savings or sometimes even make buying overseas not worthwhile.

Any ideas to get around this "problem"?
    if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
    1. subject heading indicating your issue
    2. your nick
    3. your corresponding email address
    4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

Originally posted by triton View Post
      use cash to buy. solve the problem.
      That's definitely an option. Just thinking is it wise to always bring additional S$10k in cash when overseas... haha.
      On my wrist:
      2010 Seiko Spirit
      2009 Tag Heuer Autavia
      2009 Breitling Superocean Steelfish
      2008 GMT II Black/Red
      2008 Exp II White
      2006 Orient Power-reserve
      2005 Citizen Eco-drive

Wishlist:
      GMT-IIc
      Breitling Blackbird
      Omega Aquagraph Chronograph

Comment

YOu can also use travel's cheque... but cash is better...

That's definitely an option. Just thinking is it wise to always bring additional S$10k in cash when overseas... haha.

Comment

just becareful of currency restrictions in certain countries. In Oz you are only allowed a measly A$10K or equivalent. I find that a load of bull****.
          [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
          [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
          Blue 6694
          Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
          [U]"My collection"[/U]:
          [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

How about USA? With the low dollar at 1.36 now, will it be cheaper to buy there?

Any know if airport at San Franscisco selling Rolex watches?
            Used to wear - Tag Heuer SEL Series
            Now Wearing - Seiko
            Soon to buy - Rolex Datejust 116234
            Future Buys - Pre-own Omega Speedy Pro for Daily Use

Comment

Originally posted by seiko.citizen View Post
              just becareful of currency restrictions in certain countries. In Oz you are only allowed a measly A$10K or equivalent. I find that a load of bull****.
              but how they know ah if u bring more than 10k?

Sometimes forgotten, but always contactable. Darkangel (2007-2014)

Comment

Not sure if this topic of poor exchange rates for credit card has been discussed before.

Any ideas to get around this "problem"?
                Referring to VISA card? Tried MasterCard before? Certain countires, it's better to use MasterCard ... eg. M'sia, Indo, certain part of Europe.
                Cheers!
                Den

Collection : PAM190 PAM88 PAM45

Comment

Originally posted by Darkangel View Post
                  but how they know ah if u bring more than 10k?
                  I also not sure, but got many people checked by the border staff. Usually body behaviour is a dead giveaway, if you start acting suspicious, then you for sure will get called and searched.
                  I have never been caught, and some people i know also bring in more. Usually if you bring >A$10K, you declare, they ask you to fill stat declaration to say that the money is earnt, and not from illigal proceeds, and you are free to go.
                  Blue 6694
                  [U]"My collection"[/U]:

Comment

San Francisco Airport does not sell any Rolex. With 8.25% sales tax, it is not worth buying anything from San Francisco unless you can get discount but I don't think so (for sport models).
                    Originally posted by The Guru View Post
                    How about USA? With the low dollar at 1.36 now, will it be cheaper to buy there?

Any know if airport at San Franscisco selling Rolex watches?

Comment

Originally posted by SabaDen View Post
                      Referring to VISA card? Tried MasterCard before? Certain countires, it's better to use MasterCard ... eg. M'sia, Indo, certain part of Europe.
                      Yup. Referring to VISA card. Cos my last trip was in China. Realise that the exchange rate was 4.9. In Singapore, the exchange rate via money changer was 5.1
                      On my wrist:
                      2010 Seiko Spirit
                      2009 Tag Heuer Autavia
                      2009 Breitling Superocean Steelfish
                      2008 GMT II Black/Red
                      2008 Exp II White
                      2006 Orient Power-reserve
                      2005 Citizen Eco-drive

Wishlist:
                      GMT-IIc
                      Breitling Blackbird
                      Omega Aquagraph Chronograph

Comment

Yup. Referring to VISA card. Cos my last trip was in China. Realise that the exchange rate was 4.9. In Singapore, the exchange rate via money changer was 5.1
                        Mastercard has a better rate in most countries. Next trip, try Mastercard and compare.
                        Cheers!
                        Den

Comment

Is there anyway to check the latest rates online?

Comment

i thought it was using banks rates?? obviously not. Maybe can call up CC provider and see how.
                            Blue 6694
                            [U]"My collection"[/U]:

Comment

as far as i understand that credit card processing procedure, it is like a 3 step process.

authorise - say you got a credit limit of 1k, and the item u buy cost 100. when the cashier swipes the card, it generates the receipt for you to sign. @ this point in time, you have not officially been billed yet. only thing happens is your credit limit is lowered to 900.

capture - this happens @ the end of a business transaction day. the merchant will press a button to send all the transactions during the day back to the merchant's bank. if the merchant's bank is DBS and the credit card is issued by OCBC. then it may take a couple of days before it is given all clear and the buyer is officially billed. this is the time, when the exchange rate is determined. therefore you will noticed that transaction date may be 27052008, but the billed date is different. *this billed date does not refer to the statement date*

settlement - everyone either gets paid or pay.

Originally posted by mtech View Post
                              Is there anyway to check the latest rates online?
                              if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
                              1. subject heading indicating your issue
                              2. your nick
                              3. your corresponding email address
                              4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

Originally posted by triton View Post
                                as far as i understand that credit card processing procedure, it is like a 3 step process.

authorise - say you got a credit limit of 1k, and the item u buy cost 100. when the cashier swipes the card, it generates the receipt for you to sign. @ this point in time, you have not officially been billed yet. only thing happens is your credit limit is lowered to 900.

capture - this happens @ the end of a business transaction day. the merchant will press a button to send all the transactions during the day back to the merchant's bank. if the merchant's bank is DBS and the credit card is issued by OCBC. then it may take a couple of days before it is given all clear and the buyer is officially billed. this is the time, when the exchange rate is determined. therefore you will noticed that transaction date may be 27052008, but the billed date is different. *this billed date does not refer to the statement date*

settlement - everyone either gets paid or pay.
                                Hi triton, dun mind I add or correct your statement above -

Authorise - this portion is correct and depends on your credit limit, it's lowered by $100 ... this is what is called earmarked funds.

Capture - the term is 'Settlement'. At this point of time, as per what you stated, the merchant will perform a settlement function on the point of sale machine to confirm sale. At this point, the transaction will reside somewhere in the bank system pending billing to customer on statement date. Any dispute after merchant settlement, u will have to raise with the bank instead of the merchant. Payment will be made to merchant 24-48hrs after settlement. For local cards (issued by local registered licenced banks) making local transactions, the exchange rates do not apply ... you'll still bill in exact SGD$. Exchange rates come into play only when you are making purchases not in the country where your card is issued. eg. S'pore issued cards transact in USA, vice-versa.

Settlement - In this case, I should say from account statement date to due date, customer should make payment to the bank or else he'll incur interest after due date. Merchant shud have been paid much earlier.

Please note that the exchange rates are not determined by the banks. It's determined by VISA or MasterCard interchange rates which resides in their respect headquaters most probably in the USA.

Hope this clarifies ... and dun give u all headache hor.
                                Cheers!
                                Den

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X