Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi there

Im seller here I have no rights to give any comment on this tropic
    Happen to read thru this thread and saw the argument. Itz more trustworthy to believe what the ( IWC Tech) -Tang reply. Then you guys go on giving all the comment on What you think ? What I think ? Then who is going to CONFIRM the info is correct ;(

Comment

Originally posted by teenalow View Post
      Hi there

Happen to read thru this thread and saw the argument. Itz more trustworthy to believe what the ( IWC Tech) -Tang reply. Then you guys go on giving all the comment on What you think ? What I think ? Then who is going to CONFIRM the info is correct ;(

Sure we believe what IWC says... but this thread is to share how we individually take care of our own watches on a winder lah!

There are also two schools of thot, one says its better without a winder and the other to use a winder. Here, we're saying about it's use and how we use them ourselves.

For me, I'm kiasu, so I'd rather take care of my watches. Last time anyhow but after being involved in designing and building them I've discovered a lot about winders.

We share our thots in this forum.
      Visit the DIY Section of Singapore Rolex Club for interesting articles.

Privileged manufacturer for:
      • Panerai Boutiques - Asia-Pacific
      • Montre de MarQue
      • Etoile D'Or
      • Hotel Indonesia
      • Glory Time
      • The Watch-Collector
      • Time Palace
      • The Swiss Connection
      • M Baker
      • Maurice Lacroix
      • Time Marques
      • Timeless Watch Boutique

To Achieve Perfect Aim, just shoot and call anything you hit as TARGET!

Comment

put the same IWC ingenieur on an orbita winder. unfortunately, it also winds up the watch to full.
        if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
        1. subject heading indicating your issue
        2. your nick
        3. your corresponding email address
        4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

this is not an argument, it is expressing point of view.

i was @ a watch seminar last night and brought this question to one person who is from a local AD. he is not from the sales team. according to him, one watch brand technician said that it is possible to tell if a watch has been sitting on winder.

let me be devil's advocate, why would the technician say it is ok.

would the technician dare to say otherwise? he cant because he is representing the brand indirectly. can you imagine if he said otherwise even if it is true?

then again, how many people we know have said that the slipping clutch has been damaged before? probably none.

if a winder is never going to cause any damage(s) to a watch placed on its winder, is any brand of watch winder going to pay for the repair cost if it happens? is any watch brand going to say that if their brand watch place on winder and it is damaged, they will repair free of charge?

ten10 has already said, some believe in watch winder. some dont.

if anyone has followed my view on what to look out for when getting a winder, i have never said this brand or that brand is no good. i have been saying that it is better to go for this and that. because of this reason and that reason. i leave the decision buying to the end user.

i love my watches. i would like to take care of my watches regardless internal or external.

Originally posted by teenalow View Post
          Hi there

Originally posted by ten10 View Post
          Sure we believe what IWC says... but this thread is to share how we individually take care of our own watches on a winder lah!

There are also two schools of thot, one says its better without a winder and the other to use a winder. Here, we're saying about it's use and how we use them ourselves.

For me, I'm kiasu, so I'd rather take care of my watches. Last time anyhow but after being involved in designing and building them I've discovered a lot about winders.

We share our thots in this forum.
          if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

kindly email with
          2. your nick

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

Comment

Like triton I'm also interested to know if my winder will fully wind up and keep on winding my watch so I decided to test it out also.
            Test case:
            2 Ball watch, PR about 42hrs, both watches are not fully wound when I put them in the winder. SpaceMaster Glow has been in the winder for about 2 weeks and Stormchaser DLC GLow in the winder about 4 days. I switched off both winder on 18/8/11 12.45am. So now wait for both watches to stop and see how many hours they clock with their PR.

Side Note: Since the forum have so many members is it possible to organise seminar on watches?

Comment

thanks for doing the test case.

the watch seminar i attended last night was for specific brand. im currently in discussion with a company to do a general watch discussion seminar for sg-roc members. stay tuned.

Originally posted by TanWL View Post
              Like triton I'm also interested to know if my winder will fully wind up and keep on winding my watch so I decided to test it out also.
              Test case:
              2 Ball watch, PR about 42hrs, both watches are not fully wound when I put them in the winder. SpaceMaster Glow has been in the winder for about 2 weeks and Stormchaser DLC GLow in the winder about 4 days. I switched off both winder on 18/8/11 12.45am. So now wait for both watches to stop and see how many hours they clock with their PR.

Side Note: Since the forum have so many members is it possible to organise seminar on watches?

kindly email with
              2. your nick

Comment

Can I request for a topic on the construction of the movements? Thanks

Originally posted by triton View Post

the watch seminar i attended last night was for specific brand. im currently in discussion with a company to do a general watch discussion seminar for sg-roc members. stay tuned.

Comment

put the same IWC ingenieur on an orbita winder. unfortunately, it also winds up the watch to full.
                  What was the state of wind prior placing it in the winder?

Was the TPD set to the minimum?

