Advisory : Authentication Rolex Watches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by sochaux View Post
    Hi. It's been 4 yrs since this post. Are there any changes to the procedures for authentication? I have an old Rolex. It has a black face and a silver strap. It no longer runs and I would like to get it back to its working condition.

Should/Can I proceed to the Rolex centre with the watch even without the receipt? If the authentication comes out alright and if the servicing charges are not affordable, where can I head to? The members seem divided on which shop(s) to go to. I've gone through numerous posts in this forum as a Guest and finally decided to register to post my queries here.

Any advice?
    Of course you can proceed to the ROLEX Service Centre (RSC) to get your watch checked even without a receipt. I believe there should be slight changes on the verification process but it is best to call the RSC to find out what is the latest.

As for where your alternative may be for service and repair, it is really up to you. There are some references you can check up on in this forum. The more common recommendations I see are JW Watch and Top Hour.

Good luck
    The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

• Originally posted by Oceanklassik View Post

As for where your alternative may be for service and repair, it is really up to you. There are some references you can check up on in this forum. The more common recommendations I see are JW Watch and Top Hour.

Good luck
      hi there. thank you for your reply. my major concern undoubtedly has to be if the parts of the watch are replaced with fakes, should i head to places other than the official service centre. This is not to say that these things do occur but i want to be on the safe side.

i'l be heading down to the service centre next week. will chart the progress of the rectification of the watch as well as how the authentication process goes.

stay tuned.
      p.s: i'll be updating here on behalf of all the lurkers, whoever you may be.

Comment

• Heh, tx in advance! Looking forward
        The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

• Hi,
          I m also newbie..your most welcome to this community. Hope you will stay over here for long time with us...... Cheers!

Comment

• Thanks for sharing the info

Comment

• Question: does the verification process include the bracelet as well. In short does check include all the internals+externals of the watch?
              Also, has anyone done polishing at RSC before? can advise the costs? thanks.

Comment

• Update as promised!

Originally posted by sochaux View Post

i'l be heading down to the service centre next week. will chart the progress of the rectification of the watch as well as how the authentication process goes.

stay tuned.
                p.s: i'll be updating here on behalf of all the lurkers, whoever you may be.
                Originally posted by Oceanklassik View Post
                Heh, tx in advance! Looking forward
                Originally posted by danRoss View Post
                Hi,
                I m also newbie..your most welcome to this community. Hope you will stay over here for long time with us...... Cheers!
                Originally posted by tamo View Post
                Thanks for sharing the info
                Dear members. Firstly, allow me to thank Oceanklassic, Triton, Seiko.citizen, Kel-C & Jieming for all the advice they have dispensed via PM. Considering the fact that I'm a newbie, they replied to my queries promptly without any fuss.

I went down to the service centre (302 Orchard Rd, Tong Building) two days ago @ 1030hrs. I received a few sniggers and stares there, from the guard and even from a technician dressed in a white lab coat. The design of the technicians workstation is such that it faces the direction of the entrance, reception and seating area. There are no walls but only tall see-through glasses/windows.

But hey, no sweat. I presented the watch, requested for a quotation to restore the timepiece, handed it over and was told to come back by 1pm or earlier, should I receive a call from them.

As mentioned in the above paragraph, the guard (either a Aetos or Certis Cisco personnel) clocks the number of visitors to the service centre by clicking on a small device. Perhaps an irrelevant point but nonetheless, it intrigued me.

I left & returned at 1245 hrs. I made myself comfortable at the seating area and waited for my name to be called. A very 'atas' yet elegant, mature chinese lady served me and advised that I should not restore the Oysterdate Precision as the quotation given, was over $5000 dollars inclusive of a new bracelet.

Do take note that I do not want the bracelet replaced but anyhow, the remaining cost would amount to $4300. She added that it would be better if I bought the similar watch elsewhere. It must be emphasised that in no way did she explicitly say that I should buy a pre-owned watch but I understood her point perfectly. By paying $4300, I could purchase two such pre-owned watches elsewhere.

She was very professional and straight-to-the point, which was something I truly am grateful for. She told me to consider carefully on whethere to proceed with the servicing, before she took her leave to consume her lunch. Therefore I couldn't get her name and to a certain extent, am regretful for not having done so. Her other staff was instructed to collect the $107 for the service charge inclusive of 3% GST i.e $7.

Upon payment, they handed me a green coloured receipt which is the receipt for the $107 in addition to the white coloured quotation. They gave me a green Rolex pouch to keep the watch. With a heavy heart, I left the building.

The breakdown of the service charges are the following:
                Complete overhaul : $915
                Other non-included components : $636
                Bezel Replacement : $179
                Case Middle Part Replacement : $1772
                Case Back Replacement : $179
                Dial Replacement : $625
                Bracelet Replacement : $1,280

Grand Total : $5,589

Before I signed up as a member here, I pratically visited this forum for at least 2 straight weeks for about 6 hours everyday, going through numerous threads and posts. Fast-forward, I would like to seek alternative repair shops that can restore this watch to its normal working condition.

