Beware of Japan AD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pet View Post
    bro, whn u make purchase, did u show passport and fill up a tax form and they have a copy of the form paste in your passport. If have, they over charge u..... If dont have, some misunderstanding loh.

Ok, me no expert hor, but jst share some info:

1. jst like spore, some shop no tax refund 1 ( so check first b4 buying ).. big dept store sure hv. sometimes language barrier... so double & triple check. ( those want to buy RXW watch...they dont hv tax refund )...
    2. their tax refund easy easy... for dept store.
    eg. bought frm sogo... pay in full ( incl of tax ). after tht, bring passport down to their customer service ( usually at basement and where they sell gift vouchers/ membership etc, show them passport/ receipt etc.. fill up form, thn they gv u tax refund back in cash. they will paste a form in yr passport.. whn u depart, custom will take it.
    eg. some other dept store, at cashier, fil up form, show passport, pay total less tax amount. they will too paste a form in yr passport.. whn u depart, custom will take it.
    3. warranty, usually within 1- 2 months time they ems u... tht's provided the AD dont screw up... hehee ... also check tht u hv some forms/ those notes in the box... there's usually a pc of reg form ( in jap, with yr serial no & AD name printed on it ). ..( dunno how to describe, i free, go take a pic of it ) ...least hor, if u dont recieve yr plastic reg card, u still hv record the serial & AD name there... there's some contact no on it also etc...
    Really appreciate your clear explaination. everyone can benefit from sharing.

Apparently, when i check my e-statement just now, they reverse the original deduction and change it to the correct amount. I wonder if it's because i have pass the form to the custom or the custom officer did a investigation on that matter since i told them my scenario. Somehow i still don't feel comfortable with the way they handle things.
    I may get a gd deal so if u guys want to get a watch there...just remember what happen to me.

Comment

Thanks for the update. At least it's fair now.
      The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Not only in Japan, many tourists also face the same problem when claiming their sales tax in many other countries. So do your homework and ASK all questions before making any purchases...

Comment

Originally posted by SOHrolex View Post

Apparently, when i check my e-statement just now, they reverse the original deduction and change it to the correct amount. I wonder if it's because i have pass the form to the custom or the custom officer did a investigation on that matter since i told them my scenario. Somehow i still don't feel comfortable with the way they handle things.
          I may get a gd deal so if u guys want to get a watch there...just remember what happen to me.
          It could be that the tax system must charge full price, then keep warranty paper to lodge return paperwork, and credit you refund, and send you warranty.

Originally posted by 116520 View Post
          Not only in Japan, many tourists also face the same problem when claiming their sales tax in many other countries. So do your homework and ASK all questions before making any purchases...
          My father bought LCD tv and bring to Oz, he check in and never claim the GST due to the check in girl telling him that can check in and claim once pass immigration, only to find out *rudely* that the answer is NO, and no chance of going back out.

Surely as a staff at the airport you know roughly what is going on. For that I blame Customs/airport staff.

However it took two long months of ding dong email, plenty of tai chi on both sides, and a lot of complaints to STB, SG Customs, changi airport to get the ball rolling.
          [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
          [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
          Blue 6694
          Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
          [U]"My collection"[/U]:
          [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

The problem is that the staffs in the airport all go by the book... that's why there is this tai chi thing going on...

Originally posted by seiko.citizen View Post

However it took two long months of ding dong email, plenty of tai chi on both sides, and a lot of complaints to STB, SG Customs, changi airport to get the ball rolling.

