X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ditto +1

Originally posted by patricia View Post
    Shake the watch and listen carefully,If it sounds like something is loose than you know its not genuine. That is the easiest and fastest way to check the watch.Try it with your genuine and you will not hear noisy sounds.
    Yes, I agree..Noise inside & outside can tell...but only if we care to do it...sometimes we are just too trusting.

There are cases of real watches with real case, backplate & link had fake dials to increase its value being passed as genuine in Singapore very own service ctrs and then rejected by Antiquorum years later.

Many of the newer techs in these svcs ctrs have not seen some rare and older dials b4.
    The old birds who knew have left for other brands or retired.
    These svcs ctrs for many brands, if not all, can only certify the watch if genuine or not based on movements' geneva decor & numberings.

And, a lot of unscrupulous ppl took advantage to make a 'frankestien' watch to bypass the checks for a better profit.

I knew only one trader here who can spot a fake dial on vintage watches.
    And he no longer play with vintages.
    I guess even him had given up.
    That's oso part of the reason why vintage watches are being shun by my Japanese & HK frens & customers these days.

Comment

yep heard of a certain dealer switching dials to increase the price of the watch. terrible.
      fallraen
      "Grandpa were you a hero in the war?" "No,"he answered,"but I served in a company of heros."

Comment

Hi edsonchan,

Glad you got your watches back. We learn something from your horrible experience.

Cheers,
        Red sub 1680 / sub 1680 / sub 16610 / Explorer II black & white /

Comment

After this episode, I have really woken up.

Not to mentioned I almost lost $12,000 worth of my collection, I went through so much trouble to trace this person down.

I had to post my story online to let some of the people here to mock at me telling me why I am so ignorant, makling me felt really stupid.

The amount of time-off and leave from the office to authenticate the watch, to make the police report 2 times to see different IOs is too much to even mention.

I had to beg my friends to trace the HI-card number for me only to know that it was registered by some Bangladesh. After that I even went to track this Bangladesh and realised that he is no longer in Singapore.

After getting clues for some very helpful friends here on sg-roc, I went to trace further. I beg even more friends to get his personal address and mobile number. I went all the way to trace his family records. Mind you, these things are not easy and I am risking myself.

He is lucky that he surrendered himself even before I use these information I gathered. But still he was a step too late. I have went through all these. I am disgusted and sick for his behavior. He shouldn't have cheated in the first place.

He says the watches were bought from other means and he was duped as well. If so, why did he use a fake number? What did he lie about his name? Why did he tell me that he is not registered in this forum yet? I did not buy his story.

When I got back my watch, I was relieved and happy. In my mind, whatever it is, he came forward. He was apologetic. He hand in my watches by sending them to me. I didn't need to lift a finger.

Even after I recover these watches, more information came to me. Today, I finally found out a little more. I know what is his usual nick in sg-roc already.

Part of me want to warn the public about him, another part of me feels that I should have a 'live and let live' sttitude and let the matter go. Everyone make mistakes.

Honestly, if I had went to his house and knock the door, retrieve the watches and confronted him. If he retaliate and deny the situation (which is definitely what I was expecting at first). I would not hesitate to post his picture, his personal details here and all other forums.

What should I do?

Comment

i personally think you should post his nick and other info here to warn others.

what he did is wrong and def illegal. the qn is, if you covered for him now just cos you got back your watches, how would you feel if he continue to cheat other bros because you refuse to inform others? Would you be monitoring him to make sure he really changed?

I believe people helped you in your time of need. but then think again. If the others that he cheated before you had disclosed this piece of info. Would you have to go thru that much trouble? Making away with just 1 rolex or pam would have easily gotten him 5-6k, which is more than what most people earn here.

If I knew that my covering for someone would indirectly result in others being cheated, then I would def be guilty inside. Of cos, I can lso just say, its not my problem...but is it really ok?

just my 2 cents. To reveal or not to reveal is really up to you. But I don see why we should cover for such people. If he is really repentent, I don see why he is afriad to own up here in the first place.
            I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch.........

Comment

There is one more thing I wanna add.

I am not siding him because I got back my watches. As mentioned, the police are still investigating this matter. He is using the same story to tell the police and I am not interfering with the judgement of the police.

If anyone had posted his evil doing here disclosing his regular nick, from the situation, I might be cheated by him as well. Since he was not using his regular number and nick.

His regular nick has been silent with no recent post since June 09.

