Omega Speedmaster 50th Anniversary Moonwatch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Omega Speedmaster 50th Anniversary Moonwatch

My interest in watches were reignited by the publicity surrounding the Omega Speedmaster 50th Anniversary Moonwatch.

It differs from the conventional moonwatch in three ways: one, the patch; two, the sapphire glass as opposed to the usual hexalite crystal (plastic) glass; and three, the limited edition (5,957 pieces)

Apparently, in the mid-60s, five different brands of chronographs were purchased by NASA for testing. The Speedmaster passed NASA's numerous tests, whereas the Rolex, Breitling, Bulova, Longines and Heuer, failed. For owners of Omega, this gives a sense of pride in ownership because Omega was the official moonwatch.

The Rolex GMT however was a favourite among the astronauts and they wore
    it to the moon, thus making it the unofficial moonwatch. This automatic has to be wound, as zero-gravity conditions rendered the self-winding mechanism ineffective.

So, here I am, reviving my interest in Rolexes as well.

My first Omega speedie was the display-back 3573.5 ...
    but somehow while practical, the very new "sapphire sandwich" I had seemed ... sterile. So I sold it when someone I knew was looking for one.

I did consider the 50th anniv model... but it seems a lot to spend on a speedie ... for that money I would rather have a rolex.

So in the end, last week I picked up a pre-moon Speedie from 1969 ...
    my interest is ignited too ... there is something romantic about having a speedie made in the year of the moon-landings ... just before they were staped as being moon watches.

I'm looking for another one soon ... haven't decided which one yet... but it will be one of those in the basic line and not the variations or limited editions.

Comment

Pre-moon speedie

Originally posted by keltzar View Post
      My first Omega speedie was the display-back 3573.5 ...

So in the end, last week I picked up a pre-moon Speedie from 1969 ...
      my interest is ignited too ... there is something romantic about having a speedie made in the year of the moon-landings ... just before they were staped as being moon watches.

Pre-moon speedie
      Is yours the same as this one which I saw in Monster Time. 861 movement. Bracelet is different from current models. Selling for $2550. Seems like a reasonbale price to pay. What do you think?

Comment

This is also good for your consideration. See this link:
        http://www.sg-roc.com/showthread.php?t=8943

Comment

Omega Speedmaster 3573.50.00

Originally posted by The One View Post
          This is also good for your consideration. See this link:
          http://www.sg-roc.com/showthread.php?t=8943
          Thanks!

Same model as the one Keltzar had. Price is quite attractive.

You are so knowledgeable on Rolexs. Are you into Omegas too?

Comment

Some omegas only.

Such as Omega Snoopy or Apollo 11.

Thanks too bro!.

Comment

I did ask about the one in the link ... it's a 3572.5 , not 3573.50

Comment

Originally posted by keltzar View Post
                I did ask about the one in the link ... it's a 3572.5 , not 3573.50
                yes I know. I provide the link for your consideration. reasonable price.

Comment

Thanks!

For 3573.5 its a good price, for 3572.5 it's a "fair" price.

Comment

Originally posted by R-oyster View Post
                    My interest in watches were reignited by the publicity surrounding the Omega Speedmaster 50th Anniversary Moonwatch.

It differs from the conventional moonwatch in three ways: one, the patch; two, the sapphire glass as opposed to the usual hexalite crystal (plastic) glass; and three, the limited edition (5,957 pieces)

Apparently, in the mid-60s, five different brands of chronographs were purchased by NASA for testing. The Speedmaster passed NASA's numerous tests, whereas the Rolex, Breitling, Bulova, Longines and Heuer, failed. For owners of Omega, this gives a sense of pride in ownership because Omega was the official moonwatch.

The Rolex GMT however was a favourite among the astronauts and they wore
                    it to the moon, thus making it the unofficial moonwatch. This automatic has to be wound, as zero-gravity conditions rendered the self-winding mechanism ineffective.

So, here I am, reviving my interest in Rolexes as well.
                    I have this watch and i recently changed the stainless steel bracelet to croco leather strap. I like the new look.

Comment

Speedy is very versatile and can take may type of straps

This is mine with shark skin strap

[SIZE="2"][U][B]Movement collection:[/B][/U]
                      [U]German:[/U] Junghans 687, Durowe 7420
                      [U]Russian:[/U] Poljot 3133, Poljot 2612, Vostok
                      [U]Chinese:[/U] Seagull
                      [U]Japanese:[/U] Seiko(s)
                      [U]Swiss:[/U] ETA(s)+Valjoux+Unitas(s), Zenith(s), JLC, Rolex, Lemania(s), IWC[/SIZE]

Comment

Recently i get to own 2 speedies, one of them is the 50 anniversary 'patch' speedy and the other one is a regular racing speedy.

I compare the quality of both and realised that the moonwatch looks a little 'cheaper' then the racing speedy.

- Bracelet is thinner on moonwatch, chunky on racing speedy
                        - Case feels lighter, looks smaller. I hope the SS hardness and quality is the same
                        - When i tap on the metal base of the case, it 'sounds' thinner
                        - The metal base of the case scratch easier
                        - The bezel is alluminium vs SS
                        [COLOR="Red"]
                        [/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis 7777 View Post
                          Recently i get to own 2 speedies, one of them is the 50 anniversary 'patch' speedy and the other one is a regular racing speedy.

I compare the quality of both and realised that the moonwatch looks a little 'cheaper' then the racing speedy.

- Bracelet is thinner on moonwatch, chunky on racing speedy
                          - Case feels lighter, looks smaller. I hope the SS hardness and quality is the same
                          - When i tap on the metal base of the case, it 'sounds' thinner
                          - The metal base of the case scratch easier
                          - The bezel is alluminium vs SS

Care to post a picture of a racing speedy? I am curious how does it look like. THanks.

Comment

Anyone with 50th Anniversary speedy? Asking because saw one in JW for 3950 vey expensive for 2nd hand Omega.

Comment

The 50th Anniversary is sold with little or no discount in the shops due to it being a limited edition hence 3950 is not too bad for it considering that the original RRP was 5900 and if I recall correctly, they are currently going for around6200 if you can still find it here.

Originally posted by BigBlueBird View Post
                              Anyone with 50th Anniversary speedy? Asking because saw one in JW for 3950 vey expensive for 2nd hand Omega.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X