quick questions on pams..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• quick questions on pams..

heard alot of mention regarding Cape Cod's Polishing Cloths, but are they really THAT gd.? can some of the pam gurus enlighten how to use it & r there better options.? is using e Oakley Cloth bag ok for storage&cleaning of e watch.? is there any way to minimise dust frm settling on e bezel & glass in singapore.?

TIA

am a little confused on how e cloths wrk as there're ppl saying it causes swirl marks but some say it doesnt.. i just got a pam111 which has a mirror finish case, i've faced alot of difficulties maintaining it as i'm super new to watch maintainence..

how do u'll store ur watches at e end of e day.?
    how often do u wipe e case.?

thanks for any tips & advice in advance !!

Comment

It caused severe swirl marks on me 183

The prb bout Cape Cod is quality.
      Most are bad.
      Meaning some have hidden debris inside that will scratch ur steel.
      Never ever use it.
      It's oily & messy.

I use clothes provided by Greg Steven Design.
      They are high quality.
      Very clean.
      And works perfectly.

Comment

I'll testify to that.
        I used it on my pam ... left to right, left marks left to right. Then up and down, the marks changed to up and down.

... in the end I did what best i could, and left the hairline swirls alone.

Fred, any info about greg steven design?

Comment

Originally posted by eight.bone View Post
          am a little confused on how e cloths wrk as there're ppl saying it causes swirl marks but some say it doesnt.. i just got a pam111 which has a mirror finish case, i've faced alot of difficulties maintaining it as i'm super new to watch maintainence..

how do u'll store ur watches at e end of e day.?
          how often do u wipe e case.?

thanks for any tips & advice in advance !!

Actually should just leave the swirl marks and hairline alone, it may be painful at first but after a while, you'll get used to it. Cape Cod can remove some hairline but if not done properly, can be more harm than good. Just wear it until you want to sell or maybe after 3 years, get professional polishing which is only $80 - $120.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred_Tan View Post
            The prb bout Cape Cod is quality.
            Most are bad.
            Meaning some have hidden debris inside that will scratch ur steel.
            Never ever use it.
            It's oily & messy.

I use clothes provided by Greg Steven Design.
            They are high quality.
            Very clean.
            And works perfectly.
            wld e GSD cloths remove hairline scratches.?

Comment

No.

Ordinary cloth (no matter provided by who) only clean off fiingerprint marks and dirt. (Same for Oakley cloth).

Cape Cod works by 'rubbing' off metal finely with its content on the piece. Thus, it can 'polish' or 'even' out light scratches. However, due to its properties, it can also create or leave marks if not done correctly.

Alternative way to get rid of light hairlines is to send for polishing but too much polishing is worst than having hairlines.

Easiest is just to live with it. Every watch that is worn (no matter how carefully) regularly sure/should have light swirls and hairlines. No big deal.

Comment

Originally posted by KuchingKu View Post
                No.

Ordinary cloth (no matter provided by who) only clean off fiingerprint marks and dirt. (Same for Oakley cloth).

Cape Cod works by 'rubbing' off metal finely with its content on the piece. Thus, it can 'polish' or 'even' out light scratches. However, due to its properties, it can also create or leave marks if not done correctly.

Alternative way to get rid of light hairlines is to send for polishing but too much polishing is worst than having hairlines.

Easiest is just to live with it. Every watch that is worn (no matter how carefully) regularly sure/should have light swirls and hairlines. No big deal.
                i see..thanks for e explanations.. now gotta think what else cape cod cld be used in my hse since i alr bought it.. hahaha

anw, if i were to use a normal mircofiber cloth to absorb e polishing content of cape cod's cloth(e oily, creamy stuff) & use e same cloth to clean my case, wld it still "rub" off e metal on e case.?

Comment

Well, I have decided to keep my cape cod for polishing my seikos ... since those watches are generally not worth the expense of sending for a polish!

I actually did a decent job with one of my seikos ... starting with 3 different grades of find to super-fine sandpaper, then autosol ... silver polishing cloth and and then wiping it down. Now I'll add cape cod to the process I suppose.

Not perfect, but the case was notably less scratched up.
                  Just that an expensive watch is probably too big a risk. Now I learn that.

Comment

Originally posted by keltzar View Post
                    Well, I have decided to keep my cape cod for polishing my seikos ... since those watches are generally not worth the expense of sending for a polish!

I actually did a decent job with one of my seikos ... starting with 3 different grades of find to super-fine sandpaper, then autosol ... silver polishing cloth and and then wiping it down. Now I'll add cape cod to the process I suppose.

Not perfect, but the case was notably less scratched up.
                    Just that an expensive watch is probably too big a risk. Now I learn that.
                    well, i guess i kinda learnt it e hard way, as always..

anw, if i were to use a normal microfiber cloth to absorb e polishing content of cape cod's cloth(e oily, creamy stuff) & use e same cloth(e microfiber) to clean my case, wld it still "rub" off e metal on e case.?
                    Last edited by eight.bone; 14-12-09, 12:29 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X