Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NeedSome advice from experts of dial condition and what u mean by overhaul

Dear Bro,

I just came from a pre owned watch dealer yesterday in Chinatown.

I saw 2 pre own boy size watches. But weren't sure the condition except guessing that its okay condition though they have a 1 yr guarantee period.

Kindly advice your thoughts on 2 issues

1) The dial has some not visible via naked eye except for close up using the magnifying glass some very very small fine speck of white smudges. I guess it must the humidity and condensation from cold air on the dial from the previous owner. Is it normal to find that on a dial? If so, can i get the pre owned dealer to clear the dial? The pre-owned dealer says cannot clear the dial. NOt sure if thats sure. By right if you buy from pre-owned, would they do a full servicing including cleaning the dial right?

I not sure should I get this watch becos the the dial having some fine smudges. If its a common sign for most pre-owned watches due to condensation of cold air, then I am not so concern. Pls advice...

2) Saw another pre owned watch. It comes with a Rolex SERVICE certification cert that states the word " OVERHAUL" . The dealer is pretty honest and also told me there is a slight chip on the sapphire glass. I am doubtful if the previous owner has taken care given the impact to cause a chip on the sapphire glass. Also not sure if the word "overhaul" means a total change of ALL parts becos the previous owner did not take care.

Or is it just adding oil or lubricant in all the parts which is typical of servcing in the RSC. hENCE their service certificaiton cert will ALWAYS shows "overhaul" this word. Has anyone send your rolex for regular svcing and kindly check for me if yr svcg cert has a word which says "OVERHAUL" .

Would anyone advice on taking the second option if the svc cert says overhaul and there is a chip in the sapphire glass?

Or is it a normal procedure that RSC will always use the word "OVERHAUL" for all the the service cert issued?

3) Lastly, if I don't trust the pre-owned dealer svcg and wanted to make sure some of the parts are changed using after market parts for replacement purposes. Hence wanted to do a servicing again at RSC, how much would that cost? I know 75 dollar is just for authentication purpose? Wat about doing a svcg in RSC?

Tks

Originally posted by ches72 View Post
    Dear Bro,

I just came from a pre owned watch dealer yesterday in Chinatown.

I saw 2 pre own boy size watches. But weren't sure the condition except guessing that its okay condition though they have a 1 yr guarantee period.

Kindly advice your thoughts on 2 issues

1) The dial has some not visible via naked eye except for close up using the magnifying glass some very very small fine speck of white smudges. I guess it must the humidity and condensation from cold air on the dial from the previous owner. Is it normal to find that on a dial? If so, can i get the pre owned dealer to clear the dial? The pre-owned dealer says cannot clear the dial. NOt sure if thats sure. By right if you buy from pre-owned, would they do a full servicing including cleaning the dial right?

I not sure should I get this watch becos the the dial having some fine smudges. If its a common sign for most pre-owned watches due to condensation of cold air, then I am not so concern. Pls advice...

2) Saw another pre owned watch. It comes with a Rolex SERVICE certification cert that states the word " OVERHAUL" . The dealer is pretty honest and also told me there is a slight chip on the sapphire glass. I am doubtful if the previous owner has taken care given the impact to cause a chip on the sapphire glass. Also not sure if the word "overhaul" means a total change of ALL parts becos the previous owner did not take care.

Or is it just adding oil or lubricant in all the parts which is typical of servcing in the RSC. hENCE their service certificaiton cert will ALWAYS shows "overhaul" this word. Has anyone send your rolex for regular svcing and kindly check for me if yr svcg cert has a word which says "OVERHAUL" .

Would anyone advice on taking the second option if the svc cert says overhaul and there is a chip in the sapphire glass?

Or is it a normal procedure that RSC will always use the word "OVERHAUL" for all the the service cert issued?

3) Lastly, if I don't trust the pre-owned dealer svcg and wanted to make sure some of the parts are changed using after market parts for replacement purposes. Hence wanted to do a servicing again at RSC, how much would that cost? I know 75 dollar is just for authentication purpose? Wat about doing a svcg in RSC?

Tks

Oops sorry to add... the white smudges looks like some fine stains or looks like dry water marks on your car. Very very fine and small. NOt visible to naked eye except close up or tilt at an angle to look at close up.

Comment

Seriously, in this kinda' condition; white smudges, chipped glass, etc. I won't even think about buying it. Sending it to RSC to service/repair is very costly. Let's hear from other gurus here.
      The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

What's the name of the shop?

Sometimes forgotten, but always contactable. Darkangel (2007-2014)

Comment

Originally posted by Darkangel View Post
          What's the name of the shop?
          Sorry bro,

No offence. I am hesistant to reveal the shop name. This is becos I am still considering or not to get. In addtion, they are at least honest and transparent to have it already made known that there are some imperfections.

I am posting this thread just to gather some thoughts and advice if pp has simliar experences of dial having some tiny specks or tiny dry water marks/ smudges. Plus checking what you mean by the word "overhaul" in a Rolex svc cert. Basically distinguishing if its a usual svc (like lubricanting parts) or a major overhaul of parts caused by a terrible trauma to the watch by previous owner.

tks

Comment

the dial has probably deteriorate over the years for 1 reason or another.

when a shop post 1 year guarantee, it is to show potential customers they stand by their product. however, ask them they guarantee what? mechanism parts or what. it can be use as a marketing ploy.

giving 1 year guarantee does not mean the watch was serviced. let's look @ the rolexes out there, how many have you heard that the mechanism broke down? usually guarantee is on failure of mechanism or the mechanism keeps telling you the wrong time. i have not heard any rolex got such extreme mechanism problem. but does not mean there isn't.

if timing is off, a time regulation @ RSC will do the trick. usually it is done FOC.

yes, they do use the word overhaul if there are too many items to list out. in the past, they will provide customers with a list of what is changed and the cost. now they dont. just a lump sum price on the service paper.

yes, a watch can be sent in for overhaul but with the glass unchanged because the damaged to the glass can occur after the service or previous owner chose not to replace the glass due to cost as glass is considered cosmetic change. it does not affect the accuracy of the mechanism.

be careful when u go RSC and tell them that you want to do servicing. personally, i have brought in watch that is just serviced aka within 1 week and the RSC staff also say need servicing. either the watch mechanic is not doing a proper job or RSC wants to earn money. i dont know. why not bring the watch to couple of other watch maker and see if the watch requires servicing. if 2 of them say dont need to service and RSC say need. then something is not right, wouldn't it?

Originally posted by ches72 View Post

Tks
            if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
            1. subject heading indicating your issue
            2. your nick
            3. your corresponding email address
            4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

tks for all the replies!

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
              Working...
              X