Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New PAM

Hi there...

Been surfing these forums (and a few others) as an anonymous viewer for past few months, decided to register myself here finally as I feel this group is the most balanced group of watch lovers (knowlegeable but not snobbish).

I just got into the act of loving luxury watches - I knew this day would come sooner or later, but was putting it off for as long as I can (I know it would be a slippery slope of no return).

Started admiring IWCs, then people tell me must get Rolex, etc.... Then I started looking at Panerai and you know, the bug bit me and wouldn't let go.

So here I am.... First purchase a PAM 356! (and fingers crossed a 183 from Europe on the way to arrive by X'mas)

Anyways.... I'm kinda puzzled with something, and being new to owning such costly babies. The AD I bought the 356 from told me that with such watches, try not to use the Chronograph function. Is more or less "for show".

You guys know anything about that? Kinda bummed.... I love how chronos run around the dial, always been a chrono lover (explains why I went with a busy chrono instead of a DNA PAM for a 1st watch).

Advise seniors?

Congrats on your 1st luxury timepiece! Though I don't own any PAM, it's a good brand with good quality watches. I do prefer Rolex though.

Anyway, you should not worry about using the Chrono, only remember to stop and reset when you are done. Don't let it run continuously as that may affect the watch's power reserve and may wear off the mechanisms more. Just use it when you want and reset when it's done. Chronograph is so-called one of the complications, though by far, the simplest and affordable complication features, as compared to moon phase, minute repeaters etc.

Hope to see your posts of new watch and wishing your collection to grow! I believe the poison will creep you more and deep!

Comment

Originally posted by elyan View Post
      Hi there...

Been surfing these forums (and a few others) as an anonymous viewer for past few months, decided to register myself here finally as I feel this group is the most balanced group of watch lovers (knowlegeable but not snobbish).

I just got into the act of loving luxury watches - I knew this day would come sooner or later, but was putting it off for as long as I can (I know it would be a slippery slope of no return).

Started admiring IWCs, then people tell me must get Rolex, etc.... Then I started looking at Panerai and you know, the bug bit me and wouldn't let go.

So here I am.... First purchase a PAM 356! (and fingers crossed a 183 from Europe on the way to arrive by X'mas)

Anyways.... I'm kinda puzzled with something, and being new to owning such costly babies. The AD I bought the 356 from told me that with such watches, try not to use the Chronograph function. Is more or less "for show".

You guys know anything about that? Kinda bummed.... I love how chronos run around the dial, always been a chrono lover (explains why I went with a busy chrono instead of a DNA PAM for a 1st watch).

Advise seniors?

I would not have bought the watch if the AD said that comment to me.

You should be safe with the PAM 356, the base chronograph movement is reliable and you can play around with the chrono functions. The orange lume on the 356 dial makes it different from other Daylight models.

Comment

Originally posted by breitling77 View Post
        Congrats on your 1st luxury timepiece! Though I don't own any PAM, it's a good brand with good quality watches. I do prefer Rolex though.

Anyway, you should not worry about using the Chrono, only remember to stop and reset when you are done. Don't let it run continuously as that may affect the watch's power reserve and may wear off the mechanisms more. Just use it when you want and reset when it's done. Chronograph is so-called one of the complications, though by far, the simplest and affordable complication features, as compared to moon phase, minute repeaters etc.

Hope to see your posts of new watch and wishing your collection to grow! I believe the poison will creep you more and deep!
        Thanks!

Yeah the poison is indeed very deep. Haven't wear the 356 I already ask someone heading to Italy to "tompang" the 183 for me. This is bad.

Originally posted by leeye View Post
        I would not have bought the watch if the AD said that comment to me.

You should be safe with the PAM 356, the base chronograph movement is reliable and you can play around with the chrono functions. The orange lume on the 356 dial makes it different from other Daylight models.
        leeye, you meant you would not buy if the AD said to you cos you agree that it is a lousy mechanism, or that the AD is lousy you wouldn't buy from him?

Comment

I suppose the AD was simply offering "friendly" advice on how not to wear out the watch movement by using the chrono function too often.

Welcome to the PAM-ily! Hope to see your 183 too!
          My madness so far :

Bell & Ross BR03-94 Phantom
          IWC 320104 Antoine de St Exupery Power Reserve - For Sale
          IWC 371701 Pilot's Chronograph
          IWC 500401 Big Pilot
          PAM26K Luminor Marina Left-handed Special Edition
          PAM233K Luminor 1950 8 Days GMT
          PAM190H Radiomir 8 Days
          Sinn UBlack

Comment

I am totally dumb when comes to chrono. i am more of basic guy. btw, congratulations on your purchaseSs! Pam 356, you have exquisite taste. faux patina dial. = )

chrono got pam daylight 250 too = )

It is great to have you join SGROC-Panerai craze club.
            I own a Rolex !

