Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by clocking View Post
    Me have stupid question to ask.
    ROLEX instruction manual indicated for date not to be set at 3 & 9 o'clock ?
    Others Branded Watches instruction manual indicated for date not to be set at 3 & 9 o'clock ?
    I think we need to be more specific in stating the 3 and 9 o'clock so as not to cause confusion.

I agreed with what is written on the manual but the specific time should be between 9pm and 3am.

I personally have tried adjusting the date between those time and you can feel that there is some kind of difficulty in turning the date. I felt the crown having much more tightness when turn and after that I did not proceed further, incase I break the crown.

So for me now I always adjust the time to 9am (not just 9 o'clock), then I start to adjust the date. So far no issue.

Comment

Originally posted by TanWL View Post
      I think we need to be more specific in stating the 3 and 9 o'clock so as not to cause confusion.

I agreed with what is written on the manual but the specific time should be between 9pm and 3am.
      Good that you clarify that. Didn't note that my original message was misquoted.

Originally posted by pegasi View Post
      Didn't know there is such a rule of thumb. The rule I know is to avoid setting date between 9pm to 3am (some say 8pm to 4am). When a watch is in complete stop, you can't be sure about 12 noon unless you make at least one turn passes the 12. Hence my personal practice is to always set the date at 6 o'clock +/-, doesn't matter am or pm.
      Watches are like potato chips - You never stop at one

Never political, seldom diplomatic, always honest

Comment

Originally posted by OilNGas View Post
        Hi all ,
        Any pelagos owners here know whether if there's a quick set date function?
        Much appreciate for the reply
        Happy New Year!
        Originally posted by feilong108 View Post
        Unscrew the crown and pull the crown stem to 1st position...can set date liao... (Best advice received Clocking)
        Originally posted by OilNGas View Post
        ok thank you. is there a time of the day to adjust the date so as not to damage the parts?(This came in Clocking)
        Originally posted by taxico View Post
        as a rule of thumb, just adjust the date with time set to 12 noon and all should be okay (for almost all movements).
        Didn't know there is such a rule of thumb. The rule I know is to avoid setting date between 9pm to 3am (some say 8pm to 4am). When a watch is in complete stop, you can't be sure about 12 noon unless you make at least one turn passes the 12. Hence my personal practice is to always set the date at 6 o'clock +/-, doesn't matter am or pm.
        Originally posted by taxico View Post
        ah... as MY rule of thumb! my bad.
        if there is no date, then there should be no worries about the 12 noon 12 midnight issue as there is nothing engaged to flip the date wheel.
        with date, it should have moved and engaged and disengaged well before 12 noon. if noon can't be figured out... then we may have to replace the watch with something simpler...
        there are some older (ulu) movements that do not play well if you disturb it around 5am or 7pm, which can be a little too close to 6 o'clock depending on how old it is and how the last watchmaker has dropped in the date wheel.
        Originally posted by Trinidad View Post
        My own personal method over the years is to adjust date when hands are between 1:30 to 2am.
        This ensures that the date wheel has jumped and the watch is "at the start" of a new day.
        Moreover, between 1.30 to 2am, the hands are not blocking the date.
        Originally posted by Oceanklassik View Post
        That's my personal 'rule of thumb'
        It was my very first lesson on how to handle some basics of an automatic watch from a Sincere sales person. That is, to set the time to 6 o'clock, each time I want to adjust time on a automatic watch with date.
        (Gethings complicated so i try to make info easy to understand i hope. Clocking)
        Me have stupid question to ask.
        ROLEX instruction manual indicated for date not to be set at 3 & 9 o'clock ?
        Others Branded Watches instruction manual indicated for date not to be set at 3 & 9 o'clock ?
        IIRC I have seen some watch manuals that came with this advice/note. I will have to go back and flip those pages to refresh.

