Nav Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse

Nav Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No confidence buying 2nd hand after what I saw??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No confidence buying 2nd hand after what I saw??

Went to Chinatown to browse some 2nd hand rolex..
    First shop I went to, I saw a young girl at the counter with a rolex, stripped open... dunno for what reason tho...

Is it normal for these kind of shops to be performing such tasks in the open? Are they even trained or qualified to even open the watch and put them back in order?

Still on the topic of having the watch open, I was wondering if it is a normal practise by shops or even rolex center to have a pressure testing done to certify that the watch has been closed back properly?

2nd shop I went to, after some see see look look, i notice some of the female watches do not have the work "oyster perpetual" nor the "superlative chrono.." on the dial.

When I asked, the girl at the counter said, oh, they dont write this on the computer faced designed. I doubt it is true because I did see some computer faces there with the words in the dial... She also said all rolex are "oyster perpetual". But when I asked her what is the meaning, she could not answer me...

I totally lost confidence buying from these shops despite they are quite highly recommended in the forums.

I am wondering if my worries are valid or am I just being paranoid?
    Any seniors can reccomed some shops that carry many ladies rolex?

Originally posted by peas View Post
    First shop I went to, I saw a young girl at the counter with a rolex, stripped open... dunno for what reason tho...

Is it normal for these kind of shops to be performing such tasks in the open? Are they even trained or qualified to even open the watch and put them back in order?

Still on the topic of having the watch open, I was wondering if it is a normal practise by shops or even rolex center to have a pressure testing done to certify that the watch has been closed back properly?

2nd shop I went to, after some see see look look, i notice some of the female watches do not have the work "oyster perpetual" nor the "superlative chrono.." on the dial.

When I asked, the girl at the counter said, oh, they dont write this on the computer faced designed. I doubt it is true because I did see some computer faces there with the words in the dial... She also said all rolex are "oyster perpetual". But when I asked her what is the meaning, she could not answer me...

I totally lost confidence buying from these shops despite they are quite highly recommended in the forums.

You don't have to be trained to open up the watches, just need the tools and the right technique. Of course if anything happen, you drop it or spoil it...you bear the responsibility.

Bro, err if I am not wrong all of the computer faces do not havethe words except for Rolex and Datejust/Daydate.

Correct that all(Almost) are oyster perpetual. All using the Oyster casing and perpetual means it's automatic, because it runs "forever or perpetually)

Yes are you being alittle paranoid to be frank bro. Chill!

Sometimes forgotten, but always contactable. Darkangel (2007-2014)

Comment

you mean the girl stripped open? or the girl open the case back of a rolex watch?

they open case back is for you to see, hopefully to give a vote of confidence.

please advise which shop you went to, full name is not required. building name such as people's park complex. initial of the shop name such as txx or something where each x indicates a letter. most seniors here will be able to decipher, if cannot decipher, will pm you.

i dont recall this forum highly recommending any preown shop selling rolex @ people's park.

if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
      1. subject heading indicating your issue
      2. your nick
      3. your corresponding email address
      4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

It's always a debatable discussions. If you prefer brand new, prepare to pay more. If you want to save cost then you have to take some risks. Buying BN from AD is surely genuine while getting it from such shops, it's better to send for verification thereafter, regardless how good the second hand shop's reputation.

Comment

I'd say that used shops in Singapore are generally reliable. What may not be so reliable is the staff knowledge, it is especially disheartening to know that staff in shops specializing in selling Rolex don't know what "Oyster Perpetual" means. This also means that very little product knowledge training is provided.
          If only some shops would employ some of us here to provide the training, haha! That'll be a great part-time job for Darkie and Triton!
          Sweet 16:
          PP Aquanaut
          VC Overseas
          AP ROO Black Themes
          A.Lange & Sohne 1815
          Breguet Type XXI
          Blancpain 50 Fathoms
          JLC Navy Seals
          GO Senator 60s
          GP Laureato
          Zenith Pilot Extra Special
          Rolex DSSD
          IWC Big Pilot
          Pam 112
          Omega Ploprof
          Breitling Super Avenger
          Glycine F104

Comment

actually, both of us are undergoing training in some of these shops. why?

this is because there is always so much more to learn. i still find myself still learning more and more about 6694. every once in awhile, there is always something new that pops out that captures your attention.

take for example, some of the our members here who i know better are very into vintages. sometimes talking to them, i also lost in outer space. then there are some members who are very into movements, sometimes hear them talk, it feels like im in milky way. then there are those who are into modern pieces. compared to them, i know so little.

as always, i always like the members here who are willing to share and guide everyone else along. every member contributes in one way or another. it is the love of watches that keeps this forum going and growing.

