X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Precaution of buying preowned watches

Hi guys,
    I'm new here, recently thinking of getting a preowned Pam,
    However reading through the forum ( can't remember which forum). There were cases like ppl bought a preowned piece, when they sent in for service and found out the watch was reported as stolen.
    Anything we can do to secure ourself? Is there anyway for us to check before buying or can we transfer ownership?

Thanks In advance.

Hi and welcome

With regards to your queries, any kind of transaction will come with certain risk involved. If you are intending to make such a purchase, it is best to deal at a place where you can verify the watch and at the same time, do the transaction when everything has been proven authentic. If you read on and search the forum for relevant information, you should have no problem understanding it.

Happy reading
    The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

You may consider reading the following 2 threads in the Rolex Concierge

Rolex Buying Guide

Things to look out for .......

the safest way i feel for buying a pre own pam to ally your fears is to meet the seller @ Richemont and send in the watch for a service. if the watch is reported stolen, hopefully Richemont is aware of it and can inform you accordingly.

usually what i would like if possible is get the seller to photocopy the original sales receipt. certain information may be blank out for privacy purposes such as name/address/price/etc. usually a sales receipt will have the watch serial number written on it. so if that sales receipt is pass on, at least it can give the next buyer some form of insurance. but chances of this happening is LOW or should i say negligible.

Originally posted by one2ten View Post
      Hi guys,
      However reading through the forum ( can't remember which forum). There were cases like ppl bought a preowned piece, when they sent in for service and found out the watch was reported as stolen.
      Anything we can do to secure ourself? Is there anyway for us to check before buying or can we transfer ownership?

Thanks In advance.
      if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
      1. subject heading indicating your issue
      2. your nick
      3. your corresponding email address
      4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

Thanks both triton and oceanklassik for the speedy reply.
        Because this shall be my first expensive watch purchase (>$10k), I just don't want it ended up been confiscate when send in for servicing next time... ( will richemont do that?)
        Maybe Im just worrying too much

Comment

Hi guys,

Thanks In advance.
          not local forum i presumed...if local, cases like this is rare. If it's local, what happened at the service centre after they found out the watch was reported stolen?

Originally posted by Oceanklassik View Post
          Hi and welcome

With regards to your queries, any kind of transaction will come with certain risk involved. If you are intending to make such a purchase, it is best to deal at a place where you can verify the watch and at the same time, do the transaction when everything has been proven authentic. If you read on and search the forum for relevant information, you should have no problem understanding it.

Happy reading
          not every seller, including myself have the time to go wait at the service centre for authentication result or service quote. Remember when i sold you my nos GMT MASTER, they (RSC) told you to go back after afew hours. Luckily my projects were in orchard area, and i could swing back to meet you at RSC. Yeah i don't even know your name back than hahahaa
          hay did you sense i almost didnt wanna to sell you my watch...but was moved by your sincerity!

Comment

You may want to get the seller to sign this form:

Purchase and Sale Agreement
            This agreement is made this ____x____October_________, _200x___ between Seller _____________________ IC no #______________________ and
            Buyer, Fernando Torres, IC no# S09H
            Seller agrees to sell and buyer agrees to buy the following described watch together with all accessories, certificates, warranty booklets and boxes described below:

Watch: Rolex GOLD Watch. Model No: 123456 F-series Serial Number: ____x______

Description:x
            Accessories included.
            Purchase Price $500.00 Singapore Dollar
            The purchase price to be paid as follows:
            1. CASH MONEY of SGD 500.00 to be paid and upon acceptance by seller. The buyer will take watch subject to the authentication by Servicing Centre on condition that the watch is certified genuine to the buyer:
            2. CONDITION OF WATCH AND ACCESSORIES: Seller warrants that the watch and all mechanical parts and appliances will be in good working order at purchase. Buyer will have access to watch for inspection and the cost of any needed repairs will be paid by buyer after purchase.
            3. DEFAULTS: If seller defaults, buyer may pursue all remedies allowed by law and seller agrees to be responsible for all costs incurred by buyer as a result of sellers default.
            4. ADDITIONAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS:
            __________________________________________________ ________________________________________
            The undersigned have read the above information, understand it and verify that it is correct.
            __________________________________________________ ________________________________________
            Seller:
            Buyer
            I google it
            I own a Rolex !

Comment

Originally posted by Paneraii View Post

I google it
              if you the seller, would you sign this agreement or contract?

Comment

In my view, it depend where you buy the watch and what price,
                If someone offer you an expensive watch at food court with very attractive price there's
                of course very risky and you dont know where the watch come from but
                if you buy from our forum or someone familiar or pre-own shop unlikely this scenario will happen.
                Lastly, it's good to spend additional $107 to RSC if it make you sleep well. No offend please.

Comment

Nothing to 100% secure ourselves when buying preowned. There are always risk involved in buying preowned. Always look out for full boxed set, certificate, a bonus if comes along with offical invoice. Make sure the serial number on watch telly with the certificate, stickers and box. Can't have all this if the watch is stolen.

