Portuguese hand-wound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Portuguese hand-wound

hi all, i was a THG earlier trying out the portuguese chrono. it was then that i saw the hand wound version. tried it on and found it quite nice too. price for both are not too far apart. went on the net and researched a little about it. i realised that is it using in house movement versus chrono on ETA movement. based on this point, would be it a better bet to get the hand wound over the chrono ? thanks !

in house movement purist will definitely go for in house movement
    btw, the chrono is a heavily modded valjoux 7750 movement by iwc
    i was told, iwc do not use eta movement lock-stock-barrel or simply beautify it
    iwc modify the movement substantially and up the standard and quality to meet iwc objective

i got the hand wound IW545408 last year
    i'm also thinking to get the chrono if possible ... hehe

Originally posted by GSi View Post
    hi all, i was a THG earlier trying out the portuguese chrono. it was then that i saw the hand wound version. tried it on and found it quite nice too. price for both are not too far apart. went on the net and researched a little about it. i realised that is it using in house movement versus chrono on ETA movement. based on this point, would be it a better bet to get the hand wound over the chrono ? thanks !

Comment

How many watches do you have? Do you use a winder? If you have many watches and rotate them, a hand wound watch requires more attention then the rest. You got to wind the watch every 2 days if it is not your everyday watch. Something you need to take note.... Not so fun adjusting you time each time you want to wear your watch,
      My Current

Rolex Daytona 116515
      Rolex Submariner 16610
      Rolex Submariner 116610
      Rolex Date 1550
      IWC Spitfire Chronograph 371705
      IWC Portuguese 7 Days 500107
      Omega Ocean Planet 22015000
      Bell & Ross Heritage BR126
      Grand Seiko GMT SBGM021
      Seiko Sumo SBDC001
      Seiko Sumo SBDC003
      Seiko Marinemaster SBDX012
      Seiko Brightz SDGZ013 Chronograph

Comment

In case you wish to "flip" watch, chrono is more popular than hand wound. Juz follow your heart Lor...
        Current babies:
        Sub 16610LN D series
        PAM 312 M series
        IWC 500112 Laureus Limited Edition

Wish list:
        116613LB?
        a good White dial watch

Comment

hi there, thanks for the comments. i did not know that the movement is modified by IWC.

both watches are nice... dilemma !!

hahaaa

Originally posted by wt_know View Post
          in house movement purist will definitely go for in house movement
          btw, the chrono is a heavily modded valjoux 7750 movement by iwc
          i was told, iwc do not use eta movement lock-stock-barrel or simply beautify it
          iwc modify the movement substantially and up the standard and quality to meet iwc objective

i got the hand wound IW545408 last year
          i'm also thinking to get the chrono if possible ... hehe

Comment

i have a total of 2 now. both are russian movement and mechanical watches. i like mechanical watches and like winding them up whenever i want to wear them.

Originally posted by lthg25 View Post
            How many watches do you have? Do you use a winder? If you have many watches and rotate them, a hand wound watch requires more attention then the rest. You got to wind the watch every 2 days if it is not your everyday watch. Something you need to take note.... Not so fun adjusting you time each time you want to wear your watch,

Comment

hahaha... bro. under normal circumstances i wont sell. i buy to wear them. yes must follow heart. if i follow head... cannot i will end up not buyingn anything... hahahaa

Originally posted by kadios View Post
              In case you wish to "flip" watch, chrono is more popular than hand wound. Juz follow your heart Lor...

Comment

I had a portuguese hand wound and i sold it off a few months later. The movement and dial is really beautifully finished and at that price point it is hard to beat that look of a full sized movement. However, being a hand wound movement, i found hard to wind especially when the winding gets toward the end of the barrel. I had actually had to use a cloth to grip the crown to wind it. I also found that the rate loss towards the end of the power reserve was significant. Lastly, if you do not remind yourself to wind it everyday, you might find that the watch has stopped in the midst of wearing it.

Other than issues pertaining to rate loss and troublesome winding(imo), the watch is beautifully finished and the loud audible ticks of the balance wheel make it a really stunning timepiece

Comment

Another factor you have to consider is that Portuguese Hand-Wound is 44mm and Portuguese Chrono is 40.9mm, which is a bit small.

Comment

hi there thanks for the comments. i find it strange that you will need that amount of strength to wind a watch when it is almost fully wound. i have to agree that it is a nice watch

Originally posted by justin.meridabikes View Post
                    I had a portuguese hand wound and i sold it off a few months later. The movement and dial is really beautifully finished and at that price point it is hard to beat that look of a full sized movement. However, being a hand wound movement, i found hard to wind especially when the winding gets toward the end of the barrel. I had actually had to use a cloth to grip the crown to wind it. I also found that the rate loss towards the end of the power reserve was significant. Lastly, if you do not remind yourself to wind it everyday, you might find that the watch has stopped in the midst of wearing it.

Other than issues pertaining to rate loss and troublesome winding(imo), the watch is beautifully finished and the loud audible ticks of the balance wheel make it a really stunning timepiece

Comment

hi there, yes i am aware of the size difference. both are very nice watches. i went for the 7 days instead

Originally posted by Robinson88 View Post
                      Another factor you have to consider is that Portuguese Hand-Wound is 44mm and Portuguese Chrono is 40.9mm, which is a bit small.

Comment

hi there thanks for the comments. i find it strange that you will need that amount of strength to wind a watch when it is almost fully wound. i have to agree that it is a nice watch
                        that is because of the tiny crown and the amount of pressure you have to use to grip it before you turn. hahaha enjoy your 7 days! but make sure to check its rate every now and then:P

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X