First Serious Watch - Looking at PAM 424

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Serious Watch - Looking at PAM 424

Hi All, I'm looking to purchase my first "serious" watch and currently on my list are -
    1. Rolex GMT II / Milgauss / Sub No-Date
    2. PAM 424

I'm looking thru the forums for any discussion about the PAM 424 and unfortunately I can't find any. Basically i like it because it's pretty low profile and the vintage looking california dial. And also it's under my $10K budget for a in-house movement.

Can any brother/sisters here provide any feedback regarding this watch?

Thank you in advance.

R u looking to get an automatic watch or a manual watch?

Date or not date?

Your choices are quite varied.

Anyway with the above choices I will take the gmt first followed by sub nd followed by 424 followed by milgauss.

But if left to just pam, as a first pam I'll take a luminor over radiomir. If low profile is what you are after, I think all Pams are out as all quite thick. Just my opinion

Originally posted by visvim View Post
    Hi All, I'm looking to purchase my first "serious" watch and currently on my list are -
    1. Rolex GMT II / Milgauss / Sub No-Date
    2. PAM 424

I'm looking thru the forums for any discussion about the PAM 424 and unfortunately I can't find any. Basically i like it because it's pretty low profile and the vintage looking california dial. And also it's under my $10K budget for a in-house movement.

Can any brother/sisters here provide any feedback regarding this watch?

Thank you in advance.

Comment

Firstly, congrats on your incoming first serious watch.

You have note down quite a list. 3 Rolexes and 1 Panerai.

Reason why there aren't many discussion about the 424 maybe because its not really a more preferred model. There are plenty of models available and buyers tend to pick others.

What feedback do you need regarding the watch? Movement? Wearability?

What I can think of is to ask owners of Pam 425 (I think there are couple of them here) if those are the type of feedbacks you looking at. Its practically the same, just a different dial.

'It ain't how hard you hit;
      it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward.
      How much you can take, and keep moving forward.
      That's how winning is done.'

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Just want to check on the dependability of this in house movement. And if it actually holds it's value well.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Just want to check on the dependability of this in house movement. And if it actually holds it's value well.
          If reliability is your concern,you can check with owners of 372 and they are quite a handful of them around here. It's the exact same movement used on both models.

Value wise,try browsing the Panerai garage or other sales site to get the rough idea. My opinion is,if a particular model is rarely discussed, especially Panerai, means it's not really a very popular model and that will give you some hint about the resale value.

But if it sings to you,and you intend to wear it for long,the 424 is a lovely piece.

Base purely on your list, I would pick the Sub ND ceramic if it was my first serious watch.

Simplicity at its best.

Comment

My first Serious Rolex, milgauss GV, so excited like small kid, got bored in the end, last me 4 months, same goes to Sub Date. Rolex GMT II C, served me well, one of the best humble Rolex timepiece I ever owned, supposed to be my Serious Watch, just no idea what went wrong but GMT2C super..

I got my First Serious PAM 312 super crazy like drunk man, never stop me there Radiomir must have one for weekend collection, after long searched studied and compared I end up with 424 & 425, I got lost what should I do which one the best collection, I loved 424 but I end up with 425. I gave up all my Rolex because I got my answer, if happen I going to get into ROLEX just for one colletion, GMT2C, regardless, Blackly , Batman, wonder woman.

If you want to ask me about values, "ROLEX" why because it works damn like 916, like what my father gave the wedding ring to my mom, because of the VALUES that's pound shop takes that in with good return. I got married to nice overstayed chick oops I mean oversea, she told me please not 916, WG with small diamond will do, I told her 916 got values, she told me that's because you think of pound shop, if you look at luxury forum stand values, just need to make the right choice. I asked few SG chick, what you like for your wedding ring, 916 got values but no class lah, I hope this help.

I don't say ROLEX not good, I not say PAM good, what I say PAM works on me.

Sadly I sold my 312 and 425 because heart failure, I sold here in this forum, values not bad at all, just you need the right choice.

424 is DAMN sweet pam but I think you not ready with that, go for 372, look for Spike might deal with happy price he offer. Please note manual 47mm not big heavy like auto 47mm, its set well haha..

WARNING
            I not the best advice but I try my best..

Comment

Haha...thanks bro Clocking for your kind words...yes, my minty PAM 372 is still available....

Back to topic, imho, the California dial of the updated 424 without date function is more cleaner now. No worries with the P3000 movement, it is as solid as the automatic ones..and you got to appreciate the watch every morning you wind it....cheerio..

Comment

Thank you all for the advice. In the end I've settled for a Milgauss as my first serious watch. Both within my budget and looks quirky enough from the sea of rolexes out there.

Actually i'm looking to get a affordable (2nd hand if needed) Panerai for different occasions. Can you guys throw me some models to keep a look out for? Thanks!

Comment

Thank you all for the advice. In the end I've settled for a Milgauss as my first serious watch. Both within my budget and looks quirky enough from the sea of rolexes out there.

Actually i'm looking to get a affordable (2nd hand if needed) Panerai for different occasions. Can you guys throw me some models to keep a look out for? Thanks!

Congrats on your Milgauss...its always good to see an outcome different from the suggested ones. It all boils down to what you like.

Regarding the Panerai. Affordable can mean differently for different people. To me, affordable Pam will be the Zero. Can never go wrong with that. Again it depends on your definition of affordable and if the model sings to you.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X