Nav Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse

Nav Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why many PAM owners don't use the OEM leather strap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why many PAM owners don't use the OEM leather strap?

I have observed that many PAM owners don't use the OEM leather strap at all, and have been wondering why it is so. I guess one of the reasons is that they want to keep the straps unused so that it is easier to resell when the time comes? The other reason could be that they genuinely feel that the many 3rd party straps out there are nicer then the OEM strap? Or a combination of both?

I have seen a few times people bought exactly the same OEM leather strap that they already have when they bought their PAM - this must be due to the first reason I mentioned above, but I can't understand such behaviour.

What do you say?
    Watches are like potato chips - You never stop at one

Never political, seldom diplomatic, always honest

Good morning Mr pegasi

An interesting topic I'd asked before here but it's ok. Let's share. I was, too, curious like you when I had my PAM and what I gathered when I asked around was mainly the fact on re-selling, ie to have a higher chance of selling the watch & probably, a higher resale price.

The other reasons are, apart from what you've mentioned,

- very small wrists (OEM size also cannot use);
    - non-OEM straps are nicer & there is variety;
    - non-OEM straps are cheaper; and
    - one can have a collection in colours & textures & designs.

From observations over time, I think this is not unique to just PAM owners. As long as one is into buying & flipping watches, he/she tend to prefer to keep the original straps (or bracelets) new, so that the resale is better.

The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Originally posted by Oceanklassik View Post
      Good morning Mr pegasi

An interesting topic I'd asked before here but it's ok. Let's share. I was, too, curious like you when I had my PAM and what I gathered when I asked around was mainly the fact on re-selling, ie to have a higher chance of selling the watch & probably, a higher resale price.

The other reasons are, apart from what you've mentioned,

- very small wrists (OEM size also cannot use);
      - non-OEM straps are nicer & there is variety;
      - non-OEM straps are cheaper; and
      - one can have a collection in colours & textures & designs.

From observations over time, I think this is not unique to just PAM owners. As long as one is into buying & flipping watches, he/she tend to prefer to keep the original straps (or bracelets) new, so that the resale is better.

What a detailed ansewer. +1 Totally agreed. For me , its the length. This is one area i cant figure out from OP.

Comment

I did hear that resale price would be higher if the OEM strap is not used. BUt i always tht its more of a matter of preference cos 3rd party straps can be customised to how the wearer wants it.
        I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch.........

Comment

I wear the oem calf and croc. But instead of using every oem that comes with each watch, I move my used oem to whichever wTch I want to mount.

Main reason many people prefer aftermarket straps is due to more variety (style and length and thickness) and they actually don't cost as much to replace than oem.

If oem is used and it's time to sell, many buyers prefer new straps (cos old straps got the sweat smell of previous user) and he seller will need to buy a new strap to sweeten the deal.

Comment

Originally posted by LUKE View Post
            What a detailed ansewer. +1 Totally agreed. For me , its the length. This is one area i cant figure out from OP.
            Bro, you must be having a quite small wrist...something like 6"?

Comment

hehehe..cannot contribute much....bo lui buy pam...hehehehe
              Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak

Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen

Quoted from Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by KuchingKu View Post
                If oem is used and it's time to sell, many buyers prefer new straps (cos old straps got the sweat smell of previous user) and he seller will need to buy a new strap to sweeten the deal.
                Sure buyers will prefer to have new/unused strap if the price between one with used and one with unused strap are the same. But from I have seen, those being sold with unused strap usually command a higher price, so in the end the buyer pay for what they get.

For me if I would also love to have one with unused strap, but if I can save $200-$300 in buying a set that come with a 80%-90% used strap I would go for the latter.

Comment

Originally posted by feilong108 View Post
                  hehehe..cannot contribute much....bo lui buy pam...hehehehe
                  Not bo lui, just that you chose to put your lui in other watches mah...dun gay gay har

Comment

So far, i have no interest in OEM Pam Straps...other than the JV...hehehe....prefer aftermarket ammo straps and dive straps!!!!hehehehe...Oops...
                    Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak

Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen

Quoted from Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

I would beg to differ, OEM original Panerai leather is the only leather these 3 wear:

Comment

i for one love the original straps, BUT they too short for my fat wrist... need to buckle at 2nd last hole on a standard 115 straps... so have to go for after market 135 straps, if not cannot see the tail...

Comment

I like thicker leather straps, thus have to go to 3rd party. Plus, many nice 3rd party straps out there at cheaper price.

However, I do like the original rubber strap, cant find any rubber strap that nicer than it!

Comment

Personally, I prefer wearing my Pams on OEM straps (prob'ly also because I prefer to use deployant buckles with my watches and unless they're custom-made, third-party straps that work with the OEM deployants are hard to come by) ...

Also love some OEM straps (e.g. JV, buffalo, etc.) whose finishings are pretty 'unique' ...
                            运筹帷幄 决胜千里

Comment

I prefer aftermarket straps cos I like to individualise my watch hee hee
                              Check out my Amateur Watch Blog @ http://parte-di-tempo.blogspot.sg/

tsetse the fly hard to make more $$$ so can buy more timepieces

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X