X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Automatic or manual winding

Hi,

Need some advise from senior here.

Why do you guy choose manual winding over automatic?

For manual winding, how long can 1 winding last?

For automatic, what is the standard power reserve for PAM?

Thanks.

Some peeps just like the kick they get out of winding the watch...hehe.It sort of like give you a vintage feel that the watch is old:-)

Manual winding usually last about 56 hours for one full wind. There are models that last 8 days like the 233 and 289.

For automatic, it depends on the model that you purchase. There are those that last you 42 hours, 3 days or even 10 days.

You can log on to Officine Panerai website for more info on the different models available.

Hope the above helps.

Cheers
    Don't worry, be happy

Comment

There are many reasons to why people make such choices. Dannyboyz has given you one of them. Another reason I can think of is the watch model one wants only comes in manual wind so no choice. As for the power reserve on both movements, it should be specific to each watch model I guess.
      The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

manual winding with a longer power reserve is preferred for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Dannyboyz View Post
          Some peeps just like the kick they get out of winding the watch...hehe.It sort of like give you a vintage feel that the watch is old:-)

Manual winding usually last about 56 hours for one full wind. There are models that last 8 days like the 233 and 289.

For automatic, it depends on the model that you purchase. There are those that last you 42 hours, 3 days or even 10 days.

You can log on to Officine Panerai website for more info on the different models available.

Hope the above helps.

Cheers
          Thanks bro Dannyboyz for the advise.

Presently, I own 2 automatic n 1 quartz watch. Never own a manual winding watch..

Actually, was looking at PAM005.. Something affordable for manual winding watch. And this will be my very 1 PAM to purchase.

Afraid will regret after buying..

Anyway, will do more research on PAM watches.

Comment

Hi Bro, you won't regret, i got myself 2 Pams one with manual winding and one automatic, suspect you will go this way.
            Once you get stung by the poison... you won't end there, trust me..

Comment

Originally posted by benade View Post
              Thanks bro Dannyboyz for the advise.

Presently, I own 2 automatic n 1 quartz watch. Never own a manual winding watch..

Actually, was looking at PAM005.. Something affordable for manual winding watch. And this will be my very 1 PAM to purchase.

Afraid will regret after buying..

Anyway, will do more research on PAM watches.
              If you like the watch, manual winding or automatic winding doesn't matter. some more manual wind don't need to worry about putting it in the winder. a lot of good movements are manual wind.

Comment

I'd like to think of manual winding as "giving life" to a watch =)
                My madness so far :

Bell & Ross BR03-94 Phantom
                IWC 320104 Antoine de St Exupery Power Reserve - For Sale
                IWC 371701 Pilot's Chronograph
                IWC 500401 Big Pilot
                PAM26K Luminor Marina Left-handed Special Edition
                PAM233K Luminor 1950 8 Days GMT
                PAM190H Radiomir 8 Days
                Sinn UBlack

Comment

My pleasure, bro benade;-)

No worries. You will never regret buying a PAM whether manual or automatic. I own a mix of automatic and manual winding PAMs. And I love them all.... Once you have the first one, more will be coming...hahaha. Not to mention, you can still play wif the strap (which is another addiction).

A PAM000 or PAM005 will be a good start. Or you can go for a PAM104 or PAM48 for automatic:-)

Cheers
                  Don't worry, be happy

Comment

My pleasure, bro benade;-)

No worries. You will never regret buying a PAM whether manual or automatic. I own a mix of automatic and manual winding PAMs. And I love them all.... Once you have the first one, more will be coming...hahaha. Not to mention, you can still play wif the strap (which is another addiction).

A PAM000 or PAM005 will be a good start. Or you can go for a PAM104 or PAM48 for automatic:-)

Cheers
                    Hi bro Dannyboyz,

Thanks again for your useful advise..

Will look into these few watches that you recommend.

Btw, is it cheaper to get a PAM in HK or Europe as I will be going to HK next week and my mother in law going to Europe next week also?

Cheers[/QUOTE]

Comment

Bro,

The pleasure is all mine:-)

If you plan to buy a few, can buy preowned. Price will be much cheaper.

Just went to HK recently, price has went up by a lot due to appreciation of Chinese yuan:-( For some models, the price is much more expensive than the price you pay in Singapore (grey market). But I am talking about licensed watch dealers. Did not go to PAM boutique during that trip. Logically speaking, the prices from licensed dealers will be cheaper than the PAM boutiques. Personally, think it will be cheaper to purchase in Europe because of the low exchange rate and tax rebate. I bought my PAM321 in Paris at a good price. FYI, no tax rebate in HK. You can also consider buying from bros in the PAM garage. Prices can be very competitive as well:-)

Cheers

Cheers
                      Don't worry, be happy

Comment

Bro,

The pleasure is all mine:-)

If you plan to buy a few, can buy preowned. Price will be much cheaper.

Just went to HK recently, price has went up by a lot due to appreciation of Chinese yuan:-( For some models, the price is much more expensive than the price you pay in Singapore (grey market). But I am talking about licensed watch dealers. Did not go to PAM boutique during that trip. Logically speaking, the prices from licensed dealers will be cheaper than the PAM boutiques. Personally, think it will be cheaper to purchase in Europe because of the low exchange rate and tax rebate. I bought my PAM321 in Paris at a good price. FYI, no tax rebate in HK. You can also consider buying from bros in the PAM garage. Prices can be very competitive as well:-)

Cheers

Cheers
                        Bro,

Thanks for your adviser again.

Some of my friends ask me to go for Rolex rather than PAM.. Saying that the resale value is better.

Is that true?

Do you have any idea which Pam model is the cheapest in the automatic segment?

Prefer to purchase from either local AD or oversees AD.

Comment

Bro,

You are most welcome.

It depends on the models that you are buying. If you want high resale value, then you must buy limited edition models no matter what the brand is. Take the example of PAM 390 that is on sale in the market. If you buy normal models, then you will not be able to command a high resale value because everyone is having it and you can get it anytime from ADs.

For automatic models, you can go for PAM104 for a start. But if you don't plan to keep the watch for long, suggest you get a preowned instead. Much cheaper.

As mentioned earlier, you can buy from reputable seller in the forum at a competitive price. I bought a few watches myself personally. But if you are not comfortable buying from resellers, then buy from ADs:-)

Cheers
                          Don't worry, be happy

Comment

Rolex easier to sell off, more liquid as more popular. How often do you see shops selling rolex - preowned compare to other brands? If you ask me, get both! You need some variety oso Ma...
                            Current babies:
                            Sub 16610LN D series
                            PAM 312 M series
                            IWC 500112 Laureus Limited Edition

Wish list:
                            116613LB?
                            a good White dial watch

Comment

My friends say i dumb, throw $$ at a PAM. Should have bought Rolex.
                              My ans to them: I buy to wear and not buy as investment....

Buy what u like, not what retains value better
                              Itchy for:
                              Pam 351

First Team Players:
                              Zenith Chronomaster power reserve
                              Bvlgari Octo
                              IWC 3777-01
                              Rollie 116610LN

SuperSubs:
                              Omega Speedmaster Olympic Edition
                              Blumo

Once was Itching for them: