how to spot a fake.?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to spot a fake.?

i came across a friend's watch couple weeks ago.. he said he paid bout 4.5 for it, a pre-owned pam111. i looked at it w/o him taking it off.. &2things i noticed about it.. 1) e AR coating had a lil bluish tint(wasnt sure was it e light tho). 2) e pin holding the crown guard lever is rounded as compared to e flushed pin on mine. but i still cant be sure is it a rep, a fake or real.. &its a rep or a fake, how do i let him knw tt he's been conned..

Can always fork out some $$ and get it authenticated at Richemont. Remember - no point being penny wise, pound foolish.
    My madness so far :

Bell & Ross BR03-94 Phantom
    IWC 320104 Antoine de St Exupery Power Reserve - For Sale
    IWC 371701 Pilot's Chronograph
    IWC 500401 Big Pilot
    PAM26K Luminor Marina Left-handed Special Edition
    PAM233K Luminor 1950 8 Days GMT
    PAM190H Radiomir 8 Days
    Sinn UBlack

Comment

Originally posted by eight.bone View Post
      i came across a friend's watch couple weeks ago.. he said he paid bout 4.5 for it, a pre-owned pam111. i looked at it w/o him taking it off.. &2things i noticed about it.. 1) e AR coating had a lil bluish tint(wasnt sure was it e light tho). 2) e pin holding the crown guard lever is rounded as compared to e flushed pin on mine. but i still cant be sure is it a rep, a fake or real.. &its a rep or a fake, how do i let him knw tt he's been conned..

Ask him to send for a check. A piece of mind.

Comment

Don't quite understand this part "the pin holding the crown guard lever is rounded as compared to e flushed pin on mine"
        I own a Rolex !

Comment

to bro Jinks & sis patricia(i'm assuming u'r female):

if i ask him to send it to RSC & it turns out to be a rep or fake wldnt he get into trouble.?

to bro Paneraii:

there's a pin holding the crown guard & e locking mechinism for e winding&setting crown right.? tt pin if u look frm e top of e watch, its suppose to be flushed(flat) with e crown guard. but my friend's pin is rounded. like some screwheads have a flat head while others have a rounded head..

Comment

Ask for your friend to look at the movement behind. That should give more clues. What about all the papers?

I saw a person sitting next to me at a restaurant. Luminor with logo and sub-sec....ah Pam 5. Then, I notice got date also!

Comment

Originally posted by KuchingKu View Post
              Ask for your friend to look at the movement behind. That should give more clues. What about all the papers?

I saw a person sitting next to me at a restaurant. Luminor with logo and sub-sec....ah Pam 5. Then, I notice got date also!
              what shld he be looking for.? he claims tt he got everything, even e triple box.. but i havent seen them.. hahaha, my friend's 111 looks like e actual 111, painted dial..

Comment

For some reasons, it seems like you are not comfortable to tell him that it might be a fake.

Why don't you just leave it and leave the matter as it is.

He thinks he got a good deal for an original PAM111. It doesn't hurt you as well....

Imagine you tell him it is a fake, then he go authenticate. If it is real, he say you made him spend $85. If it is fake, he become miserable... It is a lose, lose situation....

Comment

i dont wana let him knw until i'm almost certain its a fake. i dont wana jump to a conclusion yet. but i wana find out more so i might be able to help him.

just dont wana gd friend to be cheated, i guess..

Comment

if i were u, i rather keep quiet than put the friendship on the line.

Comment

Originally posted by eight.bone View Post

1. You can't tell from the AR coating.

2. With full boxes and papers?
                      So far, all the reported fakes in forums come without papers, or/and boxes. This piece wld come with COSC and movement papers.

3. There are well made 111 replicas. No pixs.. it is "Zi shang tan bing".
                      I have sighted one physically in a shop. But no boxes nor papers.

Look at the sub-dial. And .. if u ever can, park it with an authentic 111, or fiver, and it is obvious. (NB: If u ever can...)

4. If you are looking for one, buying from a reputable shop is quite ok.

5. If all things fail, ask Robert Downey Jr...

Comment

111?....

Originally posted by golanheights View Post

So far, all the reported fakes in forums come without papers, or/and boxes. This piece wld come with COSC and movement papers.

Look at the sub-dial. And .. if u ever can, park it with an authentic 111, or fiver, and it is obvious. (NB: If u ever can...)

5. If all things fail, ask Robert Downey Jr...

To add to Point 4:

If you are looking for one, buying from the forum here should also be ok.
                        There are two sellers selling a 111 now in the house, and I think I have dealt with one. Ok.

Comment

i was searching online for some info&some mentioned e coating was diff.?idk..i'm still pretty new..

he did mention tt he got them when i asked, &i've come across some tt sell them separately or do have some sort of a packaged price.?

sorry, dont really understand, my chi not gd..

what about e sub dial.?

noted, not looking for one yet, not so soon at least. haha

5. If all things fail, ask Robert Downey Jr... :

Comment

to bro sinner:

i guess u'r right..

Comment

Tell him you wish to take some pics on your wrist for fun, then try to take a few other angles as well. The movement and the case back serial.

Chances it might be an older series.

But I've seen fakes in chinasquare with double boxes.

And I also know of people who bought fake and "bomb" real price.
                              People & Life Are Like Push-Up Bra. They Often Parade Themselves With A False Sense Of Being & Confidence. The Underlying Truth Are Often Much Less Tantalizing. - Benjamin L

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X