He has been using other nick since then. The reason is obvious.

The thing about disclosing him here would more like embarassing him if he has friends here who know his nick and himself in person.

If he still wants to do illegal things, he can still do it with new nicks, by telling people that he has not registered and by using pre-paid cards.

I have in fact made the matter smaller by accepting the watches. My legal advisor told me if I had used all the information and evidence to sue him, there is a high chance that I might be able to get compensation from him other than the watches.

Comment

I understand now

Originally posted by edsonchan View Post

I am not siding him because I got back my watches. As mentioned, the police are still investigating this matter. He is using the same story to tell the police and I am not interfering with the judgement of the police.

If anyone had posted his evil doing here disclosing his regular nick, from the situation, I might be cheated by him as well. Since he was not using his regular number and nick.

The thing about disclosing him here would more like embarassing him if he has friends here who know his nick and himself in person.

If he still wants to do illegal things, he can still do it with new nicks, by telling people that he has not registered and by using pre-paid cards.

I have in fact made the matter smaller by accepting the watches. My legal advisor told me if I had used all the information and evidence to sue him, there is a high chance that I might be able to get compensation from him other than the watches.
                You are doing the right thing. I think once police had concluded their investigations, we can know his nick....

Comment

ya, thats why I said his nick and other info. Cos like what you mentioned, his nick can be changed. but then again, if mods know his nick., any chance to also know his IP and take note?

but like I said, its really up to you. alternatively, just don bother and leave everything in the police hands. Should be the best and safest bet now.
                  I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch.........

Comment

Oceanklassik really have foresight.

Originally posted by Oceanklassik View Post
                    "There's more that meets the eye" - Transformer One
                    Originally posted by edsonchan View Post
                    He is lucky that he surrendered himself even before I use these information I gathered.

When I got back my watch, I was relieved and happy. In my mind, whatever it is, he came forward. He was apologetic. He hand in my watches by sending them to me. I didn't need to lift a finger.
                    if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
                    1. subject heading indicating your issue
                    2. your nick
                    3. your corresponding email address
                    4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

• Originally posted by exxondus View Post
                      ya, thats why I said his nick and other info. Cos like what you mentioned, his nick can be changed. but then again, if mods know his nick., any chance to also know his IP and take note?

but like I said, its really up to you. alternatively, just don bother and leave everything in the police hands. Should be the best and safest bet now.
                      What other information is appropriate?

IC number? Address? Wife's name? Children's name?
                      Or what?

Comment

• i dont think we need wifey and kids name. but defintely nick + "real name" + address + etc.
                        [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
                        [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
                        Blue 6694
                        Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
                        [U]"My collection"[/U]:
                        [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

• Originally posted by triton View Post
                          Oceanklassik really have foresight.
                          Agree.... definitely great foreskin... err... foresight.
                          "Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana."
                          --Groucho Marx--

*For faster response, pls direct all questions to my email: destro22bt@gmail.com thanks!

Comment

• Originally posted by edsonchan View Post
                            What other information is appropriate?

IC number? Address? Wife's name? Children's name?
                            Or what?
                            Hi bro, not too sure if u are being sarcastic with ur post. Bt let's just leave it as-is. No pt getting into arguments or make things unpleasant.

When things happened, we all put out differences aside n helped one another by givng advice eg sim cards can be traced , facial features, etc.

let's just leave things to the police. But a sincere advice to you is, u mentioned here that u had information which u did not use cos he returned the watches to u. Pls don withhold anythg if police asks you least u might get into issues. Not postng here is fine as its really your info but hiding info fr the police that might hinder their investigations i believe is a crime. ( correct me if I am wrong. Movies always say its wrong to withhold info fr police when they ask)

Its really your decision in the end

peace out and cheers

Comment

• EdsonChen,
                              I heard about this thread from my watch dealer today so came to take a look. you're lucky!

I have made 3 police reports in my life - one of which involved a real arrow being fired into my compound. Fact of the matter - the police were of zero help. IO never even followed up.

So the credit for recovery goes entirely to you, not the police.

Next thing bros, can I suggest that those of you listing watches you own in your sig should remove them - you're attracting trouble! Esp one with the price of each piece also attached to the sig.

Comment

• Originally posted by edsonchan View Post

Is his last post on his previous nick = 08-06-09, 05:08 PM, if true, i think this guy need to be exposed to all the menbers here.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X