Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spotting on vintage dials

Hi Guys,

Was wondering if any of u guys have ever encountered spotting on vintage dials ? I had a 5513 non matt dial (mark 2) which was kept in the safe for a while, however i noticed that after a while, the dial began spotting which is a bummer. I am still in love with vintage models and am planning to acquire more . Any of you guys know how to prevent spotting while in storage ? Share your thoughts ? Thanks

PS i also store my wacthes with the anti liquid dessicate crystal packages

an oyster case is quite air tight. singapore has a very high humidity level (my office has 73% humidity with constant a/c).

if your watch was opened in a humid environment and then recased/closed up again, then there will be some humidity "trapped" inside. in the hands of an unknowing or untrained watch maker, excess oils and marker pen inks will also give off gas which may harm dials.

i usually keep my unused watches with the crown unscrewed and inside a low RH drybox/safe deposit box centre. i don't bother keeping them in my safe because it's not a good place for vintage watches.

vintage dials may have pre-existing moisture damage the dials not very visible to the eye, especially on sport dive watches, and may thus worsen in certain environments.

the silica gel packs are not useful unless your oyster watch is "breathing" in an (almost) air tight can/tube/bag. cheap gel packs also need to be dried out (again, in an electric dry box) or replaced regularly - don't rely on the color indicators.
    “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
    Working...
    X