X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resale value low?

Hi,
    Why does a tag resale value is so low?

Can anyonebshare from the movement point of view?

my personal thoughts is that it all boils down to brand positioning & exclusivity... tag heuer is mainly marketed towards the entry level to mass market consumers. resale value is all tied to how much the secondary market is willing to pay for a pre-owned piece, so the more ostentatious and exclusive a brand is marketed, the more people will desire the own the piece.

there are a few highly sought models in the monaco series though.
    elusive

Comment

Yap agreed eg my grand carrera cost me 4500 after disc........5 yrs later probably worth 2k plus

Comment

any brands besides Rolex tends to have a low resale value
        not only Tag but also Omega , Breitling and etc
        at least 30-40% of original price will lost after 1 year usage

Comment

so a pre owned Aquaracer will be between $1k to $1.5k ?

Comment

Originally posted by PO8500 View Post
            any brands besides Rolex tends to have a low resale value
            not only Tag but also Omega , Breitling and etc
            at least 30-40% of original price will lost after 1 year usage
            It's amazing that Rolex produces the highest number of watches every year but can still hold their value well without exclusivity. It all voices down to marketing strategy and brand positioning as mentioned above as they know how to reach out to large mass without degrading their brand prestige. However demand can change and I believe brands like Breitling and Omega will still rise in value in time to come since they also produce in house movements now and also looking at increasing their production. Even without demand they will still rise with inflation which in turn boosts resale. However that will be a long time from now if u are looking at breaking even. For now the only brand that can surpass Rolex in resale is Patek Phillippe.

The reason behind Tag Heuer's low resale is their brand positioning again as mentioned above. U can find Tag Heuer in shops like Vincent Watch but also higher end ADs like Sincere Watches. So they are the higher end in the former and lower end in the latter, therefore referred to as a "Transition Level", for people who wants to own a luxury watch but restricted to a limited budget. They do have higher end pieces but shuns buyers who are sourcing for prestigious watches as they produce mostly lower end pieces that affects the prestige of the brand. They also mostly use lower grade materials for most of their watches to save cost in order to make them more affordable. Lack of in house movement and mostly trend following styling also affects their value. That makes Rolex superior where this is concerned as they reach out to the mass without compromising on the costing. "Spend a little more and enjoy the prestige" is their strategy. A very good example of such strategy is Chanel Bags... Ladies will know...

Comment

is tag heur low resale value largely due to fast pace release of new models?

Comment

Not so much to do with fast intro of new models
                More likely because it is a brand targeted at low tier market hence not a popular choice among watch collectors who generally prefer high tier like rolex panerai AP, etc, which tend to have better resale value

This has something to do with brand history, classic design, market positioning, branding and prestige

Originally posted by wt_know View Post
                Last edited by skydweller_sg; 03-02-13, 02:33 PM.

Comment

if i am not wrong, rolex watches have high resale value in asia but not in europe.

Comment

Originally posted by wt_know View Post
                    Agreed! So more the brand positioning make Tag become a fashion brand to those watch collectors.

Comment

The resale value for TH is low, that y i always look for vintage resale TH. Some look better than current new design. The entry level one.

Comment

Does it mean that a 1yr old tag is the best value? If one could get it at 30-40% off new, and not expect to lose more than, say 10%, in the next few years?

Comment

I've been searching for an entry level automatic watch recently. I do noticed that the resale value of Tag Heuer is low compared to other brands.

Comment

i am searching for a pre-owned 1887 calibre, but find it really rare

Comment

Originally posted by nimm12
                              my tag was sold at 35% of retail price... i never touched tag since
                              and rolex sports SS models rarely lose more than 35% of retail price
                              elusive

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X