Want to buy a Panerai

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want to buy a Panerai

Been wearing my Omega Speedmaster for 8 years now and i have recently been poisoned by Panerai.

The itch is too strong to go away and i have shortlisted the below models which I like from the official website. I like those which shows the Date

48 - 40mm
    104 - 44mm
    164 - 44mm
    270 - 44mm
    312 - 44mm
    320 - 44mm
    321 - 44mm
    351 - 44mm
    359 - 44mm
    392 - 42mm

My question is:

1. Is buying from grey market safe? Recently there are alot of reports about counterfeits. Any reputable ones and can i order any model from them? How do they work?

2. If buying from local ADs, what is the usual discount for Panerai? Is it 5%? Or is it better to wait for sale like the recent Cortina one?

Originally posted by Donald83 View Post
    Been wearing my Omega Speedmaster for 8 years now and i have recently been poisoned by Panerai.

The itch is too strong to go away and i have shortlisted the below models which I like from the official website. I like those which shows the Date

48 - 40mm
    104 - 44mm
    164 - 44mm
    270 - 44mm
    312 - 44mm
    320 - 44mm
    321 - 44mm
    351 - 44mm
    359 - 44mm
    392 - 42mm

My question is:

1. Is buying from grey market safe? Recently there are alot of reports about counterfeits. Any reputable ones and can i order any model from them? How do they work?

2. If buying from local ADs, what is the usual discount for Panerai? Is it 5%? Or is it better to wait for sale like the recent Cortina one?
    Another one is bitten by the PAM bug, good!

Looks like you prefer Luminor than Radiomir, good because I too, have only the Luminor therefore kindly allow me to input my humble opinion.

Luminor Base vs Luminor Marina 1950 watch case. Which do you prefer? The 48, 104 and 164 are all Luminor base. The watch case is different aesthetically. The 270, 312, 320, 321, 351, 359 and 392 are all Luminor Marina 1950 case.

Looks like you prefer auto (self-winding) movement because you have indicated all that are auto. No doubts here then. Question here is; do you prefer in-house movement or ETA movement? 48, 104 and 164 are ETA and the rest are PAM in-house movement.

The Luminor Marina 1950 movement - these models are using the P.9000 series in-house movement except for the 270 which uses P.2003 movement. 312, 351 & 359 are using P.9000, these 3 watches are basically the same watch with the same function except for the appearance and case material. 320 (P9001) and 321 (P9002) are also basically the same except with the GMT function as in the 270 but all these 3 watches have different power reserve capabilities. Do you need this GMT function?

392 is the little brother of 312. Same everything except the case is smaller at 42 MM and the dial does not have the digit '9' and the lugs is 22 MM.

Case material? Which do you prefer? Stainless Steel or Titanium. All models you quoted are Stainless Steel except for PAM00351's case which is titanium. Do also take note, some watches are brushed steel whereas some are all polished steel.

Dials. All are black, only the 351 is tobacco brown. The digits and the batons/sticks on the Luminor Base models you picked are sausage. My wide is weating the 48, I can confirm it is sausage, I am unsure about the 104 & 164. You have to check it out yourself. All the digits on the Luminor Marina 1950 you mentioned are sandwich dials. Disclaimer, please don't blame me if Panerai changed the models you want to sausage dials.

Sept 21 - I brought a friend from Boleh Land to purchase a PAM. He bought the 312 finally after contemplating among 510, 560, 562 and 312. We were at a local AD in Orchard/Scotts Road. We got a 10% discount and if you are paying by cash, you might get another 2% off or around $150.00 cheaper. I have never bought a new watch from a grey dealer so no comment here. IMHO, the 312 is a very choice for your first entry to Panerai.

Hope this helped.
    Last edited by waikeekee; 28-09-15, 12:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by waikeekee View Post
      Another one is bitten by the PAM bug, good!

Looks like you prefer Luminor than Radiomir, good because I too, have only the Luminor therefore kindly allow me to input my humble opinion.

