Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Moonphase

Hi guys,

Saw a thread on a bro asking on watches on moonphase... So I'm wondering what is an actual moonphase watch?

I've seen some watches with a window showing some stars and moon, which turns to show day and night time of the day. But from my understanding, actual moonphase should be the one showing actual movement of the moon which makes a complete cycle every 30 days or so right? Please correct me if I'm wrong here...

So what is those that I saw with the small window showing the day/night thingy call?

Those with the sun and moon are day and night indicators only, not moonphase watches.

Many of the moonphase watches available are meant for the northern hemisphere while some, like the older IWC Portuguese Perpetual Calendar shows both hemisphere. Check out this review by Harry http://watchinghorology.com/2008/02/...-calendar.html and this youtube video of the PR release by IWC http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00k6sjow_jo

The reason why I mentioned IWC is because they have one of the most accurate moonphase indicator around. The actual cycle of the moon is actually 29 1/2 days, not 30. Check out "Lunar phase" in wikipedia. You can use this online moonphase indicator if you like http://www.watchnetwork.com/moonphase/

Comment

so meaning on the 15th (Chinese calander) of each Lunar month, I should see a full moon on the indicator?
      I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch.........

Comment

i set the moonphase using the lunar calender, so every 15th day of the lunar month, the full moon appears...and every 1st , only the stars and the blue sky...

Comment

Yes

The moonphase indicator should show full moon on the 15th of the Chinese lunar calendar.

Traditionally, a simple moonphase complication is usually accompanied by day and date. It is also essential for perpetual calendars as it will seem incomplete without it. But this is not to say its a must. For example, the Blancpain Leman Tourbillon Perpetual Calendar and the Ulysse Nardin GMT +/- Perpetual Calendar doesn't utilise a moonphase.

Comment

but I tht moon phase is only useful for sailers right? people like us need it for wat? keke
            I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch.........

Comment

Originally posted by cheng View Post
              i set the moonphase using the lunar calender, so every 15th day of the lunar month, the full moon appears...and every 1st , only the stars and the blue sky...
              You are right! I owned one moonphase watch

Comment

Lets see what can it be use for:

1. See moon remind yourself to pray

2. See tide to fish

3. look at rabbit

4. tell people moon is waxing or waning
                Audemars Piguet Ball Bell&Ross Cartier IWC Longines Omega Panerai Rolex Sinn Tissot

Alba Casio Citizen Roox Seiko

Wanted to add PP but bo lui

Comment

look at rabbit?

Comment

I m a sucker for moonphase watches....just love looking at the dial ...

Comment

ya look at watch then say, "hey is full moon today, look at the moon. Did you see a rabbit? Let me tell you a story..."
                      Audemars Piguet Ball Bell&Ross Cartier IWC Longines Omega Panerai Rolex Sinn Tissot

Comment

err...................................

belly cold..................

Comment

Originally posted by exxondus View Post
                          err...................................

belly cold..................

Comment

if u have Revolution Asia no 11, there is an article by Jack Forster on the moonphase.

But in essence, the use of a moonphase has more importance in the past than the present, and that wasn't in wristwatches as yet. The moon holds strong astronomical importance in the past, like when to plant crops, when Easter is coming, the equinox etc etc.

So the importance was in astronomy, agriculture, religion (pagan or not) and of course, in prophesies.

Off hand, the only other recent (as well as past) important use of tracking the moonphases is military. For example, during WW2, paratroops rely heavily on a dark night w/o a moon so as to reduce their chances of being shot at from the ground. Bombers also likewise prefer a darkened night to evade night fighters on the prowl. Even in ancient times, troops rely heavily on dark moonless nights to move strategically without being found out by the enemy.

Yes, moonphase watches have little use now excpet on most part being preety to look at. But like I said, its part of tradition in astronomical complication in watches and the challenge is to get the moonphases as accurate as possible.

While man has been able to make perpetual calendars accurate to only change it beyonds one's lifetime, the moonphase needs to be adjusted on a more regular basis. Hence my highlight on the IWC Portuguese Perpetual calendar's more accurate tracking of the moon.

Hope you enjoy this little story telling.

Comment

off hand, you may want to check out these sites for some interesting facts on the moon and its relation to us.
                              http://astronomyonline.org/SolarSyst...Importance.asp
                              http://ezinearticles.com/?Dating-Imp...ogy&id=1122298
                              http://zodiaccat.wordpress.com/2007/...f-moon-phases/
                              http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstrac...629C94639ED7CF

of course, treat some of these with more than a pinch of salt ;-)

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X