Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting that first strap

Hi,

I need experts here to recommend good and affordable watch straps for pam. New is preferred. The reason I am seeking recommendations is because there are just too many straps and strap-makers to choose, and many are expensive. And it seems most are from overseas. I still prefer to see, feel and touch what I am going to buy, especially when it does not come cheap. My wrist size shld be 'small', so I am not sure what is the correct sizing for a strap to fit my wrist.

I have placed reservation for a pam and I hope to acquire a third-party strap to use. The lug size I am looking at are 24mm and 26mm.

Tx.

The Crown Of Achievement

If you only want local, then try JnS. I have no problems buying from overseas vendors as their price, variety & quality are better in my opinion. Almost all strap makers (local and overseas) allow customisation of length, colour, etc.

Comment

Tx for the response. I'm not sure if I'm willing to spend hundreds of dollars on a leather strap. This thing has been bothering me - I simply can't understand how a watch strap can be so expensive as compared to a waist belt. The amount of material used for a watch strap is definitely much lesser than a belt, right?

Maybe I haven't learnt how to appreciate yet.

The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

kinda understand your position. To spend a $200-$300 for a strap, and you may need 3-4 straps will cost almost $1,000. Kinda scary to think straps alone is 20-30% of the timepiece on your wrist,,,,,,,

but then again, nice fitting, bold colours and customised design straps do make you and your watch stands out since you already forked out a chunk for that special watch,,,,,,,,

what for the 1st bite of strap poison,,,,,

(i refused to be poisoned by pam yet)

Comment

i would suggest that you start off with the lower priced ones such as 150 and below. this will give you a feel what the feel and leather is at such pricing.

since you prefer to touch and feel, i would suggest you purchase them from JnS, Ant (local strap makers) or buy from the lower priced ones from horologyfanatic, counting-time. Why? This is because you will be able to hold the strap and compare with a few others.

You may also meet the local strap sellers and ask them if it is possible to meet for no obligation purchase.
          if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
          1. subject heading indicating your issue
          2. your nick
          3. your corresponding email address
          4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

i have tried many straps,and i must say good strap dun come cheap. My recommendation to start off is Greg's steven,than Simonas. They my fav,and no regrets. Another of my fav before i miss is Zeugma... They're top notch in workmanship,thick quality leather and yet comfy to wear..

Comment

I agree wholeheartedly with Louie. Gd straps dun come cheap. But there are those that are great value for money, though they are by no means cheap, rather they are slightly cheaper but u get a great looking and comfy strap that do not fall apart easily.

One that i have tried and will recommend anytime is wotancraft. His X Flottiglia straps has the vintage, rugged look that feels really soft and wearable all day long. ( http://www.wotancraft.com/home.htm)

another strap that u wun regret buying is Ted su's gators. I have only tried his babyhorn straps. Looks great and feels very soft and goes on the wrist very nicely unlike two of simona's gator which I feel is more stiff. Dat said, I have to clarify dat although simona's gators feels stiffer, it has more character and the workmanship is really good.

Comment

aiya missed out James! thanks bro coltagious mentioned wotancraft but hor the price is very close to Greg's steven and zeugma...nevertheless this are the few really good strapmakers,and imo value for money. Best of all,can custom longger tail...

Comment

Originally posted by Oceanklassik View Post
                  Tx for the response. I'm not sure if I'm willing to spend hundreds of dollars on a leather strap. This thing has been bothering me - I simply can't understand how a watch strap can be so expensive as compared to a waist belt. The amount of material used for a watch strap is definitely much lesser than a belt, right?

Maybe I haven't learnt how to appreciate yet.

haha,bro you must know something.The smaller the item the harder it is to make as it require more effort and workmanship in making it.Hehe,if not we will be collecting or buying clock instead of watches liao.hehe.
                  累了才放慢脚步; 错了才想到后悔;苦了才懂得满足;伤了 才明白坚强; 醉了才知道难忘 ; 笑了才体会美丽!

是否我沉默了,你才能听到我的心声?是否我停止了,你才能看到我的眼泪?是否我心碎了,你才会摸到我的心痛?是否我消失了,你才会知道我的存在?

Comment

Unfortunately it's supply and demand... Buying a leather belt costs less than a leather watch strap.

Comment

Hey guys, tx for sharing. I think the appropriate size for my tiny wrist should be 115-75mm. But it seems the US sites like strapmaster/culture, do not have this size. Nevermind will try other sites.

Tx again.

The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Originally posted by Oceanklassik View Post
                        Hey guys, tx for sharing. I think the appropriate size for my tiny wrist should be 115-75mm. But it seems the US sites like strapmaster/culture, do not have this size. Nevermind will try other sites.

Tx again.

usually, 115/75 is nicer for oem and dressier straps which fits with just a small tail protruding. These are usually thinner than most aftermarket straps. You might wanna try 75/130 or 75/125 for any strap that measures 4mm or more in thickness. Also, for a rugged strap, having a tail looks much nicer imo :-)

Btw, most strap makers should be willing to an order to your required size, you can even specify how many hole you wan to punch and where to punch the holes. Wotancraft did one for me :-)

Comment

World of straps !!! Till date, I see tons of straps offered by makers around the world .They flood the market to spoil us from exotic animal skin to common caif . They also supply is rainbow colors to mix match our belove watches especially on Panerai.
                          When we say or refer Pam as tool watch, r we just saying it look like one or built like one. My advise is u be more happy person just to treat them just like any other luxury timepieces out there LoL !! Many of tis modern high end brands were nothing more than just a myth I dare say.
                          The only real tough watch from inside out is still from Rolex Sport collection.... They look best in bracelet of course. But come to Panerai love... We 99% go for the strap model. So how good & tough does the strap maker offer to our Pam. If u wan comfy , u loose toughness. Viceverses .
                          A good strap not only can serve us many years & look even better when age well over time. I pay to learn on my many strap purchase. Nothing come tough as Dirk's Sea waterproof type , Dino Zei kodiak & MF vintage . I done few stress test on them & tis 3 scored wif flying colors !! What stress test am I talking here ?? It lift up 10kg dumbbell wif no sweat!! Some other make can supply wif tough as elephant skin shown here ... But hor very sad thing happen

So my conclusion here is alway take note how well the stitching & where it were stitch " Sorry for the long read ! Cheers

Comment

Fellow pam lovers, what about Mario Paci's waterproof straps have been contemplating to get one of those. Is it as tough

Comment

Originally posted by michi0301 View Post
                              Fellow pam lovers, what about Mario Paci's waterproof straps have been contemplating to get one of those. Is it as tough
                              Look closely on 2 most important area.The stitching at lug area to secure those tube/screw. # My pic . shown the strap fail me & give way around the buckle end.And tis will be the vita area cause high stress contact between strap Underskin pull by buckle everytime we mount on our wrist. Tis area required good strong join by sewing done only . Not some stupid clue over the keeper & sewin buckle !! Hop it help bro

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X