Nav Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse

Nav Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pre-V, Pre-A's, A's & B's PVD coating VS the current PVD/DLC coating...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre-V, Pre-A's, A's & B's PVD coating VS the current PVD/DLC coating...

I have seen and been involved in discussions regarding this subject on a few forums, the most recent concerning the PAM 26K vs the 28L. So with that talk about the early PVD vs the later PVD, I was discussing the issue with a recent acquaintance about it and this guy owns some Grails (201/A non matching dial, 202/A and a 203/A + some at least a Pre 9A but with the t swiss t dial) so he has obviously asked a few questions and researched about it and had a few answers about it.

Indeed the pre-V PVD coating is far different from today's DLC as they call it. Literature in fact states that the treatment on the cases of the pre-V PVDs is "antiscratch titanium nitride" and I presume that is a type of PVD treatment. Today's recipe at Richemont is DLC (and they are turning to ceramic) which gives a much darker and solid tone of black, and the surface is much smoother under the loupe. With the titanium nitride treatment the hue is pencil lead grey. The pre-As and As/ Bs each has a different PVD colour as Panerai continue to change/ refine their antiscratch coating technology. I had a friend who sent in his 195 for recoating last year and it came back solid black. It's hideous in my opinion and completely destroyed the watch despite being pristine. I have owned pre-A, A, and B PVD Panerais and believe me, once you go pre-V, there's no turning back.
    That, there is no doubt.

Originally posted by 5218-201/A View Post
    I have seen and been involved in discussions regarding this subject on a few forums, the most recent concerning the PAM 26K vs the 28L. So with that talk about the early PVD vs the later PVD, I was discussing the issue with a recent acquaintance about it and this guy owns some Grails (201/A non matching dial, 202/A and a 203/A + some at least a Pre 9A but with the t swiss t dial) so he has obviously asked a few questions and researched about it and had a few answers about it.

That, there is no doubt.
    Original PVD is always slightly diff from re-coating or after market coating.

I have gone A and that has caused me to lose interest in all L models. Thinking of going pre-A but scared that will make me lose interest in a lot of things. Not in the league to even think of Pre-V.
    Once you taste patina, you will never feel the same again.....very much like wine.

Comment

Originally posted by 5218-201/A View Post

That, there is no doubt.
      I wouldn't dare say PVD coating use in 93-94'
      on those Pre Vendome Marina Miliatre 202A ,Luminor Marina 203A. were better off than those modern DLC. Yes, agree they R tough if u r lucky as Dirk's 5218-203A. , to own one in best 316++ graded steel coated in PVD. In less metalogy way of speaking, the 316 stainless steel production on batches & source countries of 2-3rd world could be the real cultprit. It so convicing holding both 44mm Luminor of difference era. U can easily tell by their weight different. The approve 316 metal hardness to be ovened PVD/DLC treatment produce the least surface friction = Beter resistant to Scratch & Ding. My only wild guess is those supply to Richesmont for AB series production am9,4,26 & 28 were not 316 Steel of the equalivent. Maybe over / under metal mixture process done by new contract workers ?? Supplier compromising on cost
      issue for prices competitive ?? Who can tell ?

Comment

Originally posted by KuchingKu View Post
        Original PVD is always slightly diff from re-coating or after market coating.

I have gone A and that has caused me to lose interest in all L models. Thinking of going pre-A but scared that will make me lose interest in a lot of things. Not in the league to even think of Pre-V.
        Once you taste patina, you will never feel the same again.....very much like wine.

Some Pre A's are now roughly the same or just above the price of a Pre-V 5218-301/A. I have an offer pending for an almost mint Pre 4A for 17.5K Euro. Now days that is roughly the price but I am still holding out for a Pre 9A.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
        Working...
        X