Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Serial Number after "G" series

hi guys

just want to check if anyone encounter Rolex watches after "G" series has only one letter and the rest numbers..

Example: K8728168

Shouldn't the new numbering system be somewhat: 6A346H27 instead?

thanks in advance!
    Currently Own
    Rolex Submariner Ceramic 116610LN - May 2014

Originally posted by aisheng View Post
    just want to check if anyone encounter Rolex watches after "G" series has only one letter and the rest numbers..

Example: K8728168

Shouldn't the new numbering system be somewhat: 6A346H27 instead?
    case serial numbers are generally used to date case manufacture date, not date that the watch left switzerland or the date that it was sold.

it's entirely possible to have a watch with a much "older" case serial that was sold recently - this is usually for expensive models (common) OR perhaps an inventory "oversight" (uncommon).

so if you are looking at a common steel or two-tone rolex watch... it's more than likely the warranty date was filled in later (common).

my friend purchased a P serial day date only a few years ago... from the AD. he managed to get it at a good price + one free service at RSC + 2 year warranty instead of the listed one year for older models.
    “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

Comment

Counting the number of letters/digits might be suffice to determine if it is the new Random Numeric/Letter series number instead of the older pattern of series number.

The new Random Letter-Numeric series number have 8 Digits/Letters all together instead of the 7 Letter-Numeric which was used before. IMHO.

Comment

yes u are right. AN series consist of 8 different combination from 0-9 follow by A-Z for each individual number out of the 8. so in total there can be up to million of combination. just like our home telephone no which use to have 7 digit then later on to the 8digit. if rolex use number instead of alphate, then in 10 years time, the chapter ring will be cover in numbers w/o the rolex engraves

Comment

With 8-digit serial, each place of digit can be any number out of 36 possibilities (A-Z and 0-9) and allowing repeated number, the number of possible combination is about 2.81 trillion. Much much more than enough to assign to every human beings on this earth.

Comment

thanks for the clarification and knowledge guys!

reason i asked is because from my rolex has its serial number start with K and the rest all numbers.. thought its a fake because its a 116610LN, dont think this model is out in 2001.. hahaha!
            Currently Own
            Rolex Submariner Ceramic 116610LN - May 2014

Comment

Originally posted by mastermind1997 View Post
              if rolex use number instead of alphate, then in 10 years time, the chapter ring will be cover in numbers w/o the rolex engraves
              This is so tongue-in-cheek funny yet so true LOL..

But with the introduction of the AN series, it has in a way, become impossible for collectors to "date" a piece, although all the dating of the series numbers thus far were based on 'guesstimate'... still the latter give a good guide to the period of a piece.

Comment

Originally posted by aisheng View Post
                thanks for the clarification and knowledge guys!

reason i asked is because from my rolex has its serial number start with K and the rest all numbers.. thought its a fake because its a 116610LN, dont think this model is out in 2001.. hahaha!
                Whilst doing a bit of research into 116710LN (GMT Master II aka The Green GMT Hand), I have seen a reputable overseas dealer posting one for sales, and the serial number is U87x ! I was shock too back then but later realized that the "culprit" could be the AN numbering. "U" series is way too early for the 116710LN.

So yours is the second one I have come across...

Comment

Originally posted by taxico View Post
                  case serial numbers are generally used to date case manufacture date, not date that the watch left switzerland or the date that it was sold.

it's entirely possible to have a watch with a much "older" case serial that was sold recently - this is usually for expensive models (common) OR perhaps an inventory "oversight" (uncommon).

so if you are looking at a common steel or two-tone rolex watch... it's more than likely the warranty date was filled in later (common).

my friend purchased a P serial day date only a few years ago... from the AD. he managed to get it at a good price + one free service at RSC + 2 year warranty instead of the listed one year for older models.
                  Hi bro taxico, thanks for the useful knowledge. I was looking at a preown and it comes with a receipt showing it was purchased from local AD in 2013, yet it is a G series. So on a side note, will this affect the resales value in future especially after the warranty period is over? Eg buyers will recognise this as a G series even though it was purchased in 2013.
                  Daytona Everose Chocolate Dial
                  GMT-Master II Black and Blue Ceramic Bezel
                  Tag Heuer Kirium Series Black Dial

Comment

Originally posted by Qevyn View Post
                    Hi bro taxico, thanks for the useful knowledge. I was looking at a preown and it comes with a receipt showing it was purchased from local AD in 2013, yet it is a G series. So on a side note, will this affect the resales value in future especially after the warranty period is over? Eg buyers will recognise this as a G series even though it was purchased in 2013.
                    I don't think it would affect the value (at this point in time) unless there are dial variant between the "AN" and "G" that some collectors may look at in the future. Condition is key now..

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X