Nav Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse

Nav Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why the Divers wear leather strapped luminor watch (i.e. Panerai radiomir, 1950)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why the Divers wear leather strapped luminor watch (i.e. Panerai radiomir, 1950)

Hi All,

This question had been on my mind for quite a while & like bring it up:-
    For panerai brand, they had been promoting (& known to us all through the advertisements, read ups, etc) that those navy watches that they made for the italian army are leather strapped.

My question is why leather strap? when soldier will sweat & divers will soak the watches in sea water. the era of year 1950-1960 rubber strap not invented yet? or cloth NATO strap?

i'm not familiar with the brand beyond the few vintage pieces associated with rolex...

do you mean that panerai currently makes watches for the italian army and supplies them on leather strap? or do you mean they do that in the past? (i assume you mean the latter)

perhaps rubber in the past were not as durable as leather. leather wares have been around for centuries... kodiak leather can withstand water immersion for days on end with no problems after drying.

as for cloth - perhaps leather did a better job due to its natural thickness and durability over cloth... although i can't imagine the smell after a few months of combat!
    “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

Comment

smell would be the least of anybody's concern in any combat situation.

think rubber was the first non food rationed item during the war and with odd pieces of old leather you can make you own straps.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
      Working...
      X