X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scratched panerai sapphire crystal

Hi,

Just wanted to share:
    I had an accidental knocked on the edge of a glass door with my Pam and suffered a 3-4mm scratched.. It was deep enough to be felt by touching it...

I went to Panerai ion and was told that the sapphire crystal replacement cost would be $600.. As the watch is less than 2 months old, they advised me not to replace as they would need to open the case which they felt was not iDeal

In the end, I tries to polish it off using some cape cod cloth....after 45mins of polishing... I managed to removed the scratch completely..
    Please refer to the following to view the before and after image
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/r4ru4zfmni...%2029%20PM.jpg

I'm not sure if I'm right but I believe the Pam 312 comes with anti-reflective coating. Usually should be both sides right? Will your method rub off the coating?
    I don't have enuf watches but I will stop buying now!
    http://roguehogticktock.blogspot.sg/

Comment

THought for PAM the coating is only on the undeside....not sure though....but the scratch was more irritating than anything else....I tape up the watch and only expose the scratch portion when i polish....so even if it does remove the AR coating...its only on the small portion

Comment

Logically speaking.. capecod cannot remove scratches from Sapphire crystal unless is surface scratches which did not 'eat into the sapphire'.

You just create a new wonder for capecod and defy the nature

Anyway you just save $600, congrats bro

Comment

Thanks for sharing! Now I know what to do when I experience a scratch.
          Just another small small small small watch user ....

Comment

Originally posted by bamdazzle View Post
            Logically speaking.. capecod cannot remove scratches from Sapphire crystal unless is surface scratches which did not 'eat into the sapphire'.

You just create a new wonder for capecod and defy the nature

Anyway you just save $600, congrats bro
            Agree.... so must be the coatings that was scratched.... unless you can feel with fingernail, the Sapphire is not damaged.
            ROLEX.

Comment

hi, where do you guys get your cape cod cloth from?

Comment

Originally posted by Dfive View Post
                Agree.... so must be the coatings that was scratched.... unless you can feel with fingernail, the Sapphire is not damaged.
                It was definitely a scratch...I can feel it with by fingernails for sure...and the PANERAIL lady tried to clean with cloth as well...she concluded...NO HOPE then

Comment

Hi,
                  Cape cod can be bought at major DIY shops....however, i bought mine from ebay....cheaper.

Comment

Cape cod dries up after sometime. Get autosol metal polish at $4 a tube.

Comment

Is autosol same as capecod in terms of polish results

Originally posted by kiwitan View Post
                      Cape cod dries up after sometime. Get autosol metal polish at $4 a tube.

Comment

Originally posted by skydweller_sg View Post
                        Is autosol same as capecod in terms of polish results

To me, both cape cod and autosol can rubba the scratches away.
                        autosol u can buy from Home Fix...traditional hardware stores should be cheaper.

Comment

Oh! Only the inside? I out like most other brands they will coat both sides. Especially for the 1950's range as they cost almost double of the base offerings.
                          I don't have enuf watches but I will stop buying now!
                          http://roguehogticktock.blogspot.sg/

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X