Luminor Base vs Luminor Marina 1950 watch case. Which do you prefer? The 48, 104 and 164 are all Luminor base. The watch case is different aesthetically. The 270, 312, 320, 321, 351, 359 and 392 are all Luminor Marina 1950 case.

Looks like you prefer auto (self-winding) movement because you have indicated all that are auto. No doubts here then. Question here is; do you prefer in-house movement or ETA movement? 48, 104 and 164 are ETA and the rest are PAM in-house movement.

The Luminor Marina 1950 movement - these models are using the P.9000 series in-house movement except for the 270 which uses P.2003 movement. 312, 351 & 359 are using P.9000, these 3 watches are basically the same watch with the same function except for the appearance and case material. 320 (P9001) and 321 (P9002) are also basically the same except with the GMT function as in the 270 but all these 3 watches have different power reserve capabilities. Do you need this GMT function?

392 is the little brother of 312. Same everything except the case is smaller at 42 MM and the dial does not have the digit '9' and the lugs is 22 MM.

Case material? Which do you prefer? Stainless Steel or Titanium. All models you quoted are Stainless Steel except for PAM00351's case which is titanium. Do also take note, some watches are brushed steel whereas some are all polished steel.

Dials. All are black, only the 351 is tobacco brown. The digits and the batons/sticks on the Luminor Base models you picked are sausage. My wide is weating the 48, I can confirm it is sausage, I am unsure about the 104 & 164. You have to check it out yourself. All the digits on the Luminor Marina 1950 you mentioned are sandwich dials. Disclaimer, please don't blame me if Panerai changed the models you want to sausage dials.

Sept 21 - I brought a friend from Boleh Land to purchase a PAM. He bought the 312 finally after contemplating among 510, 560, 562 and 312. We were at a local AD in Orchard/Scotts Road. We got a 10% discount and if you are paying by cash, you might get another 2% off or around $150.00 cheaper. I have never bought a new watch from a grey dealer so no comment here. IMHO, the 312 is a very choice for your first entry to Panerai.

Hope this helped.

Thanks for your detailed advice.

Case

I would slightly prefer the Luminor Marina 1950 watch case. But otherwise, both types look good

ETA vs In-house

I do not have any preference

Can you share which AD did you go to in Orchard/Scotts? How much did ur friend pay for the 312?

Based on your info that for additional 2% discount (SGD150), that means original price is around SGD$8.3k to $8.4K?
      Last edited by Donald83; 28-09-15, 10:35 AM.

Comment

Go for a used piece so that u won't be badly hit by its depreciation. U will bleed a lost of 30% to 40% easily.

Comment

Originally posted by atwee View Post
          Go for a used piece so that u won't be badly hit by its depreciation. U will bleed a lost of 30% to 40% easily.
          Any reputable sellers?

Went Cortina at Raffles City but they dont have stock for the models i like - 351, 312, 392. They only give 5% disc

Comment

sad you not into P.5000 calibre

I owned 312, 425, 329, 233.

312 a great watch, 425 klassic collection, 329 damn solid with bracelet on. 233 one of my best but you have to bear the complication servicing costs.

I Got to say after owned few models, P.5000 calibre is one of the greatest pieces of art. If you love 00,05,112,114, you will understand. you might want to consider P.5000 calibre, 560,561,510. 560 price brand new about the price of used 312 from grey dealer. you do more homework about panerai, a little bit historic collection, mix little bit of new era understanding. you never know you might end up with 590..

P.5000 calibre is one of the greatest masterpiece just not many ppl realise. panerai had to used jaeger lecoultre movement just to run 8 days PR. Now P.5000 calibre handle this issus with cheap servicing costs.

But from what I see you want something with date. that was me some time a go.