I think u also need to worry about fakes in the market. As Panerai fakes are getting better and better. I will avoid no box and no papers thread unless you got knowledge checking yourself which i don't (No offence to those bro selling no box no papers) Most important, buy the seller! Look out for suspicious answers from sellers!

Welcome to this poisonous community and happy searching for your watch!

Comment

Originally posted by Paneraii View Post

I google it
                    wow, this is most helpful indeed, have never come across my mind about this. thanks a lot for shedding light
                    maybe can tweak a little, ie. agree transfer of possession
                    Originally posted by louie View Post
                    if you the seller, would you sign this agreement or contract?
                    of course, we are not trying to be 以小人之心 to judge other, no offence really
                    after all, we are paying so much money.

Originally posted by vellefire View Post
                    In my view, it depend where you buy the watch and what price,
                    If someone offer you an expensive watch at food court with very attractive price there's
                    of course very risky and you dont know where the watch come from but
                    if you buy from our forum or someone familiar or pre-own shop unlikely this scenario will happen.
                    Lastly, it's good to spend additional $107 to RSC if it make you sleep well. No offend please.
                    authentication should not be an issue if we are buying in house movement model right?
                    my real concern is what if a seller sold the watch, regret afterwards and report police as stolen/lost...etc?
                    Originally posted by Zhi_Peng View Post
                    Nothing to 100% secure ourselves when buying preowned. There are always risk involved in buying preowned. Always look out for full boxed set, certificate, a bonus if comes along with offical invoice. Make sure the serial number on watch telly with the certificate, stickers and box. Can't have all this if the watch is stolen.

I think u also need to worry about fakes in the market. As Panerai fakes are getting better and better. I will avoid no box and no papers thread unless you got knowledge checking yourself which i don't (No offence to those bro selling no box no papers) Most important, buy the seller! Look out for suspicious answers from sellers!

ya, totally agree, maybe i just worry too much
                    thanks for the reply guys

Comment

Bought my Pam second hand recently
                      What I did was ask seller to send me photo of warranty card
                      Then confirm it's an authorised boutique
                      Then google n get email address
                      Email the boutique regarding the watch (series n no. On watch n movement number)
                      Then also if there is original invoice or sales receipt, email that over and authorised dealer can confirm if there was actually such a trade
                      Haves
                      Pam 25
                      Pam 328
                      Omega Speedmaster Professional Moonwatch - Apollo 11 "40th anniversary" limited edition
                      Sinn Regulateur 6100
                      Rolex Explorer II ref 216570
                      IWC Top Gun pilot 44mm ref W378901
                      Rolex Daytona 116520
                      Rolex Tudor Mini-Sub ref 73090
                      Cartier Santos 100 Stainless Steel Large W20073X8
                      JLC Reverso 976
                      Tudor Heritage Black Bay Bronze
                      IWC Portugese 7 day blue dial

Wants
                      AP ROO Panda
                      ALS Lange 1 (+/-moon phase)
                      PP Nautilus Annual Calendar

Comment

That's a very smart move and good thing is they are willing to entertain your email.

Comment

Originally posted by Zhi_Peng View Post

good move, for Roleks yesh got full set the best but for Pams i will be extra cautious cos there are fake boxes booklets and warranty cards. So far i nvr seen a fake Rolek card yet...

wow, this is most helpful indeed, have never come across my mind about this. thanks a lot for shedding light

authentication should not be an issue if we are buying in house movement model right?
                          my real concern is what if a seller sold the watch, regret afterwards and report police as stolen/lost...etc?

i'm buyer myself too, and i had the same worries as you before. Go chk out the FAQ on this forum, or read out more abt what to expect. Comm with the seller, prior to meet up to avoid any possible misunderstanding.

If it's solid case back you will need to have it pop open to chk for it's movt nos. Your concern is no concern at all , seller's remorse!? Simply offer the new owner a price to buy back, no success than buy back the same model frm the open market lor. Report POLICE, why in the world got to do that not only getting the innocent buyer into problem but seller himself ended got charged for false statement and end up polishing bars...

Originally posted by ichiban View Post
                          Bought my Pam second hand recently
                          What I did was ask seller to send me photo of warranty card
                          Then confirm it's an authorised boutique
                          Then google n get email address
                          Email the boutique regarding the watch (series n no. On watch n movement number)
                          Then also if there is original invoice or sales receipt, email that over and authorised dealer can confirm if there was actually such a trade
                          i'm surprised too, that bt replied you with so much details! If im the seller i would nvr email the scan of the warranty's card to a complete stranger why? 2 reasons below,

1. I dont know you, what if you are frm the rep factory? Than the next moment i see my BB nos all over the places...(BB nos are like PAMs ID)
                          2. I wouldnt wish to let the bt or my AD know i listed my watch for sale.

Comment

hi one2ten, dont worry lah i have nvr heard a single case abt seller's remorse and resort to making false statement to the POLICE to sabo the buyer....lah!

Comment

ya, i guess SG should be safer compare with other country.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X