Issue with gmt2c crown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Issue with gmt2c crown

since the first day I got my GMT2c about a month ago, I have only wind it twice.

Once on the first day and another time over the weekend just for fun. (Trying to get the time to follow SST).

anyway, noticed some issues with my crown.

1) After unwinding anti-clockwise, the crown does not pop out. I have to move clockwise once before it pops out.

2) Pulling the crown to the different positions is a chore!! its very tight.

3) When setting the minute hand, if I were to wind anti-clockwise and let go after setting the minute hand, the minute hand doesnt stay there and will move a bit.

i.e. Now its at 10minutes. I want to set it to 8 minutes so I wind it anticlockwise (or was it clockwise? ) then once i move backwards to 8 minutes and let go, the minute hand will move forward a bit and doesnt stay at 8. Hence If i wanted to set to 8 by gg backwards, I need to move like 7+ seconds so that it will move to 8 by itself. Gg forwards is of no issue.

Are points 1-3 above normal or its g to be a trip to RSC to claim warranty

Thanks in advance!
    I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch.........

I got no gmt watch so not sure if same. But curious to know one thing; do you turn anti-clockwise to adjust time? I tot ROLEX watches is to turn clockwise?? I am not too sure.
    The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Hi Bro answer to your question - I read in Rolex Forum that this is very normal as the GMTIIc has a safety buffer built in to prevent accidental winding out...

As for the tightness, I think it is due to the seals are very new thus the difficulty in pulling out the crown.

Hope this helps. If you are still not happy can still go RSC lah... No harm..
      PAM 233K :woohoo:
      IWC BP 5004 :D
      Explorer II Z Series white dial :yay:
      Casio Pro Trek :appluse:

One last one: JLC Tribute to Polaris 68 re-edition

Comment

Originally posted by Oceanklassik View Post
        I got no gmt watch so not sure if same. But curious to know one thing; do you turn anti-clockwise to adjust time? I tot ROLEX watches is to turn clockwise?? I am not too sure.
        Read from manual and from Rolex forum anti clockwise is fine... I'm doing it too.. So far so good..

Comment

Originally posted by rotan View Post
          Hi Bro answer to your question - I read in Rolex Forum that this is very normal as the GMTIIc has a safety buffer built in to prevent accidental winding out...

As for the tightness, I think it is due to the seals are very new thus the difficulty in pulling out the crown.

Hope this helps. If you are still not happy can still go RSC lah... No harm..
          icic

thanks bro for the info.

Originally posted by Oceanklassik
          Most (if not all) watches are fine with setting the minute hand bewards or forwards. I did it backwards cos I quite particular of when the minute hand reaches the minute marker.

let me see if i can explain this correctly. Sometimess, when the second hand hits the 60th second (12 marker) the minute hand is not pointing exactly at the new minute. at 15seconds pass the 12th marker, the minute hand will move to point exactly at the new minute (i.e. previous 10, now points at 11). This is due to freeplay.

to overcome this (not all watch have this issue), we hack the second hand at exactly the 12marker, then we move the minute hand forward by say 5 minutes and then move backwards to the minute marker that we want. This way, when the second hand hits the 12th marker, the minute hand will be exactly at the minute marker.

er? sorry for the long post
          I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch.........

Comment

there's an easier way to ensure better alignment between seconds and minute hand.....

instead of 12 o'clock marker, hack at 9 o'clock or 10.... the movement will have 10-15 seconds to take up the slack/free-play...

no need to move the hands back and forth.....
            the hype is true. listen at your own risk.
            visit my watch and audio blog oohlins.blogspot & learn how to use the rolex comfort link

Comment

Originally posted by ohlins View Post
              there's an easier way to ensure better alignment between seconds and minute hand.....

instead of 12 o'clock marker, hack at 9 o'clock or 10.... the movement will have 10-15 seconds to take up the slack/free-play...

no need to move the hands back and forth.....

oh ya, thats also a possible method.

thanks!

Comment

All of us just love to see how accurate our Rolexes are hehe...

Comment

Originally posted by exxondus View Post
                  since the first day I got my GMT2c about a month ago, I have only wind it twice.