Comment

Originally posted by clocking View Post
              233 one of my best but you have to bear the complication servicing costs.
              Have a few Panerai and agree that 233 is one of the best. Manual winding watch is not for everyone but putting that aside, 233 has beutiful case, sandwich dial, dome crystal, in house 3 barrel movement, second reset, GMT (DOT version looks better than AM/PM), see through back case, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by WatchRUs View Post
                Have a few Panerai and agree that 233 is one of the best. Manual winding watch is not for everyone but putting that aside, 233 has beutiful case, sandwich dial, dome crystal, in house 3 barrel movement, second reset, GMT (DOT version looks better than AM/PM), see through back case, etc.
                Agree 233 one of the best popular

Comment

Can you share which AD did you go to in Orchard/Scotts? How much did ur friend pay for the 312?

Based on your info that for additional 2% discount (SGD150), that means original price is around SGD$8.3k to $8.4K?
                  PM will the better option instead of naming names in the open forum.

sad you not into P.5000 calibre

I owned 312, 425, 329, 233. But from what I see you want something with date. that was me some time a go.
                  Bro: You have an excellent collection and agree with you that the P.5000 is really good. I have a 562. Let's not confuse him further. My "Boleh" friend took about 5-6 months to narrow his choices to 4. He was also looking at the 592 (P.3000 I think) but it is way out of his budget. Another thing that I would like to add is the happiness and contented look on my friends face when he finally paid for the watch. This look is really priceless. I often wondered if I have the same look after getting another PAM.

IMHO, 312 is a very good entry level for one who is getting his first PAM. Most function are there. Not the biggest but just the right size, with an excellent and proven movement, might be a bit heavy initially but after awhile, it will be fine and finally, sandwich dial c/W super luminova lume.

Comment

Originally posted by waikeekee View Post
                    PM will the better option instead of naming names in the open forum.

Bro: You have an excellent collection and agree with you that the P.5000 is really good. I have a 562. Let's not confuse him further. My "Boleh" friend took about 5-6 months to narrow his choices to 4. He was also looking at the 592 (P.3000 I think) but it is way out of his budget. Another thing that I would like to add is the happiness and contented look on my friends face when he finally paid for the watch. This look is really priceless. I often wondered if I have the same look after getting another PAM.

IMHO, 312 is a very good entry level for one who is getting his first PAM. Most function are there. Not the biggest but just the right size, with an excellent and proven movement, might be a bit heavy initially but after awhile, it will be fine and finally, sandwich dial c/W super luminova lume.
                    If you say about price 560 way more cheap than 312. I not try to confuse him but i want him to make sure what he wants

Comment

Think for me will be either 312 or 329. Tried on another 44mm and looks big. Understand 329 is 42mm and is the smaller version of 312. I have small wrist as well so will give 329 a try.

Other than that, what other differences btw 312 and 329?

Comment

Think for me will be either 312 or 329. Tried on another 44mm and looks big. Understand 329 is 42mm and is the smaller version of 312. I have small wrist as well so will give 329 a try.

I don't think so you can take 329 heavy and changky.

Comment

I don't think so you can take 329 heavy and changky.
                          Then 312 would be worse isnt it?

Comment

May i ask why 312

Comment

If you say about price 560 way more cheap than 312. I not try to confuse him but i want him to make sure what he wants
                              Bro; Yes, I understand that you are trying to open another door for him. It is just that all the models he had chosen are self-winding so no point adding more models. Frankly and personally, I prefer the base models more than the 1950 models, looks wise. I love to wind the watch. It is smooth and you have a special feeling when winding. It is just me

Bro; I think you meant PAM00392 and not 329. Besides the size, lugs width, no '9' on the dial, the 392 is the exactly same as the 312. Final decision is yours. When at the shop on the day you are getting the watch, do take your time trying all of them if they have the stock. Also take note, the prices between these two watch are only a few hundred dollars, maybe $600.00 between them. I will reply your PM when I have the contact found. I left the name card somewhere.

My advice and IMHO - get 44MM and not smaller.

He should be referring to the weight of the watch. If you are worried about weight, the only option I could think of is getting the 351 but it is about $1K more than the 312 and brown dial.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X