Price for local set and oversea set

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Price for local set and oversea set

Anybody know why Rolex price so much different between Local Set and Oversea set? Take Rolex Submariner as example, local AD selling at no discount i.e. S$8228 but PI selling oversea set at S$7000 to 7400.

The watch, box, papers and warranty are the same...i.e genuine and from same factory. Why this price gap can happen?

My German friend found the same thing, he priced a Rolex (please don't ask I do not know which model) for his wife as a XMas gift in Germany, Singapore and Indonesia all from AD's in respective countries. All prices converted to USD he said he found the price to be cheapest in Jakarta by about USD 2300 from the more expensive prices found in Germany and next being Singapore.

Moral of the story, He ended up buying her a book for that XMas, that was about 7 years ago, she divorced him 4 years ago. He has had a very smart Japanese gf, that holds a very position in VW Germany, for the past 2 years, that is 14 yrs younger than his ex-wife.

Comment

possible reason:

1) no discount - christmas/CNY period. tendency to offer discount is reduced during this period for the past 4 years that i have observed. the AD believe that people get bonus and will spend. irregardless if locals or expat. possible more tourists coming. can price higher to earn more. why not

2) higher operating costs - look what what have sprung up recently. alot of leading brands are opening their own boutiques. IN NAME ONLY. but you will realise that it is still the AD such as THG, Sincere, Cortina operating them. this can be authenticated. maybe got tie up with brands. however, if they really want to open, why not engage their own staff rather than using AD staff? but then again, use AD staff, cut cost mah. win win situation. let's wait till june next year and see if their discount increase.

3) if u look @ the pricing, the discount which is max is about 15%. assuming that pricing overseas and local are the same. then the critical difference comes in VAT and exchange rate. also those PI dealers have connection with overseas AD, as such they will get discount also. so factor all the 3 factors - VAT, exchange rate, discount given. the buying price is lower compared to sg.

however, as a precaution, i always tell buyers to authenticate the watch @ the service centre of respective brands to have a peace of mind.

Originally posted by ckhouse80 View Post
      Anybody know why Rolex price so much different between Local Set and Oversea set? Take Rolex Submariner as example, local AD selling at no discount i.e. S$8228 but PI selling oversea set at S$7000 to 7400.

The watch, box, papers and warranty are the same...i.e genuine and from same factory. Why this price gap can happen?
      if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
      1. subject heading indicating your issue
      2. your nick
      3. your corresponding email address
      4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

Originally posted by triton View Post
        possible reason:

1) no discount - christmas/CNY period. tendency to offer discount is reduced during this period for the past 4 years that i have observed. the AD believe that people get bonus and will spend. irregardless if locals or expat. possible more tourists coming. can price higher to earn more. why not

2) higher operating costs - look what what have sprung up recently. alot of leading brands are opening their own boutiques. IN NAME ONLY. but you will realise that it is still the AD such as THG, Sincere, Cortina operating them. this can be authenticated. maybe got tie up with brands. however, if they really want to open, why not engage their own staff rather than using AD staff? but then again, use AD staff, cut cost mah. win win situation. let's wait till june next year and see if their discount increase.

3) if u look @ the pricing, the discount which is max is about 15%. assuming that pricing overseas and local are the same. then the critical difference comes in VAT and exchange rate. also those PI dealers have connection with overseas AD, as such they will get discount also. so factor all the 3 factors - VAT, exchange rate, discount given. the buying price is lower compared to sg.

however, as a precaution, i always tell buyers to authenticate the watch @ the service centre of respective brands to have a peace of mind.
        Very detailed explaination. Like what im said in previous post, the sub (sport series) are very popular and always no stock. Why oversea AD don't sale to their own country customer to make more money?

Comment

Originally posted by triton View Post
          possible reason:

Good explanation but also the item is priced towards the purchasing power of the local country. I always find IWC watches priced lower here in Jakarta than in Singapore but of course you have to order and wait on the stock with most.

Comment

Originally posted by Watchman1957 View Post
            Good explanation but also the item is priced towards the purchasing power of the local country. I always find IWC watches priced lower here in Jakarta than in Singapore but of course you have to order and wait on the stock with most.

May be in Jakarta but how about Hong Kong? They purchasing power about the same as singapore. Why still have rolex watch from hong kong and sale here?

Comment

May be in Jakarta but how about Hong Kong? They purchasing power about the same as singapore. Why still have rolex watch from hong kong and sale here?

Everything is discounted in HK, don't know of anything that is not...

Comment

different countries are allocated with different quantity. different countries preferences are different as well.

Very detailed explaination. Like what im said in previous post, the sub (sport series) are very popular and always no stock. Why oversea AD don't sale to their own country customer to make more money?
                if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

kindly email with
                2. your nick

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

Comment

purchasing power is also a factor. any possibility is the demand vs supply issue.

order and wait for stock is ok, provided the agreed price is agreed upon. to me, no stock, means no need to negotiate. cause by the time stock arrives, price and/or discount can change.

Originally posted by Watchman1957 View Post

kindly email with
                  2. your nick

Comment

Do PI accept VISA installments or strictly cash?

Do PI do accept VISA installments or strictly cash?

If say I want to buy a sub date?

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X