Once on the first day and another time over the weekend just for fun. (Trying to get the time to follow SST).

anyway, noticed some issues with my crown.

1) After unwinding anti-clockwise, the crown does not pop out. I have to move clockwise once before it pops out.

2) Pulling the crown to the different positions is a chore!! its very tight.

3) When setting the minute hand, if I were to wind anti-clockwise and let go after setting the minute hand, the minute hand doesnt stay there and will move a bit.

i.e. Now its at 10minutes. I want to set it to 8 minutes so I wind it anticlockwise (or was it clockwise? ) then once i move backwards to 8 minutes and let go, the minute hand will move forward a bit and doesnt stay at 8. Hence If i wanted to set to 8 by gg backwards, I need to move like 7+ seconds so that it will move to 8 by itself. Gg forwards is of no issue.

Are points 1-3 above normal or its g to be a trip to RSC to claim warranty

Thanks in advance!

normal leh..a couple of my crowns doesn't pop out automatically after unscrewing. must turn forward abit then pops out..

when u set the time anti clockwise is also normal, could be due to the gaskets producing friction..

a tight crown is better than a loose one right>?LOL

I wouldn't worry about it if i were u, the chance of RSC messing up your watch will be greater if u do decide to bring it in. I've experienced it before.

Comment

yeah lah...tight tight good mah...

cheers
                    Rolex SD "m" series
                    Omega Speedmaster
                    PAM 164K

Comment

Ic. Thanks. Cos i own several other watches but have nvr had such issues so a bit scared haha. My other watches be it tag or ball all when setting time is spot on wont move by itself de

Anyway since this is norm for rolex so will accept it thanks.

Btw wat did rsc do to ur watch?

Originally posted by leslie View Post
                      normal leh..a couple of my crowns doesn't pop out automatically after unscrewing. must turn forward abit then pops out..

when u set the time anti clockwise is also normal, could be due to the gaskets producing friction..

a tight crown is better than a loose one right>?LOL

I wouldn't worry about it if i were u, the chance of RSC messing up your watch will be greater if u do decide to bring it in. I've experienced it before.

Comment

Originally posted by exxondus View Post
                        Ic. Thanks. Cos i own several other watches but have nvr had such issues so a bit scared haha. My other watches be it tag or ball all when setting time is spot on wont move by itself de

Anyway since this is norm for rolex so will accept it thanks.

Btw wat did rsc do to ur watch?
                        I've sent in my 1 week old explorer 2 due to some genuine problems with the automatic winding. They did that on the spot and when it came back, they left 4 deep chips marks on the front of the lugs. Have told them before hand not to leave any scratches on the watch but they still remove the bracelet from the front of the lugs. Never seen anyone removing bracelet from the front unless u wanna have an easy way out. They went on to touch up on the lugs and in the end the lugs looks so worn out like a 2nd hand watch liao, in the end sold it at a lost.

My experience is if you wend in a watch under warrenty claims, they usually boh chup one. Those that pays money for regular servicing, the watches always comes back nicely.

Comment

Originally posted by leslie View Post
                          I've sent in my 1 week old explorer 2 due to some genuine problems with the automatic winding. They did that on the spot and when it came back, they left 4 deep chips marks on the front of the lugs. Have told them before hand not to leave any scratches on the watch but they still remove the bracelet from the front of the lugs. Never seen anyone removing bracelet from the front unless u wanna have an easy way out. They went on to touch up on the lugs and in the end the lugs looks so worn out like a 2nd hand watch liao, in the end sold it at a lost.

My experience is if you wend in a watch under warrenty claims, they usually boh chup one. Those that pays money for regular servicing, the watches always comes back nicely.
                          oh wow, scary man!

think i better live with my watch the way it is since its only losing 2 seconds per day and I seldom need to wind it or pull out the crown.

btw, ya, agree on sending watches in to fix. Last time my Sinn857 tio issue, send in and in the end came back with a non-hack movement. power! luckily they know its a 7 day old watch so I was given a 1-1 replacement

Comment

i gt a feeling there is a misthread in the crown screw thread ... it should not happen the way u explain

Comment

i feel best not to send watch in for svc unless got problem... afterall, they are technicians, not watchmakers...

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X