Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question

Hi all ,

Any pelagos owners here know whether if there's a quick set date function?

Much appreciate for the reply

Happy New Year!

Unscrew the crown and pull the crown stem to 1st position...can set date liao...
    Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak

Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen

Quoted from Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

ok thank you. is there a time of the day to adjust the date so as not to damage the parts?

Comment

as a rule of thumb, just adjust the date with time set to 12 noon and all should be okay (for almost all movements).
        “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

Comment

Originally posted by taxico View Post
          as a rule of thumb, just adjust the date with time set to 12 noon and all should be okay (for almost all movements).
          Didn't know there is such a rule of thumb. The rule I know is to avoid setting date between 9pm to 3am (some say 8pm to 4am). When a watch is in complete stop, you can't be sure about 12 noon unless you make at least one turn passes the 12. Hence my personal practice is to always set the date at 6 o'clock +/-, doesn't matter am or pm.
          Watches are like potato chips - You never stop at one

Never political, seldom diplomatic, always honest

Comment

My own personal method over the years is to adjust date when hands are between 1:30 to 2am.
            This ensures that the date wheel has jumped and the watch is "at the start" of a new day.
            Moreover, between 1.30 to 2am, the hands are not blocking the date.

Comment

Originally posted by pegasi View Post
              Didn't know there is such a rule of thumb... When a watch is in complete stop, you can't be sure about 12 noon unless you make at least one turn passes the 12. Hence my personal practice is to always set the date at 6 o'clock +/-, doesn't matter am or pm.
              ah... as MY rule of thumb! my bad.

if there is no date, then there should be no worries about the 12 noon 12 midnight issue as there is nothing engaged to flip the date wheel.

with date, it should have moved and engaged and disengaged well before 12 noon. if noon can't be figured out... then we may have to replace the watch with something simpler...

there are some older (ulu) movements that do not play well if you disturb it around 5am or 7pm, which can be a little too close to 6 o'clock depending on how old it is and how the last watchmaker has dropped in the date wheel.
              “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

Comment

Didn't know there is such a rule of thumb. The rule I know is to avoid setting date between 9pm to 3am (some say 8pm to 4am). When a watch is in complete stop, you can't be sure about 12 noon unless you make at least one turn passes the 12. Hence my personal practice is to always set the date at 6 o'clock +/-, doesn't matter am or pm.
                That's my personal 'rule of thumb'

It was my very first lesson on how to handle some basics of an automatic watch from a Sincere sales person. That is, to set the time to 6 o'clock, each time I want to adjust time on a automatic watch with date.
                The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Originally posted by Oceanklassik View Post
                  That's my personal 'rule of thumb'

It was my very first lesson on how to handle some basics of an automatic watch from a Sincere sales person. That is, to set the time to 6 o'clock, each time I want to adjust time on a automatic watch with date.
                  Not being picky but I believe you meant "mechanical" when you said "automatic"

Comment

Me have stupid question to ask.
                    ROLEX instruction manual indicated for date not to be set at 3 & 9 o'clock ?
                    Others Branded Watches instruction manual indicated for date not to be set at 3 & 9 o'clock ?

Comment

Not being picky but I believe you meant "mechanical" when you said "automatic"
                      Thank you

Originally posted by clocking View Post
                      Others Branded Watches instruction manual indicated for date not to be set at 3 & 9 o'clock ?
                      IIRC I have seen some watch manuals that came with this advice/note. I will have to go back and flip those pages to refresh.

However, for ROLEX watches, I have read and even posted what I read in the forum, that you need not have to worry with those date adjustments at any time. I lifted that up from a watch magazine about some 'myths' about ROLEX watches. Try to search the forum.
                      The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Let me give you a hand (or fingers)..

http://www.sg-roc.com/threads/17786-...ht=switzerland

The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Originally posted by clocking View Post
                          It's a general "rule of thumb" I read somewhere, not specifically talking about Rolex. Different watches of different movements could of course have varying spec or might not even subject to this rule.

A quote from the linked article in Oceanklassik's post above:

'THE QUICK-SET FUNCTION

A common problem with mechanical watches is the setting of the date. When the hour hand is between nine o'clock and three o'clock, the date mechanism is engaged and setting the date can damage the watch. This is a severe annoyance to anyone wearing a mechanical watch. ROLEX is the only brand to resolve this issue in all its models with its quick-set function, which allows you to change the date without affecting the accuracy of the movement in the long run.'

Comment

I appreciate the feedbacks and Advise from all of you

Will try to adjust my date at End of Feb 2014.

Comment

Nevertheless, I made some quick reference to the user manual of some watches and got the following:

Seiko: 9pm-1am; 9pm-4am (different models)
                              Omega: 8pm - 2am
                              IWC: 8pm - 2am
                              JLC: No mention

Based on the above very small sampling, 8pm-4am would cover most scenario where the timing of date setting need to be observed.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X