FINALLY!!! (1St Pam)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FINALLY!!! (1St Pam)

After some anxious weeks of delays and waiting (including a last minute surprise LE number change), I am finally a Pamily man!

First let me say I'm not a WIS, and being a complete noob to Panerais, I think I'm just too uneducated to fully appreciate the simplicity of the base models which seem so popular with 1st time owners. I can't see myself getting a watch just because of its history or movement. The few watches I have, I bought because I like how it looks -- and most importantly, how I feel wearing it. Heck, I don't even mind a good quartz...

In the course of researching Pams, I read over and over how important it is NOT to settle and to "be patient and get the one you really desire". So, after a long thought I decided NOT to settle and I went and get my wife to buy me my grail... a brand new 193 Depth Gauge!

Sure, it's not the most popular Pam out there. But I dunno, from the very first time I laid eyes on it, it just... sings to me! When I was thinking about writing this "First Pam" post, I tried to come up with some logical reasons "Why the 193?". Is it because there's only 600 of 'em? Because it has a T-dial? Because it's got it's own category on Panerai.com? Because the 120m Depth Gauge IS actually certified & functional? (and yes, I do fully intend to dive with it)... At the end, I thought you know what? How can anyone RATIONALIZE plunking down multi-$K for a watch?? I got it because it puts a stupid grin on my face! Because it makes me FEEL HUGE JOY & HAPPINESS!! And yes, I do finally get how Panerais are not JUST a watch!! (-- as a matter of fact, the 193 is literally NOT a watch -- it's a "Professional Instrument" :grin: )

So, here's a few first impressions:

Having psyched myself up over the supposed heft & thickness of the 193 for a few weeks -- I was surprised how "mellow" the 193 actually wears on the wrist. Perhaps if you were expecting a dress watch, the thickness would shock you. But compared to many dive watches, the 193 is VERY refined indeed. Too, my first Breitling was an Emergency Mission, which is 44mm but almost as thick. I see absolutely no problem wearing this 193 as a daily wear on my 6.75" wrist.

Don't get me wrong, the 193 is certainly THE BEAST!! -- But maybe less "Frankenstein" and more Disney's "The Beast" wearing a tuxedo waltzing with The Beauty... if you know what I mean! Lol!

So I would like to thank first n foremost, my oh-so-lovely & generous wife, my future-bro-in-law whose Panerai bug I caught, and special mention to bro KC Chen who generously helped smooth my deal. I look forward to many, many, many strap changes (been busy... 15 and counting!)

Here's a few -- please excuse pics as I learn to take Risti style shots.

First is custom ++Ray++ Monster "Tongue of the Beast" Croco (what can I say, it IS a Subzilla, and Ray was willing to try my crazy idea...):

This one is custom Ray "Tail of the Beast" (horns are very soft)

Strap Cartel "Old Vintage":

Kwong Blue Croc:

Thanks for reading!

H2F

bro very very fierce looking pam you got there, e strap is really cool especially e first

Comment

WELCOME! Another risti had surfaced!!

indeed a very "fierce" pam.... Glad to have you on board! Risti from Indonesia!!

Comment

Looks good to me.
        Current Collection :

1) Rolex YG White Mother of Pearl Roman Dial Datejust 16018 (8 mil Serial)

2) Rolex YG Black Computer Roman Dial Datejust 16238 (L Serial)

3) Rolex TT Blue Submariner 16613LB (M Serial)

4) Rolex YG Red Vignette DayDate 18038 (8 mil Serial)

5) Rolex PT Pinkish White MOP DayDate 18206 (A Serial)

Comment

Woah, this Pam is indeed a beast. The thick "tongue of the beast" custom strap you have there matches it perfectly. Congratulations on a unique watch!

Watch Collection (click for photos!)
          Rolex Oyster Perpetual Datejust
          Tag Heuer Classic 2000 Limited Edition Red/Green Dial
          Seiko Titanium Samurai
          Omega Speedmaster 50th Anniversary Limited Series
          Panerai Luminor 1950 Marina 3 Days Automatic
          IWC Ingenieur
          Sinn U Black (THG Limited Edition)
          Chopard Gran Turismo XL Alfa Romeo (Limited Edition) (sold)
          Panerai Luminor 1950 Submersible 1000M
          IWC Portuguese Automatic

Comment

Nice watch, very nice!!!
            past collection
            Omega 3510.61,3520.50,3510.53,3510.50,3511.50,3513.50,35 21.30
            Rolex 1500,1601,1675,1680,5513,6426,6694,14060M,16234, 16523,16013,16570,16600,16613,16713,16800,16520,11 6523,116660,16610,16610lv

Comment

Originally posted by Starlight View Post
              Nice watch, very nice!!!
              Whaa bro, ur alien custom Ray can easlly frighten off small kid leh!!! But cool to show off on public Great shot too !!

Comment

Kwong blue croc...

Yeah... buy the PAM that you like.

I like the Kwong blue croc combo with jeans...

Good to have more Ristis in this corner.

Comment

Thanks BROS!!! Having a blast -- on my 6th strap in 2 days! Lol!

Serious question, possible for my lug screw holes to "wear out" from so many strap changes or not bros?

Comment

fierce is the word,,,,

did your kids ask you if the watch bites?

haha,,, great looking watch n straps

Comment

Originally posted by H2F View Post

Serious question, possible for my lug screw holes to "wear out" from so many strap changes or not bros?
                      Wear out?? No. Lah... Unlikely bro. It allow me to develop perfection..prepared for any screw job competition if held any in near future LOL!! Kekeke.Ur just have to be more careful dealing wif titanium screw. They might break inside cause by cross thread ...reason?? "Brittle" .

Comment

Nice watch and fierce straps!! Thanks for asking abt the screw question on behalf!

Comment

Bro, you screwing in and out of the holes, day and night??? With such strong drive to change straps that you worry that the holes may "wear out"?? Haha....

Serious answer, no, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by H2F View Post
                            Based on my wife's changing of straps for her Pam 49, I do not think it will happen.
                            Congrats on your monster pam!
                            "Once is happenstance, twice is coincidence,
                            three times is enemy action and
                            over 600 is clearly the work of an ancient Sumerian demon or some sh*t
                            ."

Comment

WOW WOW WOW... the straps look fantastic... especially the first one.... Simply mind-blowing....

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X