How do you know?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you know?

Hi all, just curious and interested to know how do you know if u have over wind your rolex?as i believe over winding it will damage the gears

generally a 30 full turn should suffice for automatic watch. as automatic watch have a 'slipping clutch' to prevent winding.

for manual wind rolex, have to proceed with care, generally you turn until you feel tension, the resistance to wind will get harder, this is an indication that it is almost fully wound.
    if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
    1. subject heading indicating your issue
    2. your nick
    3. your corresponding email address
    4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

thk dudes, u ppl are really gurus!

Comment

dear guru nim,

you forgot to mention your information was lifted directly from...

http://www.watchwinderstore.com/watch/winders.htm

Originally posted by nim
        ...automatic movement are manufactured with a slipping clutch mechanism that would dis-engage the winding mechanism once the mainspring is fully wound up. Thus, over-winding should not be a concern. But "over-stressing" should be considered when choosing a winder to wind up your watch, in particular when you use a "watch-spinner"

In layman's term, over-stress is a result of placing an automatic watch in a winder that winds the watch non-stop, without any rest period in between. With this non-stop process, stress eventually build up. Like any other mechanical parts, over-stress could eventually shorten the useful life of the moving mechanism of a watch.
        to the TS:

the design of the mainspring and bridle in automatic watches is such that it cannot be over-wound UNLESS something is going wrong inside the barrel.

hand winding will have some wear and tear on the crown/stem/tube but this is not a problem if your watch is serviced from time to time. you just need to remember to not damage the tube/crown by stripping the threads and to screw back the crown after winding.

some people HAVE to manually wind their automatic watches because they don't lead very active lives or if the winding system is old/unserviced and thus inefficient.

back to guru nim:

the stress placed on the non-jeweled arbor(older cal)/axle/winding system as copied and pasted above by our esteemed guru is only a problem when you use a winder on the inappropriate setting/cheap winder that cannot be adjusted.

this is especially a problem for rolex watches as they (most models anyway) do not have axle ball bearings and/or it has an incorrectly sized jib in place (either due to wear or not replaced with a correct one by a non RSC watch maker) which will cause even more stress when placed on a winder...

and of course, this depends on which rolex watch you are putting on the winder - the 15xx, 30xx, 31xx or 41xx

but nim already knew that and just didn't bother typing it out for you.
        “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

Comment

No, I supposed over wind a mechanical manual winding model will break the mainspring.

Originally posted by jflye View Post
          Hi all, just curious and interested to know how do you know if u have over wind your rolex?as i believe over winding it will damage the gears

Comment

Originally posted by nim
            overwinding a mechanical watch damage the movement?
            manual - yes
            auto - no , due to slipping clutch mechanism that would dis-engage the winding mechanism once the mainspring is fully
            wound up
            incorrect.
            “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

Comment

Nice to have you back, Dr. I thought you were too depressed and quit the forum liao.
              Watches are like potato chips - You never stop at one

Never political, seldom diplomatic, always honest

Comment

You are incorrect as pointed out earlier.

Over winding manual watch will damage movement does not apply to all manual movement.
                Audemars Piguet Ball Bell&Ross Cartier IWC Longines Omega Panerai Rolex Sinn Tissot

Alba Casio Citizen Roox Seiko

Wanted to add PP but bo lui

Comment

I recall winding my friend Chopard 8 days.(manual wind)

It endless winding(if my memory still good).

Watches knowledge is endless.

I still learning.

知者不答,答者不知.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X