It would be great if members could suggest/recommend these shops here so that current and future readers of this thread will have the information ready at hand to proceed with the necessary action. In addition to the name of the shop, it would be beneficial if members could input the name of the personnel, location, website (if there is one) and perhaps their prior experience(s) with this person.

Thanks.

Comment

• Last time RSC used to provide FOC quotation if you specifically asked for one. Now, even if you did not ask for verification but just quotation, they will charge you $107. Loop hole closed because too many people using it. ;(

Anyway, regarding verification, I humbly suggest no other place than RSC for a peace of mind.

Here are some excerpt from 3rd party watchmaker regarding verification...

Top Hour :

I asked for verification, specifically the crystal authenticity....he answered :" Crystal i not confident, later say wrong paiseh, no machine here." Hello, u ex-rolex man right? crystal u not confident??? then why do authentification in the first place?

Watch Concept:

" We don't do verification unless u send the whole watch in for service"...lol

Chinatown:
                  "I think no need to open the case la, sure original one.."

I have given up on 3rd party half past six watchmakers. They do not have Rolex tools and some have half baked Rolex knowledge. IMO. If u leave your watch with them, u take the risks. Simple as that.

YMMV.

goodluck!

Comment

• Originally posted by chanwk View Post
                    Sent my watch to RSC for verification today. Was surprised all they provide is a tax invoice that only states "service charge.... $100". IMO they should at least state "watch verified authentic" or something like that.
                    WHat if someone walks out and then straight away swap a recon dial in? RSC not gonna cover that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zhi_Peng View Post
                      I think TH and RSC are doing the same check and one is S$30 and one is S$107.. Easy money....
                      Yes, could be doing the same thing, but then confirmation from RSC between buyers and sellers is the gold standard before any sale can go through. If you are the buyer, whose word would you take? RSC or a third party examiner? WOuld the seller let a 3rd party open the case? How do u know seller and 3rd party are not conspired to say all is original?

for a total peace of mind, what's 107-30=77 bucks?

Comment

• Bring the watch (if new) for bracelet resize at RSC. They will do it if the watch is authentic.

Comment

• Originally posted by polarinda View Post
                          Last time RSC used to provide FOC quotation if you specifically asked for one. Now, even if you did not ask for verification but just quotation, they will charge you $107. Loop hole closed because too many people using it. ;(

Anyway, regarding verification, I humbly suggest no other place than RSC for a peace of mind.
                          I've just gone through the process and I'm pretty pleased with my having gone down to the official Centre for the quotation.

Originally posted by polarinda View Post
                          WHat if someone walks out and then straight away swap a recon dial in? RSC not gonna cover that.
                          If the watch or any parts are fitted with duplicates, they would tell you so over the counter itself upon inspection. The timepiece I brought in was all original apart from the replaced bracelet.

Originally posted by polarinda View Post
                          Yes, could be doing the same thing, but then confirmation from RSC between buyers and sellers is the gold standard before any sale can go through. If you are the buyer, whose word would you take? RSC or a third party examiner? WOuld the seller let a 3rd party open the case? How do u know seller and 3rd party are not conspired to say all is original?

for a total peace of mind, what's 107-30=77 bucks?
                          For those who are not in the know, I'm doing this restoration for someone else. Not for myself. This is simply because Rolex is out of my league at the moment. However in my opinion, if an individual purhases a Rolex for himself, he jolly well have the money to not only splurge on the watch but also factor in the repair and service costs.

I may save up to buy a timepiece for myself but in the longrun, sustaining the fees due to religious maintenance might very well be a killer. I don't mind waiting till I settle the majority of my other matters before I finally purchase a Rolex.

Going back to my initial query, are there any reliable technicians out there that possess the expertise to restore a non-working Rolex to its working condition? I'm keen on getting a quote from them on the charges.

Someone, anyone?

Comment

• Exactly 10 days since my last post and no reply. Hey, no sweat!

I took cab the other day and caught sight of the driver's 6694.
                            He purchased it for about $200 in the 70s.

I discussed my 'problem' with him and he told me not to risk it by patronising any other shop apart from the official Rolex Centre.
                            He did have his fair share of horror stories and was pretty emphatic on his standpoint.

He did let in on the fact that Chinatown has several shops that do carry the 6694s'.
                            So those who are genuinely interested in getting a 6694 for yourself, just do a walkabout around the area.
                            You may never know what you may uncover along the way.

Good luck!

Comment

• Originally posted by crs69 View Post
                              Bring the watch (if new) for bracelet resize at RSC. They will do it if the watch is authentic.
                              If bring Rolex watch to RSC, do they charge for resize?

Comment

• No.
                                The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X