Comment

leeye, you meant you would not buy if the AD said to you cos you agree that it is a lousy mechanism, or that the AD is lousy you wouldn't buy from him?
              what i mean is that a good sales person would have good knowledge and advice about the product he is selling. and if he is confident enough, he will demonstrate to you how to fully make use of the chronograph functions, the sub dials and resetting the watch hands. once you get the hang of it it should be easy (it's like a stop watch). read thru the manual which should explain the funtions in details.

at the end of the day you have to do some basic research about the watch you are buying, watch lovers here are always willing to offer their advice (although sometimes opinions may vary).

Comment

Originally posted by Paneraii View Post
                I am totally dumb when comes to chrono. i am more of basic guy. btw, congratulations on your purchaseSs! Pam 356, you have exquisite taste. faux patina dial. = )

chrono got pam daylight 250 too = )

It is great to have you join SGROC-Panerai craze club.
                Cheers! It's great to be here too. Yeah the patina is what caught my attention too, and I thought the 250 was way busier looking on the dials than 356. I thought the 356 was really balanced with the complications of 3 sub dials and yet cleaner looking than all other chronographs in the Panerai line-up.
                If 356 is the only Daylight with the faux patina going forward for the series, I'd be a very proud owner of it for sure. Darn gorgeous.... And when it glows green, it is rather facinating as you wouldn't expect the colour difference.

Originally posted by leeye View Post
                what i mean is that a good sales person would have good knowledge and advice about the product he is selling. and if he is confident enough, he will demonstrate to you how to fully make use of the chronograph functions, the sub dials and resetting the watch hands. once you get the hang of it it should be easy (it's like a stop watch). read thru the manual which should explain the funtions in details.

at the end of the day you have to do some basic research about the watch you are buying, watch lovers here are always willing to offer their advice (although sometimes opinions may vary).
                Cheers mate, thanks for the tip! Yeah I owned several Seiko chronos before and the PAM is rather similiar in operation to my past watches in operation.

Hopefully some owners or knowlegeable Risti can verify the origin of such a "myth" about the chronos, if there is any truth in it.

Comment

Welcome to the club, elyan:-) I am also a basic guy like Bro Paneraii. So I go for models with clean looks...hehe But not to worry too much about the chrono functions. I have a few watches (not PAM) with chrono functions and I have not had any problems with those watches.

Good choices on your watch. Wear them in good health.

Cheers
                  Don't worry, be happy

Comment

Welcome to hotel California, indeed this is a great site and I have learned alot from many sifus(mentor) here who are generous with their knowledge. Pam or rolex is a good choice to start, can't go wrong with either. Used to have a 212 and the valjoux based movement is tested and proven to be very reliable by many major watch brands. Just enjoy the watch but u can never leave...

Comment

Cheers! It's great to be here too. Yeah the patina is what caught my attention too, and I thought the 250 was way busier looking on the dials than 356. I thought the 356 was really balanced with the complications of 3 sub dials and yet cleaner looking than all other chronographs in the Panerai line-up.
                      If 356 is the only Daylight with the faux patina going forward for the series, I'd be a very proud owner of it for sure. Darn gorgeous.... And when it glows green, it is rather facinating as you wouldn't expect the colour difference.
                      You are pretty spot on there = ) 356 is balanced. Panerai didn't seem to put a foot wrong in 2010-11 = )
                      I own a Rolex !

Comment

Congrats! As to the chrono "advice", that's nonsense! Use the chrono function as much, as often, and as long as you want (just don't operate any pushers underwater). In fact, all chronos is supposed to be run a couple of days every month to keep the oils even. A watch mechanism is designed to run continuously (hence perpetual calender watches). With an automatic movement, running the chrono continuously should NOT make any difference as far as the power reserve is concerned -- unless you do very little physical activities in your day job (in which case, simply wind it 20 - 40x each night).

Comment

Originally posted by Jinks View Post
                          I suppose the AD was simply offering "friendly" advice on how not to wear out the watch movement by using the chrono function too often.

Welcome to the PAM-ily! Hope to see your 183 too!
                          tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc......

Arrrgggghhh... Still no news on my 183 from Milan yet. Ai ki siao liao!!!
                          Fingers crossed I have the bestest X'mas surprise to date ever....

tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc......

Comment

Super sian..... Friend returned from Milan.... Cannot get me the 183.

I buay koon last night.

To ease my pain maybe I go by Visiotime later buy a couple of straps for my 356 ba.

Comment

Congrats on the 356, I have one and it's carjacking watch. Purchased it in a spontaneous trade and glad that I did. Enjoy...

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X