Nav Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse

Nav Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any damage or drop in price once polishing of half gold bracelet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any damage or drop in price once polishing of half gold bracelet?

Hi all old senior members,

Just a check whether is it advisable to polish off some hairline scratches of a half gold bracelet?

In a way that they "grind off" your gold and your watch has "lesser gold" and becomes lighter?

I am thinking whether to proceed in the future after wearing for some time.

Will the watch value drop due to polishing?

Kum sia for your advise rendered!

the drop in price happens from the moment you strap it on and walk out of the workshop. Polishing does grind away metal; but how much metal is grinded away is negligible. To some people; they would rather a slightly scratched timepiece than one that was religiously polished.

End of the day; it depends on who you are selling it too!
    [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
    [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
    Blue 6694
    Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
    [U]"My collection"[/U]:
    [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by Speedmaster1979 View Post
      I am thinking whether to proceed in the future after wearing for some time.
      don't bother polishing it. if you want to do so, do it JUST before selling so the links look nice and good - make sure you go to a reputed place. but i recommend not doing so and if the situation permits, allow the buyer to choose if he/she wants a polish.

unless the price is right, i won't buy a polished watch (TT or not).
      “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

Comment

Originally posted by taxico View Post
        ...but i recommend not doing so and if the situation permits, allow the buyer to choose if he/she wants a polish.

unless the price is right, i won't buy a polished watch (TT or not).
        and i thought i was the only one who thought like that. seems not.

even when buying preowned pieces, i prefer lightly polished, rather than those watches, where they are polished to hell!
        Blue 6694
        [U]"My collection"[/U]:

Comment

Originally posted by seiko.citizen View Post
          the drop in price happens from the moment you strap it on and walk out of the workshop. Polishing does grind away metal; but how much metal is grinded away is negligible. To some people; they would rather a slightly scratched timepiece than one that was religiously polished.

End of the day; it depends on who you are selling it too!
          Hi bro,good advice and I expect your reply to tally with my thoughts.

That is why still thinking hard and sometimes I also think, why buy such expensive watch and have to take care of it so much as heart pain when its damage or accidental scratch due to mishandle?

I am still thinking whether can I leave with hairline scratches or not,kekeke!

By the way, what causes hairline scratches,i am also clueless as i always clean my watches with cloth that is for watches but still..................signz!!!

Comment

the oyster bracelet especially TT is very prone to scratches,
            maybe gold is softer ?
            if you see those preown watches that do not have a single scratch
            Either it is polished off before putting on sale
            or the owner never wears it, and this defeat the purpose of buying it
            buy and then keep in box and safe ?
            this is self torture

Comment

gold is softer than stainless steel, to be fair, gold is also easier to polish.
              Blue 6694
              [U]"My collection"[/U]:

Comment

Originally posted by Speedmaster1979 View Post
                By the way, what causes hairline scratches,i am also clueless as i always clean my watches with cloth that is for watches but still..................signz!!!
                if you mean hairline scratches on the polished parts of the watch... then it's normal. polished surfaces shows these scratches far easier than a brushed surface.

you are the cause of the hairline scratches - if you don't want them to appear you'll just have to stop wearing your watch and keep it safely packed! : )

btw, i didn't know they made cloth for watches... i think if i had to use something, i would use the cloth meant for lcd screens...!
                “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

Comment

microfibre cloth is best. i get them by the box from my optometrist, so i have them littered all over the house, even to rest my iphone on the bedstand
                  Blue 6694
                  [U]"My collection"[/U]:

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X