However, for ROLEX watches, I have read and even posted what I read in the forum, that you need not have to worry with those date adjustments at any time. I lifted that up from a watch magazine about some 'myths' about ROLEX watches. Try to search the forum.
        THE QUICK-SET FUNCTION
        A common problem with mechanical watches is the setting of the date. When the hour hand is between nine o'clock and three o'clock, the date mechanism is engaged and setting the date can damage the watch. This is a severe annoyance to anyone wearing a mechanical watch. ROLEX is the only brand to resolve this issue in all its models with its quick-set function, which allows you to change the date without affecting the accuracy of the movement in the long run.
        (Best info received Clocking)
        Originally posted by TanWL View Post
        I personally have tried adjusting the date between those time and you can feel that there is some kind of difficulty in turning the date. I felt the crown having much more tightness when turn and after that I did not proceed further, incase I break the crown.
        So for me now I always adjust the time to 9am (not just 9 o'clock), then I start to adjust the date. So far no issue.(Thanks for the alert Colocking)
        Rolex in General. Is all about Rolex.
        My understanding Rolex adjust the date no issue to damage the parts.

If Rolex adjust the date "is" "was" issue to damage the parts. Rolex must be responsible, print instruction manual indicated best advice to adjust the date.

ROLEX is the only brand to resolve this issue in all its models with its quick-set function, which allows you to change the date without affecting the accuracy of the movement in the long run.

Others Branded Watches have improved the in house movement. Check your Branded Watches instruction manual.

Getting a luxury watches is important to study all aspects. Me learning a lot from this sharing forum.

Me sorry if Me wrong

Comment

Originally posted by sty13
          buy quartz
          aiya, don't be so quick to shoot down leh. We are all here to share different experiences in our journey.

Comment

Rolex in General. Is all about Rolex.
            My understanding Rolex adjust the date no issue to damage the parts.

If Rolex adjust the date "is" "was" issue to damage the parts. Rolex must be responsible, print instruction manual indicated best advice to adjust the date.

ROLEX is the only brand to resolve this issue in all its models with its quick-set function, which allows you to change the date without affecting the accuracy of the movement in the long run.

Others Branded Watches have improved the in house movement. Check your Branded Watches instruction manual.

Getting a luxury watches is important to study all aspects. Me learning a lot from this sharing forum.

Me sorry if Me wrong
            Now I am confused, H.

TS was asking about Pelagos and you kept referring to Rolex. Are you telling us that Tudor have no issue with date setting at any timing just like Rolex?
            Last edited by pegasi; 03-01-14, 09:49 PM.

Comment

1. Adjust time to 6 o'clock. Doesn't matter morning or night.

2. Adjust date to day before. Eg. Today is 3rd, set date to 2nd.

3. Turn the hour/minute hands until the correct date and time.

All is safe for mechanical watch. Ignore 1. for rolex watches if wishes.

Tudor is ETA based. So all points apply.
              Audemars Piguet Ball Bell&Ross Cartier IWC Longines Omega Panerai Rolex Sinn Tissot

Alba Casio Citizen Roox Seiko

Wanted to add PP but bo lui

Comment

Originally posted by Watcha View Post
                1. Adjust time to 6 o'clock. Doesn't matter morning or night.

2. Adjust date to day before. Eg. Today is 3rd, set date to 2nd.

3. Turn the hour/minute hands until the correct date and time.

All is safe for mechanical watch. Ignore 1. for rolex watches if wishes.

Tudor is ETA based. So all points apply.
                Very clear summary, Watcha

I am not sure the said non-issue with Rolex applies to all new & old models with quick-set date, though.
                Last edited by pegasi; 03-01-14, 11:59 PM.

Comment

Now I am confused, H.

TS was asking about Pelagos and you kept referring to Rolex. Are you telling us that Tudor have no issue with date setting at any timing just like Rolex?
                  Oops me sorry, Rolex only as example.
                  Branded Watches have improved, like In House, Tudor ETA caliber.

I hope we are talking about this. If wrong sorry ya bro....
                  MOVEMENT 2824
                  Self-winding Jewels 25
                  Frequency 28,800 vibrations/hour
                  Power reserve 38 hours

This watch have so much to offer. Like I said.
                  Getting a luxury watches is important to study all aspects.
                  Check your Branded Watches instruction manual. Or check with RSC, sorry I can't look for TSC why?. We are not talking about Rolex right, yes about Tudor but where is TSC emmm never mind lah.

This is good We are all here to share different experiences in our journey.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X