Rolex for dad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rolex for dad

Aiming to get a retirement present for him probably a couple of years from now. Haven't really worked for v long can't really spend very much, probably cannot get brand new from AD, budget $5k like that. But want to get one for him cos he deserves one.

Which model to aim for? I don't think he will like the sporty looking ones such as Daytona or anything with a bezel (means no Sub etc).

Originally posted by adamsmith View Post
    Aiming to get a retirement present for him probably a couple of years from now. Haven't really worked for v long can't really spend very much, probably cannot get brand new from AD, budget $5k like that. But want to get one for him cos he deserves one.

Which model to aim for? I don't think he will like the sporty looking ones such as Daytona or anything with a bezel (means no Sub etc).
    Always a heart-warming thought. Yup, your dad deserves only the best (as in, as much as you can afford - it is the thought that counts.)

Would suggest a 'regular' date-just (the one with the 'fluted' bezel). I personally like the grey dial, but not sure whether the older models have such a dial.

Another option, if I can call that, is an Oysterquartz. It is definitely below your original budget. A well-maintained piece should have the 'prestige' and 'allure' of an automatic Rolex, but would be easier to upkeep so far as I know.

Comment

datejust lor

Comment

Datejust will fit your budget and good for him if he do not like sport ones.

Comment

5K can get nice nice SS datejust or even halfgold 16233 without diamond dial
          best is to show bring ur dad to see or show him the picture first before you purchase just in case....

Comment

You still got a couple of years from now, aim for the " Day/Date ".

///// ///// ///// ///// /////

Comment

How about a Head only gold 18038......may have to stretch it a little.....P.

Comment

a used newer explorer model 114270 cost less than 5k

Comment

You know your dad watch preferences?
                  New from AD or from grey dealers (overseas AD)
                  Watch size? (> or < 40mm)
                  Shape of watch?
                  Color of dial? (watch face black white grey pearl)
                  Material of watch? (Gold or steel)

With these info you can quite shrink your area of search.

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

Yup..the Explorer 1 remains a compelling choice. I like datejust, very classic Rolex.

Comment

i can't see the point in getting an explorer 1 because IMO men from the older generation prefer a watch with date because of the cyclops.

i gave my dad a datejust - it wasn't the newest and the most expensive but he liked it A LOT (my mom told me). i contemplated giving him an explorer but in all honesty, the date is quite useful and they won't care it's not a "sport" rolex.

it's the thought that counts. i wouldn't let "pre-owned" get in the way of gift giving.

if you buy pre-owned, make sure it's fully serviced (hopefully at RSC - read my cautionary tale in another thread) before you give it to him so he can wear it for a long long time...

if the price is right, a tired (all steel) jubilee bracelet can always be refurbished for ~$150.
                      “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

Comment

How old is your dad? 58? 63?

Classic Datejust 16233 ah pek watch two-tone (gold and steel) with champagne gold dial and stick markers.

If dun like two-tone, then just get a 16234 steel with silver or black or white dial with sticks.

Fluted gold bezel, jubilee bracelet, classic Rolex, cannot go wrong.

Also remember to service the watch at Rolex Centre or a watch technician that you trust.

Comment

datejust is better for dad.

Esp it comes from you, he will love it no matter what model u give.

Comment

I recently bought a new Explorer 2 white dial for my dad........
                            Haven't given it to him though.... hope he'll like it.... Going to give him today.
                            Reason i chose explorer 2,
                            1) my dad is fat..... hahahaha.... so i find the smaller rolexes a bit too small for him.... He's currently wearing a 20 yo tissot quartz thats prob a 38-39mm.....
                            2) He travels a lot, so i thought the 2nd time zone will be useful
                            3) its not too flashy/bling bling cos i think most dads during that generation don't like things that are too loud.
                            4) I love the explorer 2......... touch wood but eventually, i suppose he'll pass it back to me when he goes to a better place

Our parents deserve the best from us. My dad really sacrificed a lot for me to have a good education and ultimately be successful now. Without him, i'll never be where I am. So now that I can afford, I'm pampering him......
                            Current watches
                            - Tag Heuer Carerra Chrono
                            - Sinn U1
                            - B&R 03 Radar
                            - B&R 01 Red Radar Limited Edition 999
                            - PAM 111
                            - Steinhart Nav B-Uhr Pink gold
                            - Rolex Explorer 2 (white)

Comment

Originally posted by kenloh63 View Post
                              I recently bought a new Explorer 2 white dial for my dad........
                              Haven't given it to him though.... hope he'll like it.... Going to give him today.
                              Reason i chose explorer 2,
                              1) my dad is fat..... hahahaha.... so i find the smaller rolexes a bit too small for him.... He's currently wearing a 20 yo tissot quartz thats prob a 38-39mm.....
                              2) He travels a lot, so i thought the 2nd time zone will be useful
                              3) its not too flashy/bling bling cos i think most dads during that generation don't like things that are too loud.
                              4) I love the explorer 2......... touch wood but eventually, i suppose he'll pass it back to me when he goes to a better place

Our parents deserve the best from us. My dad really sacrificed a lot for me to have a good education and ultimately be successful now. Without him, i'll never be where I am. So now that I can afford, I'm pampering him......
                              I like what you said in last para. It's true for me too. Anyway, i told myself i won't own a Rolex before my dad does because i accord certain amount of respect for the brand. It's sign of achievement for him. For me i will just be seen as frivolous. For now. haha.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X