Comment

Originally posted by 116520 View Post
              The problem is that the staffs in the airport all go by the book... that's why there is this tai chi thing going on...
              my old man before check in got ask whether can claim GST or not, the check in girl say OK, NO PROBLEM!!!.... so as a non-seasoned traveller, he took their word (mistake #1). If only I knew CAAS was so incompetant, I would have told him to save the headache and buy in perth.
              Blue 6694
              [U]"My collection"[/U]:

Comment

Originally posted by SOHrolex View Post

glad tht u hv it sorted out...

anyway, tax refund in jp is easy, cos it lies with the individual retailer...as for how's it;s done, not very sure.

it can pay total price ( less tax ) at some dept store... while another dept store, u pay total with tax, and u go customer service to claim back the refund in cash ( regardless of if u pay in cc or cash ).
                and for your case,maybe the retailer ( not big dept store ) need to go thru a 3rd party, so he charge u the full amount, and after file in, credit the tax bck to yr card. ( normally they dont explain much to u 1... cos hor, ang mo not so good, so they tok less... hahhaha )

as far as i know jp people got pride 1 ( esp these hi end retailers ), they usually wont cheat on tourist, unless really some misunderstanding.

by the way, min to claim tax/ purchase must be min = 10,000 yen.

actually jp standard very good leow, some other countries like sg 1s, go thru another party, dont get full, they charge commission etc...
                Last edited by pet; 26-05-08, 08:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pet View Post
                  glad tht u hv it sorted out...

anyway, tax refund in jp is easy, cos it lies with the individual retailer...as for how's it;s done, not very sure.

it can pay total price ( less tax ) at some dept store... while another dept store, u pay total with tax, and u go customer service to claim back the refund in cash ( regardless of if u pay in cc or cash ).
                  and for your case,maybe the retailer ( not big dept store ) need to go thru a 3rd party, so he charge u the full amount, and after file in, credit the tax bck to yr card. ( normally they dont explain much to u 1... cos hor, ang mo not so good, so they tok less... hahhaha )

as far as i know jp people got pride 1 ( esp these hi end retailers ), they usually wont cheat on tourist, unless really some misunderstanding.

by the way, min to claim tax/ purchase must be min = 10,000 yen.

actually jp standard very good leow, some other countries like sg 1s, go thru another party, dont get full, they charge commission etc...
                  10k JPY nothing, can easily buy that amount in japan. my father buy some kitchen knife already JPY15k
                  Good to know that japanese dun usually shortchange tourist, unlike some s'porean retailers.... real cheats!!
                  Blue 6694
                  [U]"My collection"[/U]:

Comment

true....singapore alot of scam shops....esp in SIM LIM area and etc...
                    Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak

Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen

Quoted from Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by feilong108 View Post
                      act dumb one leh......... my lecturer phuy chao nua at s'porean. he say he go to s'pore to holiday, end up kenna makan by those irresponsible shopkeeper, somemore the gst refund also makan. diu nia sen! he swear never to come to sg again. i can just imagine what he end up telling his friend.
                      Blue 6694
                      [U]"My collection"[/U]:

Comment

Hor! This 1 I quote for someone to see...

Though he knows this himself hahaha

Sometimes forgotten, but always contactable. Darkangel (2007-2014)

Comment

very true, also at lucky plaza, people park/centre, chinatown, anywhere got tourist got these people headhunting them.

Originally posted by Darkangel View Post

my lecturer is korean, but still no excuse.

Sometimes I feel sorry when an angmoh go and buy something, and they are being shafted right in front of their faces.

Really goes to show that s'pore got a long way to go in terms of customer care, and service.
                          Blue 6694
                          [U]"My collection"[/U]:

Comment

Originally posted by Darkangel View Post

no lah, his very good, cos recently he wnt overseas for 'training'

Comment

I don't agree with you guys... There are many Local ADs at chinatown, lucky plaza too, they are giving excellent service to their customers.

Originally posted by seiko.citizen View Post
                              very true, also at lucky plaza, people park/centre, chinatown, anywhere got tourist got these people headhunting them.

my lecturer is korean, but still no excuse.

Sometimes I feel sorry when an angmoh go and buy something, and they are being shafted right in front of their faces.

Really goes to show that s'pore got a long way to go in terms of customer care, and service.

Comment

for who to c ar???
                                Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak

Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen

Quoted from Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X