Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trading my Rolex with another Rolex in the US

Hi need advise from all you guys ,
    I'm thinking of trading my watch with another watch + top up 7k Usd with a guy in the US , how should i ensure the deal goes on smoothly ?

I've suggest him to take a photo of his watch together with some identification document and i do the same than we email one another , than video call through MSN to verify each other face to see if its the same person inside the picture .

But my question is , what kind of payment mode is the most safe and hassle free mode ?
    I also need advise whats is the fastest and most reliable way to ship my watch and also wanna make sure both watch arrive safely at our hands .
    What other things i need to take note of eg; insurance , tax ............

Really need help , as this is the 1st time shipping my watch out and also 1st time buying watch from overseas .

I really quite keen with the watch , and i'm prepare to take some risk , but trying to minimise the risk and hassle .

Thanks Guys
    Focal JM_Labs .
    "The Sprits Of Sounds".

Rolex WG Daytona D series Silver dial 116509
    Rolex RG DD II with pink diamond dial V Series 218235
    Rolex YG President DD with Diamond and Ruby 18038
    Rolex Explorer I Black D series 114270
    Rolex DJ TT Grey Dial 16233
    Rolex Precision 6694 Black Dial
    Rolex Precision 6694 Silver Dial
    Rolex Oyster Perpetual Z series black dial 176200
    Panerai 233K 8 days power reserve
    Cartier Santos 100XL
    Hublot Big Bang Edition 44mm

i would leave the rest of the experts on tax and insurance stuff. however, i know that anything above 500 warrant a GST when arrive. so u need to add GST to the watch.

1) i can take the picture and vc with u with a fake watch. how are you going to know what arrives will not be a lemon?

2) even if the seller is with good reputation, you may not have good reputation in the selling forum. anything goes wrong, u suffer. even if 2 parties involved are good reputation. suffer is u.

3) u need to ask yourself, how much are you going to risk from the savings aka watch + top up vs selling ur watch. if less than 1K, i say forget it. if between 2-4k, then u have to ask yourself, savings of 2-4k vs losing selling price of ur watch (worst case scenario).

4) even with tracking mechanism, anything go wrong can push the blame to courier.

if this watch not available local market and very hard to find? or is it the price too good to resist?

Originally posted by BRABUS View Post
    Hi need advise from all you guys ,
    I'm thinking of trading my watch with another watch + top up 7k Usd with a guy in the US , how should i ensure the deal goes on smoothly ?

I've suggest him to take a photo of his watch together with some identification document and i do the same than we email one another , than video call through MSN to verify each other face to see if its the same person inside the picture .

But my question is , what kind of payment mode is the most safe and hassle free mode ?
    I also need advise whats is the fastest and most reliable way to ship my watch and also wanna make sure both watch arrive safely at our hands .

Really need help , as this is the 1st time shipping my watch out and also 1st time buying watch from overseas .

I really quite keen with the watch , and i'm prepare to take some risk , but trying to minimise the risk and hassle .

Thanks Guys
    if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
    1. subject heading indicating your issue
    2. your nick
    3. your corresponding email address
    4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

Originally posted by BRABUS View Post
      Thanks Guys
      first and foremost, you better make sure that the US party is clean. Do not just rely on his references provided, do your own google search, put up reference checks on the main watch forums, check out watchnet's deal watch list for known scammers etc. Note that recently there are known established collectors who have gone rogue...

As a buyer (ie you send cash), you will want paypal. As a seller (ie you receive cash), you will want bank transfer. Not sure from your post who is coming up with the USD7k. If you are the receipent of the monies, insist on bank transfer and ship out only when the bank confirms that the monies are cleared (if payment is by bogus cheque, it may take 2-4 days to bounce and thereafter bank will recall the monies in your account)

For shipping, I recommend Fedex with ParcelPro insurance. Bundle up your watch, do the paperwork and wait for FedEx guy to come pick it up. I find it fast and efficient with the necessary protection.

Note that for watches going to USA, there is some tax which I understand is quite fierce. You better make it clear that such tax is not your responsiblity to bear.

For your watch coming in to Singapore via postal services, if the declared value is more than S$400 (based on my experiences), 90% of the time it will be held at Payar Lebar Customs for you to pay GST. For UPS, I understand that you pay the UPS guy on the spot (I think, cannot remember). Or sometimes Christmas comes early and you may find that it comes in notwithstanding that the declared value is USD10000

Have fun and put up pics of your incoming piece.

Ender
      "Once is happenstance, twice is coincidence,
      three times is enemy action and
      over 600 is clearly the work of an ancient Sumerian demon or some sh*t
      ."

Comment

The general rule is that you should both set a time, take photo of the watch at this agreed time, and exchange photos to verify the watch actually exists.

MORE IMPORTANT:
        You did not state if the watch you are posting is a Rolex. Note that US Customs has an arrangement with Rolex about protecting their brand rights.

As such, THERE IS A HIGH RISK that your watch will be confiscated by US Customs if you are posting it there.

If you don't declare the item is a rolex, it may get through ... and other bros have told me about various methods for posting a Rolex to the USA to get it through ...but ultimately you are running a risk.

Go google about this, there are articles about this issue. Take note.

As for my preferences, I prefer to use Pay pal as there is some nominal protection , even if I have to bear the fees (wire costs money too, right?).

Comment

Thanks guys , had to call the deal off , as the buyer not willing to ship outside US , and i'm also feel its too much of a hassle .

Thanks again for your help .
          Focal JM_Labs .
          "The Sprits Of Sounds".

Rolex WG Daytona D series Silver dial 116509
          Rolex RG DD II with pink diamond dial V Series 218235
          Rolex YG President DD with Diamond and Ruby 18038
          Rolex Explorer I Black D series 114270
          Rolex DJ TT Grey Dial 16233
          Rolex Precision 6694 Black Dial
          Rolex Precision 6694 Silver Dial
          Rolex Oyster Perpetual Z series black dial 176200
          Panerai 233K 8 days power reserve
          Cartier Santos 100XL
          Hublot Big Bang Edition 44mm

Comment

i've been overseas, and i hope i'm not too late.

i'm an active buyer (i'm not a reseller, just a collector) on US forums, and i have had a few unpleasant experiences.

i would recommend you see if the other party is reliable by posting on a public forum for comments AND checking/searching watchnet VERY THOROUGHLY.

you should also consider insuring your own watch with parcelpro, and ask him to do the same for his. use a reliable form of shipping (not regular USPS service).

in case the trade has gone through, i hope everything went well.
            “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
            Working...
            X