PAM111 or PAM312?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PAM111 or PAM312?

Hey guys..I'm looking to get either one of the 2 watches I've listed..I've only recently started to look into Panerai and getting myself familiar with the different models and stuff..

One thing for sure is I prefer the sandwich dial that's why I shortlisted these 2 models..the thing I'm considering now is the movement inside these 2 watches..the difference in price comes to about $2.5K..issit worth the extra to pay for an in-house movement as compared to the modified ETA one in PAM111?

To be very honest the PAM312 is a little out of my budget but if it's more desirable then I wouldn't mind forking out abit more for it..as for the PAM111..well I do like the idea of the seconds hand but unlike the PAM312..it takes up the "9" instead of being next to it..it somehow just doesn't seem "complete" if I can put it that way..i may wanna look at the PAM112 instead if i take the PAM312 out of the equation.

What do you guys think? This will prolly be my only Panerai purchase in the foreseeable future and I'll prolly only be able to get another watch like in 6-9 months time..and I do think I will buy other watch-maker by that time..I would also prefer to buy it brand new and not 2nd hand..do let me know your comments! Thanks!

You either sacrifice the 9 (111) or 3 (312), so same difference.

Two completely different series as well, one's a historic with manual winding, the other's a contemporary automatic. If you just want the Luminor styling with modern conveniences, it's the 312. If you appreciate the heritage and historical connections of Panerai, then the choice becomes easier with 111.

Btw, I never understood the usefulness of the small second dial on PAMs. Without the second-reset feature of the more pricier models, it just becomes eye candy (or annoyance, depending on your point of view).

Comment

Originally posted by SmOcKxY View Post
      ..well I do like the idea of the seconds hand but unlike the PAM312..it takes up the "9" instead of being next to it..it somehow just doesn't seem "complete" if I can put it that way..i may wanna look at the PAM112 instead if i take the PAM312 out of the equation.
      Yes you should seriously consider a 112 over 111 if this is how you feel. Plus also the edge of the second hand (white) isn't in sync with that of the hour/minute hands (black) in the 111.

I had a 111 (as well as 005 and 183) and now ends up with a 112

312 is nice and quite different watch (auto/inhouse movement/1950 case) but it is out of my equation (to use your words) due to its thickness.

I am still very happy with my 112.
      Last edited by pegasi; 18-10-12, 10:08 AM.
      Watches are like potato chips - You never stop at one

Never political, seldom diplomatic, always honest

Comment

Yeah the "3" is taken out in the PAM312 but somehow it doesn't look as "weird"..

Essentially..dare I even say the 2 watches are about the same..I've tried both on and both feels good on the wrist and looks about the same as well..

My only consideration now is whether I should fork out the extra $2.5K for the in-house movement..hmm..decisions decisions..

Comment

Hey I din realise the colors of the hands were different on the PAM111 till u mentioned it! Haha! That's not a real big minus to me..it's just pretty much the overall look of the dial..

How is the 183? It looks nice too though i feel it tends to wear abit smaller than the luminor models even though it's the same size..do you still have it?

Comment

With pams, it is impossible to stop at one unless u stop visiting watch forums, lol.

Jokes aside, I will prefer the 312 over 111, have a feel of the two watches physically and u can tell the diff between the 1950s case of the 312 vs 111. I personally adore the 1950s case styling. The 3-day reserve is very useful if u are not wearing the watch over the weekend.

I moved from a base 000 to 176 (titanium version of 112) and 372, somehow i thought i would settle for painted dials, but eventually got lured by sandwich dial, then when i got the sandwich dial, got lured by p3000 movement etc...never ending
            elusive

Comment

The first thing to decide is the look. 312 is much thicker, looks modern.

312 offers a lot more "watch". Having owned both 111, and 312 before. I would say if u change strap often and like modern convenient,
              312 better suits you. The auto 3 days, quick change, date and quick hour adjustment is just so convenient. But the question is why the need to have such thick modern movement.

111 is much flatter, hence fit nicer. IMO the ETA looks better than in house movements.
              There is nothing to see for most in house panerai movements.

IMO 111 looks better. If you don't need to see something moves, you can consider 112.

When it comes to panerai, it's always about personal preference on looks.
              Audemars Piguet Ball Bell&Ross Cartier IWC Longines Omega Panerai Rolex Sinn Tissot

Alba Casio Citizen Roox Seiko

Wanted to add PP but bo lui

Comment

Originally posted by satch View Post
                With pams, it is impossible to stop at one unless u stop visiting watch forums, lol.