What Orbita model was in use?

It'd be interesting to know lah...

• Montre de MarQue
                  • Etoile D'Or
                  • Hotel Indonesia
                  • Glory Time
                  • The Watch-Collector
                  • Time Palace
                  • The Swiss Connection
                  • M Baker
                  • Maurice Lacroix
                  • Time Marques

Comment

My thots exactly TanWL!

Me want to know which part goes to which part, what connects to where inside a timepiece.

Interesting to know. I'm sure many members here would be interested too in order to appreciate more the art of watchmaking!

• Montre de MarQue
                    • Etoile D'Or
                    • Hotel Indonesia
                    • Glory Time
                    • The Watch-Collector
                    • Time Palace
                    • The Swiss Connection
                    • M Baker
                    • Maurice Lacroix
                    • Time Marques

Comment

Test case:

Originally posted by ten10 View Post
                      My thots exactly TanWL!

Me want to know which part goes to which part, what connects to where inside a timepiece.

Interesting to know. I'm sure many members here would be interested too in order to appreciate more the art of watchmaking!
                      I think this is getting me all excited already. Will want to attend if there's any of such a seminar/workshop and of course, if it's not expensive
                      The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Count me in as well! It is truly a science, the 'art' of watch making and watch winding. On the watch winding front, I am also keen to hear more about the new way of 'winding' as introduced by Orbita's rotorwind approach (which mimics the swing of the arms), as opposed to the traditional way of winding (merry-go-round).

Comment

Originally posted by Oceanklassik View Post
                          I think this is getting me all excited already. Will want to attend if there's any of such a seminar/workshop and of course, if it's not expensive
                          Im interested in the w/s (seminar) as well. 9 7272 822

Comment

Ok, these are the results from my test.
                            Both watches stop winding in the winder on 18/8/11 00:45am.

Spacemaster Glow (From data spec. PR=38hrs)
                            SM Glow completely stop moving on 19/8/11 15:40pm. The PR wound up by the winder work out to be around 39 hrs, which is quite close to the data spec.

Stormchaser DLC GLow (From data spec. PR=42hrs)
                            Stormchaser DLC GLow completely stop moving on 19/8/11 09:53am. The PR wound up by the winder work out to be around 33 hrs, it still have room before it reached 42 hrs(data spec). But not to forget it has only been in the winder for 4 days compare to SM Glow of 2 weeks. I would say if given more time in the winder it should reach its max PR of 42hrs.

These results is consistent with triton findings about his winder wound up his watch to the max PR.

Test case:

Comment

Saw this write-up in a different watch forum regarding over winding and just sharing it.

"Re: Yet another winder/overwinding question - complex
                              This is a question that is often asked. First, one must understand what happens when the mainspring is fully wound on an automatic watch. This will help you to understand why over winding should be avoided. Automatic watches have what is called an unbreakable mainspring. This means that the mainspring will fully wind inside the barrel and then will "slip" inside the barrel to prevent over winding and breaking the mainspring (the spring is NOT unbreakable, but the design is meant to avoid breakage). The barrel, which houses the mainspring, has breaking grease on the interior walls of the barrel. The breaking grease allows the mainsprings end to slip inside and slowly rub against the barrel wall in order to release over winding tension.

The barrel is typically constructed of brass and sometimes nickel plated. The mainspring in a vintage watch is made of hardened and tempered steel (much harder than brass). So if a vintage watch sits on a winder that never stops, the barrel walls will eventually be damaged by the steel spring scraping along the inside wall of the barrel. Over winding every once in a while is not going to harm the watch, but you could imagine that over winding all of the time for many years will cause damage to the barrel of the watch. This is why a winder should turn on for a little while and then shut off for a while.

Newer automatic watches have the same unbreakable mainspring and slipping system as older watches, but they use a different material for the mainspring. The mainspring is not hardened and tempered steel like the older springs. The newer springs are often referred to as white alloy or Nivaflex springs. These newer springs are coated with a Teflon like coating that minimizes friction. However prolonged over winding will still cause unnecessary wear on the barrel walls.

So that is what happens when an automatic watch over winds. It is important to also realize that a watch will over wind while being worn, but it will not usually over wind over and over again like it will on a winder that never stops rotating.

I hope this helps to answer people questions about over winding. Feel free to ask questions if I was unclear or if there is anything else you would like to know.

Watchmaker / Owner of Weiss Watch Company, Watch Repair and Sales"

Comment

Great find bro!

Most of us are naive until something happens to our watches that we learn (the hard way). As I've said, I'd rather keep my watch on winders with single pods and follow the winding requirements.

I've learnt it while "diving deep into winders".

Thanks so much for sharing!

• Montre de MarQue
                                • Etoile D'Or
                                • Hotel Indonesia
                                • Glory Time
                                • The Watch-Collector
                                • Time Palace
                                • The Swiss Connection
                                • M Baker
                                • Maurice Lacroix
                                • Time Marques

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X