Nav Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse

Nav Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I get a Preowned YM midsize Half Gold or Platinum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I get a Preowned YM midsize Half Gold or Platinum?

Hi all Bros and Sis,

I was offered the above as follows:

1) Half Gold - $6400 (w/o cert and box)

2) Platinum - $7200 (w cert and box)

Understand the current market price for new YM is higher for the half gold. But the second hand watch dealer advised me to get the platinum as it is more scratch resistence and have a higher resale value.

Which would be a better buy in your opionion? Would a half gold looks a bit "Ah Pek" for me in my mid thirties? And is the cert really important given the huge price difference? Both watch is about the same age with the new movement.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Originally posted by RedDevils View Post
    Hi all Bros and Sis,

I was offered the above as follows:

1) Half Gold - $6400 (w/o cert and box)

2) Platinum - $7200 (w cert and box)

Understand the current market price for new YM is higher for the half gold. But the second hand watch dealer advised me to get the platinum as it is more scratch resistence and have a higher resale value.

Which would be a better buy in your opionion? Would a half gold looks a bit "Ah Pek" for me in my mid thirties? And is the cert really important given the huge price difference? Both watch is about the same age with the new movement.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
    Well if you find half gold not suitable for you I advise don't go for the half gold then. I like the plat 1 too Haha..

I think what matters to me is not the cert...I dun give a damn about the cert once it's expired...box is wad that matters coz it's a ROLEX BOX hehe

I think a few things first you have to consider. 1 is does box and cert matter to you? That's more impt not the resale value coz it doesnt affect much. 2 is your budget,3 is ur liking.

That's all I think I have to say

Sometimes forgotten, but always contactable. Darkangel (2007-2014)

Comment

Originally posted by Darkangel View Post
      Well if you find half gold not suitable for you I advise don't go for the half gold then. I like the plat 1 too Haha..

I think what matters to me is not the cert...I dun give a damn about the cert once it's expired...box is wad that matters coz it's a ROLEX BOX hehe

I think a few things first you have to consider. 1 is does box and cert matter to you? That's more impt not the resale value coz it doesnt affect much. 2 is your budget,3 is ur liking.

That's all I think I have to say
      Thanks Darkangel.

The prob is I have a Tag Kirium and it looks a bit like the YM Plat. My wifey is complaining a rolex w/o half gold does not looks like a Rolex :P.

And I understand the plat is actually not a pure platinum as it is made of rolesium or something like that.

A price diff of ard $800 bucks is really tempting for me to forgo the cert and box.

Rgds

Comment

Originally posted by RedDevils View Post
        Thanks Darkangel.

The prob is I have a Tag Kirium and it looks a bit like the YM Plat. My wifey is complaining a rolex w/o half gold does not looks like a Rolex :P.

And I understand the plat is actually not a pure platinum as it is made of rolesium or something like that.

A price diff of ard $800 bucks is really tempting for me to forgo the cert and box.

Rgds
        Ok I think I get where you are coming from though. First... Let's not take the Tag that looks like ur YM into consideration. I believe that's not impt now.

I think a few more things to take note here...

1) If you want to keep low profile,maybe get the plat model,since normal people cant really tell. Half gold will definitely get more attention and questions,so you think for urself what you want.

2) For the platinum part. Rolesium is NOT a metal or wadsoever. It's just a NAME which Rolex calls for models which are Stainless steel and Plat,which in this case ONLY applies to YM for the time being. Another example is Rolesor...it's by right the correct term for what people call Half gold or 2 tone.

For the purity part...I m not too sure because I think if it's 99.9% plat it might be soft... Coz I am not sure about Plat,I know gold has 18k,22k,24k, etc but never heard much about plat.

This might have to wait for others to reply but for now take it as it's pure plat.

3) Do note...the cert and box is NOT worth $800. I think at the most worth 100-200. But it's the supply and demand that plays the big part. Plat model is more sought after as compared to the half gold model

Comment

Both prices are around the same. Boils down to individual preference at the end of the day. Personally, I would prefer the white gold one to the yellow gold one
          Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today. -James Dean

Comment

Originally posted by minusplus View Post
            Both prices are around the same. Boils down to individual preference at the end of the day. Personally, I would prefer the white gold one to the yellow gold one
            PLAT(note dial and bezel only) the rest of the watch is SS... hehehe sry but had to correct you.

Comment

PLAT(note dial and bezel only) the rest of the watch is SS... hehehe sry but had to correct you.
              oops... yes... platinum not WG.
              Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today. -James Dean

Comment

only because plat isnt good for making the bracelet, due to its strength. to the best of my information. please correct me if wrong
                [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
                [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
                Blue 6694
                Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
                [U]"My collection"[/U]:
                [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

platinium quite hard one leh..but expensive..so can only afford to give u platinium bezel lor..maybe tegimented one..LOL

Comment

Originally posted by seiko.citizen View Post
                    only because plat isnt good for making the bracelet, due to its strength. to the best of my information. please correct me if wrong
                    Wrong in this case. Because there are Datejust/Day-Date models made of solid plat which includes the bracelet of course

Comment

Thanks everyone.

Went to do a further search in the internet regarding Rolesium and it is stated as:

"Rolesium is not a material, but a term coined by Rolex meaning the watch is made from platinum and stainless steel."

Hopes that clears the air.

Rgds

Comment

Personally I will go for Platinum. On the other hand, I will consider of my wife's opinion also. As you said your wife prefers you to get the TT, no point after getting a platinum and your wife keeps saying not nice and it looks like your tag.

Cheerio,

Comment

Originally posted by ^Lee^ View Post
                          Personally I will go for Platinum. On the other hand, I will consider of my wife's opinion also. As you said your wife prefers you to get the TT, no point after getting a platinum and your wife keeps saying not nice and it looks like your tag.

Cheerio,
                          That's exactly my dilemma. Think I will bring her down to see it with me.

Cheers!

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X