Jokes aside, I will prefer the 312 over 111, have a feel of the two watches physically and u can tell the diff between the 1950s case of the 312 vs 111. I personally adore the 1950s case styling. The 3-day reserve is very useful if u are not wearing the watch over the weekend.

I moved from a base 000 to 176 (titanium version of 112) and 372, somehow i thought i would settle for painted dials, but eventually got lured by sandwich dial, then when i got the sandwich dial, got lured by p3000 movement etc...never ending
                You sound like a risti

I am not, hence I need only one base PAM to provide a different style among my small watch collection, hehe.

Comment

Originally posted by Watcha View Post
                  When it comes to panerai, it's always about looks.

Comment

Originally posted by pegasi View Post
                    You sound like a risti

I am not, hence I need only one base PAM to provide a different style among my small watch collection, hehe.
                    Lol, i only know a small tiny bit of the panerai encyclopedia, but always attracted by the brand's heritage and styling... Next is to get a radiomir to pair with luminor
                    elusive

Comment

My choice is the 312.

Reasons:
                      1) Quick change of straps. I change the strap frequently and am not comforatble using screw drivers to change strap for luminor casing due to the fear of scratching the watch case!

2) I prefer the thicker 1950 casing over the luminor casing.

3) The 3 days power reserve.

Just my 2 cents.

Ken
                      Current Love
                      Pam 312
                      Pam 210
                      Pam 372
                      Pam 424

Comment

I am upgraded from 111 to 312. Can not stand the black/white hands on 111! Hahahaha.... If u wan to buy 111, I suggest you take a look on 112, at least all hands are in black! :P

Anyway, must say the 3 days PR of 312 very useful, keep in watch box on Fri night, next Mon still kicking and just wear it to work.

However, U can forget abt 312 if u dislike thick watch. It wears much bigger than 111... eventhou they are same size at 44mm.

Comment

Originally posted by shuseido View Post
                          I am upgraded from 111 to 312. Can not stand the black/white hands on 111! Hahahaha.... If u wan to buy 111, I suggest you take a look on 112, at least all hands are in black! :P

Anyway, must say the 3 days PR of 312 very useful, keep in watch box on Fri night, next Mon still kicking and just wear it to work.

However, U can forget abt 312 if u dislike thick watch. It wears much bigger than 111... eventhou they are same size at 44mm.
                          312 too thick huh...upgrade to 372 lor...mai tu liao...!

Comment

Originally posted by pegasi View Post
                            312 too thick huh...upgrade to 372 lor...mai tu liao...!
                            Basket u... let me put my 312 on sales first... :P

Comment

Thanks for your comments and suggestions guys..went down to Panerai at Ion to finally try both watches at the same time to get a feel..previously tried both watches on different occasions..in any case the 111 is out of stock everywhere..even at Ion the piece I tried on is reserved..

After trying on both watches..I must say I prefer the 312 over the 111..both watches felt great on the wrist..however the 312 definitely is beefier and heavier than the 111..which I somehow like actually..pair it with a nice tan 5mm strap it will be a nice chunk of a watch..with the 2 supplied straps it can be a very versatile activity/rugged/dressy watch..I'd probably be rotating it amongst other watches so it'll be worn for 3/4 days a week so the 3 days power reserve comes in handy like some of you guys mentioned..

Of cos the OP XI calibre looks much nicer than the P.9000 calibre..the thing that really swings my vote to the 312 is that this will prolly be my only Panerai purchase for the time being..there are still 4-5 watches on my wishlist I hope to acquire within the next 2 years..I dun wan to be in a situation whereby I buy the 111 and then wished I'd gone for the in-house movement one..I've never sold any of watches and I dun think I will want to start

So after I left Panerai Ion I walked to some AD to check out the discounts I can get..the best I got was 10% off..didn't ask for more as I wasn't gonna commit on the spot so dun wanna be chao kuan..think another 1-2% is possible..is this considered a good/normal discount? If I was offered 15% i would prolly have shown him the money! Haha! At this rates it pretty close to what the grey dealers are selling..saw some going at $8.5k-$8.6K..so as my 1st Panerai I will go with AD..any bros can point me to an AD where I can get good discount? Or are the prices I got one of the best liao?

On a side note..tried the 388 also..very nice looking watch also..abit cheaper also but the strap changing abit harder and it wun be as versatile as the 312..hmm..

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X