Originally posted by toffeesthings View Post
            If only some shops would employ some of us here to provide the training, haha! That'll be a great part-time job for Darkie and Triton!
            if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
            1. subject heading indicating your issue
            2. your nick
            3. your corresponding email address
            4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

thanks very much for sharing your knowledge.

anyone can advise about the pressure testing part?
              my understanding is that without correct torque when tightening something, either the thread will be damaged or water tightness cannot be achieve properly.

pressure testing is a method to verify the oyster is still an oyster after it has been opened. Gives the peace of mind when stuck in a heavy downpour..

Comment

thanks very much for sharing your knowledge.

my understanding is that without correct torque when tightening something, either the thread will be damaged or water tightness cannot be achieve properly.

pressure testing is a method to verify the oyster is still an oyster after it has been opened. Gives the peace of mind when stuck in a heavy downpour..

Comment

pressure testing is a method to verify the oyster is still an oyster after it has been opened.
                  i assume the oyster openers in RSC comes with a built-in or pre-set torque setting (like an adjustable torque wrench). i honestly have no clue how "tight" or "loose" i should be closing my watches - i use the older propeller style rolex oyster openers and just tighten them until i feel happy.

BUT... i usually mark the case before i open it and unless it's a really old watch with lousy o rings, i will tighten it to the same spot, or a spot near the mark.

because i am on good terms with a dive shop, i am able to do my pressure testing with their test bench at their workshop. they have both wet and dry test chambers. wet as in, watch immersed into water... not a drop/strip wet (condensation) testing that many watch shops carry out to test for water resistance.

so if your watch is not sealed properly, water will flood the watch during a wet chamber test.

i usually test my dive watches to 100m and my dress watches to 50m. first in a dry chamber, then in a wet chamber. i've never had a problem even when i open and close the oyster cases myself to change the gasket (i usually also change the gaskets on the tube and crown at the same time).

i understand that rolex pressure chambers are different from the ones used in the diving industry - but IIRC they are wet chambers but much smaller (multiple small chambers).

your oyster may be water proof to 300m, but an old crown o-ring + untighten crown is enough for water ingress...
                  “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

Comment

you mean the girl stripped open? or the girl open the case back of a rolex watch?

please advise which shop you went to, full name is not required. building name such as people's park complex. initial of the shop name such as txx or something where each x indicates a letter. most seniors here will be able to decipher, if cannot decipher, will pm you.

i dont recall this forum highly recommending any preown shop selling rolex @

Brother triton, dun fantasize too much. hehe.. Peas, do u mean theat girl was trying to dismantle the stripe?

Comment

Originally posted by watch passion View Post

i dont recall this forum highly recommending any preown shop selling rolex @

Brother triton, dun fantasize too much. hehe.. Peas, do u mean theat girl was trying to dismantle the stripe?
                      Bro.......... chinatown ppl's park centre 3rd floor, back rows of massage parlour is goat's head dog meat , strip open totally i mean dress not watch..... centre portion one's are ok real genuine massage....
                      [IMG]http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/o590/photosnphotos/rolex-submariner-116619lb-021.jpg[/IMG]
                      [IMG]http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/o590/photosnphotos/Rolex-Black-Dial-Daytona-116520.jpg[/IMG]
                      [IMG]http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/o590/photosnphotos/Originals_23.jpg[/IMG]
                      [IMG]http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/o590/photosnphotos/IMG_0491.jpg[/IMG]

Comment

No confidence in buying second hand rolex

Hello watchpassionist, see where is the upper passage originated from. I just do copy n paste only. As for what you mentioned, I have no interest in 'ta lu mei'.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X