Nav Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse

Nav Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ball EHC Deep Quest or Omeg 45.5mm Planet Ocean Cal.8500?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ball EHC Deep Quest or Omeg 45.5mm Planet Ocean Cal.8500?

Hi All,

I’ve been wanting to treat myself to a new watch to mark a new phase in my career, and I’ve always wanted the Omega Planet Ocean 45.5mm. I finally set my sights on one and initially the price just put me off. I figured I loved it but not enough to part with that much money on a watch at the time.

So then I set my sights on another really handsome watch – to me at least – the Ball EHC Deep Quest. Now this was a much more palatable price. I think most here would know roughly how much it would cost after the discount.
    So here’s the thing. On a recent trip overseas I found a source to get the Omega Planet Ocean 45.5m Cal.8500 (standard one not Skyfall, not Olympic edition nothing like that) at just SGD$1k above the Ball EHC DQ.

That really put me in a dilemma and I would like to hear from all here. Now I don’t want to turn this discussion into an Omega vs. Ball thing here because to me the brand is only a small portion of it. I’m really in love with the looks and both appeal to me. The Planet Ocean having the beautiful movement and display back, and the Deep Quest having the mixed Titanium and Steel bracelet and the monocoque case construction..

I have read somewhere some time ago that Omega is in the midst of ramping up volume of their silicon hairspring technology and that eventually all Omega mechanical calibers will have it plus improved antimagnetic technology. On the other hand the Ball DQ already has the superb ETA2892-A2 and both are COSC so to me it’s a tossup. Cal.8500 would be nicer but I worry about reliability issues. I have seen and heard of movements stopping and sometimes Omega will not cover the repair under warranty?

I also keep reading about the buttery smooth winding on the DQ. Any bros here have both? Any opinions to share?

Thanks for reading.

If u r brand conscious, omega is the watch to go and they use their in-house co-axial movement which they bought over from late Dr George Daniels. But any repair might would see you heading back to swatch.co.

Ball DQ is a solid watch( I dun own one but got classic II EHC ). Just that the thick glass make the watch look a bit weird. Repair wise also headache as i believe the movement is fix from top ( like B&R BR series ) as there is no case back... Better to put both watch on yr hand to compare. Ultimately being a Ballwatch fan that dun own any omega and never will, be on the ball!
    sigpic

Comment

I own neither of the watches but much prefer the Cal 2500 PO. The 8500 is a tad too thick : (

Heard loads of good comments about the Deep Quest. The only negative one was regarding its bracelet. Apparently not so comfy. But when it is on OEM rubber, all qualms gone : )

Good luck, keep us posted!

Comment

I've not own an omega before but i do own a ball watch (not the deep quest though).
        Overall, i'm satisfied with the ball watch. the gas tubes makes it a pleasant piece on my wrist whenever i'm in some place dark.

1 other consideration between the deep quest and planet ocean, i feel is the crown lock. not everyone is used to the unique crown lock of ball ehc series.

if i'm in your shoes, i'll pick the omega over ball.
        i believe your omega source is a special discount so i'll grab that opportunity.
        ball, with the standard discount, should be easier to get anytime.
        that's my 2 cents worth.

Comment

You are lucky bro... I own a planet ocean and a deep quest....
          I would say i strongly prefer Deep Quest..Below are my reason :
          1) Its really a more robust watch if you dont take care of watches
          2) It really helps me to read the time even in dark area.
          3) FYI mono block is actually better and not difficult to repair the watch at all. they just use special tools to open, the rest are the same as other watches
          4) it is much lighter than planet ocean.

I wear more of the deep quest.

You can ask those wearing deep quest like Ben Cheong.... he can give you feedback

But decision is yours....
          Happy shopping.
          Last edited by titanian20; 17-06-13, 01:03 PM.

Comment

I own both PO 45.5 chrono Caliber 3313 and DQ.

I would like to add a few more differences below of bro titanian20.

1. Omega bracelet is more comfortable than Ball, both are well made, but ball butterfly clapse tend to bite my inner wrist as I wear it quite near to my hand. On another side, DQ sit firmer thanks to the curvature of the horn, PO will slide side way due to it heavy weight.
            2. Turning the DQ crown is absolutely an enjoyment, never had this kind of quality in all my watch collection.
            3. IMO,PO look nicer in the first sight, DQ glow on my longer.
            4. Both on par in the finishing, Ball has better precision on the bracelet gap, you will know if you size your bracelet yourself.
            5. Ti has a warm feel compare to SS.

I like both, but my DQ get more vote on most of the morning.

Comment

Double post, click too fast.

Comment

Thank you for the response guys. I do like the Ball. It’s a wonderful combination of technology and because of this I feel like it’s a better value-for-money watch. Today I just saw someone on the plane wearing the new PO 45.5mm. Yes it’s tall I agree but not too tall and yes the older model wore a lot flatter and therefore looked smaller, but I do not think the Planet Ocean is too OTT yet. There are bigger PAMs and taller watches out there. Both will fit under a dress shirt right?

I went to see the Ball DQ at the shop once, and I’m reluctant to go back since I’m not ready to make a purchase yet. I already have the SMP Bondquartz and I do not think Omega is a high end brand so I suppose branding is not that important to me. Before the brand people will notice the watch and I think both are very eye-catching. I’m leaning towards the Ball but the Omega PO is also not a special deal. I think Yodobashi gives up to a 30% discount on list price and another 5% if you are not a local. They provide the discount at the store itself. I learned this from a Japanese colleague who is also eyeing the PO. I would assume I can get this anytime as long as the prices don't go up.

Comment

Originally posted by nimm12
                  branding wise omega is a notch above ball
                  You are right, Omega branding, history, movement, and price are a level up than Ball.
                  Build quality I would say on par.

Comment

Ballwatch Sg aftersale service is top notch too!
                    sigpic

Comment

OMEGA would be common but probably better resale than the Ball, however the Ball would be more unique and memorable.

Comment

Couldn't agree more.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X